Low 'Location' Rating !?!?

Loi4
Level 2
Nairobi, Kenya

Low 'Location' Rating !?!?

Here's somethig that makes me want to scream: 

The location of my listing is clearly described on the listing description. A guest chooses my listing out of all the others, has a good stay, and then gives me a low 'location' rating, with feedback that the house is 'away from town/central business district'. Now, this is information which is CLEARLY stated on the listing! If they wanted a location that is close to town, then why did they choose my place???!!! The distance between my place and the CBD is clearly given on the listing, and location of my house is clearly and easily visible on Google Maps, so this guest chose my place with all this information - and then they come and give me a lower rating - after they chose it!!!! Arrrggghhhh! 

And then, another comment that made me want to punch a wall, was that the house was 'difficult to find'... When what had really happened is that the guest agreed to be dropped by someone who does not know the area and isn't familiar with Google Maps. Now, my place is along a major highway, very clearly labelled on the map, the road is clearly labelled with a big sign post, and the main gate is clearly labelled in plain English. I gave detailed directions, including identifiable landmarks - a huge petrol station that is literally opposite the gate, to the guest via text.

And yet her driver (not a real taxi driver but a pastor who decided he must chaperone the visitors since they would be giving a talk a his church) called me about 5 times asking for directions, he would not understand basic directions like 'to the right' and 'opposite the petrol station', and in the end I literally had to go out to the main road and get them, because the were right there but they could not see the gate right in front of them! 

And then, the feedback for my low location rating was that the house is 'difficult to find' - OMG - on a main highway!?!! You agreed to be chaperoned by an idiot is what happened! 

Sigh! 

What can Airbnb do about this? Especially because when a guest books, they have already chosen the location that they prefer so they should not then turn around and say the location was inadequate because it was far from ABC or D. If they needed to be near a certain place, then why didn't they book a place that was closer? Why give a low rating based on such a thing when you had the chance to not book the place? 

15 Replies 15
Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Hi Loi, we had the same problem when we first started out on Airbnb. How we were able to fix the same problem with low location rating was add details how long thing will take.

For example, our guests stay with us to work at a nearby hospital. On google maps it says 10 minutes, but really it probably takes 20. Put details of how long things will take in your Airbnb listing and you'd be surprised how many less low location ratings youll get. I hope this helped - Devin

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Loi4@Devin-and-Sarah0 Hello, yes, it can be a disappointment for sure - BUT, the good news is - from everything I know about Airbnb - Location DOES NOT actually count when scoring say for super host, etc. So as we say here in my family, you can't fix stupid - and some can't find there way out of wet paper bag - so folks will struggle with THEIR impression of location, whether it suits them or not, AND since many don't read very well - we have a double problem.

So don't panic - it's just how things go and there are many guests that DO their homework and know how to use google maps and more.

I write and show pictures of the beach - and in the first paragraph of description say beach is 25-30 mins. drive - I also write that under the photos of beach - STILL - they see it and I suppose assume it is out the back window- DUH ! 

happy hosting - Blessings, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Loi4

Hey Loi, you are a Superhost with 145 great reviews under your belt!

Mate you are better than this.....let it roll off you and just concentrate on what has made you a great Airbnb host.

Location has nothing to do with you! Someone wants a listing in the middle of town but 'oh me oh my', look at those prices! So they book with you with a price that satisfies their budget and then says it was not where they wanted it!! Loi, do you think that says anything about you? All that tells us is..... the guest is a di*khead!!

I do know where you are coming from though Loi! Although the guest thought your listing was great in every way, your hosting was superb, it was  just not where they wanted it and they gave you a 3-4 star overall  because of that location thing....and that is what is hurting you! I know, I have 8 reviews just the same....5 star in every sense of the word, but they actually had to walk 40 steps from the road pavement to the front door of the listing, and could not understand why there was not an illuminate 'flight path' for them to follow and guide them along the way!

Loi, if there is a fortunate side to this, these location freaks are few and far between....maybe you have just struck a pocket of them and your next 50 guests will just love where you are and what you offer.

Let it go, as I said Loi, you are better than this.....ok!

Cheers......Rob

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

You're not alone! This is a pretty common complaint amongst hosts. So much so that Airbnb is looking at making changes to the "location" section of the review. Here's what they said in the most recent Host Q&A:

"Regarding reviews of your location, we understand that your location isn’t something you can change. But it is something that helps guests decide if it’s the right spot for them to book. Guests are asked to rate how convenient they think the location is, and that’s subjective, since preferences vary. This rating doesn’t say anything about the quality of your hosting or your listing and it does not affect your search ranking, overall experience rating, or eligibility for special programs like Superhost or Plus."

