Advise on how to remove make-up stains from towels?

Alyssa99
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

Advise on how to remove make-up stains from towels?

Hi all!

I was wondering if any of you have experienced makeup stains on towels/washclothes. As a women who wears makeup, I totally understand why this happens, but it does ruin towels

Has anyone considered providing makeup wipes to discourage this?

We buy individual cases "hotel size" toiletries from Amazon (which have been great), and I just noticed they also sell cases of individual makeup wipes. Thinking of buying some to set out next to the toiletries! 

Has anyone tried this with success?

Below is a link to the Amazon seller's page with makeup wipes/hotel style toiletries: 

https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A3AUQIOOBZTL8N&merchant=A3AUQIOOBZTL8N 

20 Replies 20
Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I only host women. I use taupe and lavender colored towels and also put out Neutrogena make up wipes which the guests have commented on regularly as a "nice touch." This has made the make-up issue pretty much moot for me.

The problem with towels with colors is that if you do get a real tough stain, you can't nuke 'em with bleach. There was some hotel industry study that found that people perceive white sheets and towels and the cleanest. You just have to use maximum bleach, maximum detergent and the hottest water setting for each wash. Cut corners and your whites will start to take on color. Double rinse to get the bleach smell out as much as possible.

Do your guest mind using the wipes after they’ve been opened from other guests? I can’t find any makeup remover wipes with less than 25 wipes in a package. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I've had my white wash cloths ruined by make-up stains.  I now provide wipes for make-up.  I used to put them in the guest's bathroom drawer but they didn't use them. Now I put them on to of the towels on the bed and they are used! I provide No 7 wipes - they are inexpensive and work well; you can get them at Target.

Do your guests reuse the wipes from the previous guests or do you supply a new packet for every guest?

Wisequeen0
Level 2
Como, Italy

I provide special make up remover towelletes with a note to throw this in the bin and not the toilet.  I also explain this to all my guests recently I had three Irish women explained to them to remove make up please because  it stains my sheets pillow cases  and towels   they ignored me and stained all the duvet covers pillow  sheets and towels with self tan  and make up. I'm going to charge them 30 replacement  each as they are new  and I don't think I can ever get the stains out.  Really people just trash hotel  towels and don't think about it. But when staying in a guest house you are not paying hotel rates and should not trash the linen.