Making airbnb legal in West New York (WNY), New Jersey

Mark_Lori0
Level 2
West New York, NJ

Making airbnb legal in West New York (WNY), New Jersey

West New York, NJ just passed an ordinance this week that makes short-term rentals of airbnb illegal. West New York, New Jersey attracts guests who visit New York City and we have no hotels in our town. Our Mayor just passed a resolution that effectively makes all airbnb rentals of 30 days or less illegal regardless of whether the property is owner occupied and regardless of the type of building.

I was not at the town meeting, and only learned about it from a summary news article (http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/27534113/article-West-New-York-adopts-ordinance-banning-sh... and http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/27533095/article-West-New-York-to-vote-on-ordinance-bannin...).

The full ordinance is here: http://www.westnewyorknj.org/web_content/pdf/ordinances/ord3517.pdf 

What can airbnb do to help WNY hosts provide the town officials with information on the economic benefits the town receives and the potential to implement an occupancy tax which could go to the town? Has anyone seen a forum of other hosts in my town or suggest some other method that we can coordinate a response?  Any thoughts on how to organize?

Thanks,
Mark 

43 Replies 43

Hi Dana,

You can reach out to Serhat and provide him with your e-mail and phone number for now.  To do so, look for the profile of Elaine earlier in this forum and  hover over the profile photo and click 'Send Message', to send him a private message.  We're working on getting a meeting with the Mayor to discuss further.

Let's get out tomorrow and vote.  Mayor Roque is supporting Airbnb 

Mark_Lori0
Level 2
West New York, NJ

An updated ordinance is being introduced and will be voted on next month.  It's available on the WNY Town website, in the Ordinance section.  It looks like it  would make it legal for 1 unit in a  2-4 family owner-occupied buildings, requires a permit application and adds a 3% occupancy tax.

What happened to the ordinance. Did it ever pass?

Hi Rosella,

The Town has postponed the vote.  Its currently slated for 7/19. Prior to the vote, they ask for public comment.  It always helps to have as many hosts there as possible, so hopefully you can make it.   There are likely to be some residents there who speak out against allowing short term rentals, so it really helps if supporters show up.

Tell them to do what Jersey City did, and take a percent off the top.  This will increase town revenues because I assume it goes into the general fund.  Airbnb collects it and gives it to the town directly so they don't have t rely on or chase individuals for the money.

Hi  Mark & Lori,

Please email me at *sensitive information hidden*

i would love to attend the meeting .

is there anyway around this prior to meeting if you own a home ?

I want to go, I have a few things to say to them because they are NOT helping families with special needs. Kids. I am a host but is the first time I am involved in this. I will check the town website. My tel is *sensitive information hidden* if you would like to text me more info like where will be. Blesses and hope to meet you.

Just keep using the town website - the meetings are at Town Hall on the 2nd Fl.   The town website has a calendar: http://www.westnewyorknj.org/Calendar/  

The next meeting is currently scheduled for Aug. 22.

Good lord,

So we will be adding 6% sales tax, 5% hotel tax, and that's on top of the 4% we're already paying to Jersey City!  Nothing like taxing an industry out of existance I guess, oh well, it was good while it lasted.  An extra 15% will definitely cut into the business.

Hi Mark &Lori,

We found the ordinance from WNY official website shows short rental ordinance was withdrawn on August,2018. And the upcoming rental issues meeting on Jan.13,2019. do you know what is the Airbnb status now in west New York? Is it legal or illegal? 

Thanks!

Angela 

Hi Angela, 

Our interpretation is that ordinance #318 has been withdrawn and that #317 is still in effect.  We're not legal scholars though, so would suggest your are best off contacting the town directly and seeing what guidance they give you.

As for a meeting on Jan. 13, we don't know anything about it and didn't see anything on the WNY website.  Can you provide a link to the meeting info?

Thanks,

Mark & Lori

Jennifer1067
Level 2
Fort Lee, NJ

I rather keep my information private just in case they decide to ban .  Regardless AirBB won’t give out address 

thanks to AirBB I can pay my bills and crazy taxes 

Eugene63
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

I heard the ordinance was delayed again, @Mark_Lori0  is that true??

Yes - they delayed again.  They changed the date of the meeting last week to 1 day earlier and didn't do a god job of letting people know.