Airbnb has been “looking into” this issue with low ratings for location FOR AGES! Talking about it is very different than doing something about it.

Orion2
Level 2
Tulum, Mexico

The location review option should really be removed. 

I agree.  It's the location that is 1) chosen by the guests, 2) shown on the map, 3) specific address given w/in time limit for free cancellation, so if the guest does not like the location, they have no one to blame but themselves.

If guests believe the location description in the listing is somehow inaccurate, then they can mention this in the review itself and mark down on accuracy.  

But choosing a listing that is 30 minutes from downtown and then complaining because you are 30 minutes from downtown or choosing a remote cabin and then complaining that the town is too far is silly and pointless to be including in any review system.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

As a guest, long before I was a host, I always interpreted the 'location' review more in the sense of 'neighbourhood', ie pleasant, noisy, intimidating, peaceful....  Mainly because I couldn't believe they were asking me to score something I'd chosen! Still not something the host can control, but I can see why it would be useful info for future guests.

As a host I've been dinged on location because guests didn't bother to read my directions which included an explicit warning not to rely on their satnav!

@Kathie0 agree, that is how I think it can be interpreted however where Airbnb fails is offering a description for each category. There is no description about what exactly they are reviewing. Is location a place on the map or the neighborhood? 

"Overall" category is the worst, completely ridiculous and absurd, and should be eliminated entirely - what the heck does Overall mean, that is not already covered under the other 6 categories??? Again no description. I don't understand how Airbnb company still thinks this rating system is good? Its extremely flawed.

ha! yes, same, dinged on location because they followed google maps walking 2.5 miles instead of 500 yards by our own directions, grid reference and directions we'd repeated in a message and also in the directions for the listing.  You have to laugh or you'd cry.

Miranda116
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

To say it doesn't affect bookings, it does as it appears on the overall rating of the listing. We currently have a 4.8 rating for location and I still dont understand why people do this, having chosen our property for its peaceful location!! It has its own unique postcode so can be found on the satnav. 

There is absolutely nothing a host can do to change the location of their property! Air BnB must either scrap the category or make it perfectly clear to both guests and hosts, what it means.  

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Miranda116 

hope you are well. 

Witton is such a lovely area- so peaceful. 

Location is a separate category and unless the guests accounts for it when rating their overall experience it won’t affect you. Honestly I would be annoyed for 5 mins and then try to let it go.... life is too short to give anyone that much power to have such an affect on you. 

You are clearly a great host- so fix your crown and move on. 

Sending so much love your way! 
Yadira 🙂 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Loi4 Our second guest ever gave us a three on location. Our house is rural. You can see neighbors because its in one of the most population dense states on the eastern seaboard. It says in the listing that neighbors are visible. But yet, for his romantic Valentine's stay, he was upset because the trees on the wooded lots had lost leaves and his outdoor (cough) "romantic" activities were curtailed by the sightlines from the neighbor's house. Second review ever and knocked  us way down because he couldn't get it on al fresco. In FEBRUARY. 

But ultimately it didn't matter as we had others who rated us higher over and over. My husband and I talk about this a lot. We have a very pretty lot with beautiful landscaping and decent privacy. But is is a "five star location"? Probably not, truth be told. When I think of that, I think of a dramatic oceanfront property with 360 views or a home on the top of a mountain, overlooking a glacier or even a space right in an ancient and charming city center with a castle looming in every view-- something really special and dramatic. Though I love our little cottage with all my heart, its not anywhere close to something like that. So what does "location" even mean? Does it mean that the guest liked it well enough? Or that it was spectacular? Or that they know how to use GPS or general common sense to find it? Who the heck knows. Location is truly the thing no one can change in the hosting experience. I would like to see this category gone. The "accuracy" rating seems to cover whether or not location was well described. That strikes more to the heart of a good stay and  host honesty. 

I wouldn't sweat it OP. Its hard not to obsess over every review, but you gotta look at how you are trending. And you are doing well!

I also suffer from a poor location rating time to time, because my cabin is in suburbs not in middle of forest. In my opinion, a multifaceted assessment is left from those people who are not asked for their opinion on a daily basis - and now suddenly someone asks their opinion!