MESSY GUESTS GETS A 3 STAR REVIEW

MESSY GUESTS GETS A 3 STAR REVIEW

Hello,

This is the first time I have gone on line to ask about a messy guest.

Here are the facts:

They just left trash all over the house, instead of throwing it away, left flour, oil, bread paper products, whatever they where finished was just left on the counters, table for the maid(me) to clean up!

Left towels all over, including on the bannister rale right by the front door.

Left lights on(its in the house rules to shut the lights off!)

Broke a new blind; even pulled it off the track.

Made a rather large mark, on my newly painted walls.

Communicated that they loved the place, but never mentioned the broken blind.

it took me almost 2 weeks to write this because I didn't want to send out a bad review.

Basically this is what I wrote with some modified changes:

Oana and family left trash all over the kitchen.  They broke a new blind and didn't tell us about it.  Through what I can only imagine is carelessness, their suitcase scraped the newly painted wall so we will have to repaint over it to return it to its original color.  Oana was communicative, but showed little respect for the house. 

In her private message I suggested that she at least pick up her trash and Maybe she should stay in a hotel next time. 

I also noted that I would not host her again. Where Airbnb asks.

I gave her 3 stars.

I hesitated to even do a review because I had heard about backlash from the guests.

Sure enough she is now threatening me to go to Airbnb Corporate.

Now what?

Was I wrong in doing this review?

I have worked extremely hard to keep my place in tip top shape, and keep a super host status. I put my heart and soul into this little house by the sea!

Please help me out with your comments.

thank you

14 Replies 14
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@John-Henry0 I think the review is fine, and I would ignore the guest's message. She's going to go to Airbnb and say what: that you told the truth in your review and it hurt her feelings? Also, now that the review is published, you can't remove it anyways. I would try and put it out of your mind, and move on to the next guest, who is hopefully much more respectful of you and your place.

Thank you so much!

Are you sure your not talking about the people that just left my place. I’m sick over leaving a bad review but it’s not fair to the next hosts. I hate this part of adulting!

I couldn't agree more with you, Patricia!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@John-Henry0 Did she do a review of you?  Is the 14 days over?  What exactly is she threatening to do or say to airbnb?  

I really don't know. I have tried to be tactful in communicating with her & she seems to have calmed down a bit. I did tell her I have a video(which I do) and I sent her the photo of the mark on my wall.

@John-Henry0  So, her review of you is glowing, and you took video of the place after she left documenting the mess.  I'd say 'case closed'.  It will be difficult for her to lodge any complaint, even a false one, after giving you a wonderful review, so I wouldn't worry.  I'd stop communicating w/her if I were you unless you were going to ask for money for damages.  If not, then no reason to continue any dialogue.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

This is absolutely true, at most they can argue with Airbnb and ask that the review they (the guest) submitted with reference to the host was inaccurate.

Someone  did this to me after I gave them a similar review- they destroyed our wooden flooring, vases, flashed food down the bathroom sink and blocked it, etc, yet somehow in their eyes they were the « perfect guest » SMH. 

I would also suggest blocking this guest @John-Henry0 . You would need to go to the full Airbnb website on google chrome. Proceed to the shared message trail, and select the flag on one of their messages. This would prompt you to select an option and from you can select inappropriate behaviour for the continual harassment regarding the review you submitted. Otherwise you can mention the fact that you do not hope they stop using Airbnb but you do not plan or wish to host them again based on previous experience... then it should ask you « do you want to block this guest » and select « yes ». 

Good luck to you! 🙂

Thank you Yadira,

I had read previous reviews and the Airbnb Host say to wait until the very end of the review period to submit. Usually if someone is not a great guest, I simply don't give them a review, but this one was a bit too much. And I will have extra work painting, getting a new blind and installing.

But I have come to realize that other Airbnb hosts really need to know.

I'm not going to completely trash them, however I will just state the facts.

I will go to that site and do this, even though I don't think I will hear anymore. Especially I have photos from the day they left.

@John-Henry0  I don't understand the idea behind "if someone is not a great guest, I simply don't give them a review"? A guest doesn't have to be horrible awful in order not to be welcomed by other hosts. Please leave honest reviews for your guests so other hosts will have an idea of what to expect. If a guest wasn't SO bad, but you wouldn't want them back, you can still leave an honest review that doesn't have to be full of negatives. There's usually something nice one can find to say about someone and balance it out with the negatives. "While XX's communication throughout the booking process and pre-arrival was great, and she was personable and friendly during her stay, her lack of attention to clearly stated house rules and cleaning up after herself made this less than a pleasant experience for me. If XX can accept this as worthwhile feedback and improve those attitudes and behaviors, I think she could be a fine guest in the future."

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John-Henry0  The first paragraph of your review was fine. The second is the problem. The whole point of private feedback is that it's not public, so to say in the public review that you sent her this or that private feedback doesn't make sense. Also mentioning how many stars you gave her or that you marked that you wouldn't host her again is strange to write in a public review. You outlined why this guest was bad in the first paragraph perfectly. Concise and brief. That's all other hosts need to know. Instead of the other part, you could have just written "I cannot recommend this guest." or "I would not welcome this guest back."

I'm sorry if I wrote incorrectly.

Only the first paragraph is in her review.

I sent her a private message maybe she should stay at a hotel next time.

AND I gave her the mark of 3 stars. I didn't want to slam her too badly. I didn't write the 3 stars anyplace. Only that I wanted the community help to know the whole story.

@John-Henry0  Oh, okay, sorry. It was in the same font as the review. 

Ella59
Level 4
Albuquerque, NM

I think it’s imperative that we leave honest reviews of guests. please please please do so. I truly rely on prior reviews, if only just to brace myself for what’s to come.