Making sense of blocked dates

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Making sense of blocked dates

See below for back story...I'm trying to understand AirBnb's position on dealing with booking requests.. Before now, every reservation request I've received has either been accepted (primarily), declined (maybe 2 since 2020), or withdrawn (a few). This is the first time I've had one that went differently. I've just discovered today that the dates were blocked on my calendar, however I was able to unblock them with just a click.  So...other than potentially missing out on a booking for those future dates during the last few weeks while they were blocked unbeknownst to me, what was accomplished by this?

April 5th: request to book from a user that had what I would call a bogus user name, no profile, no reviews, 1 verification.  (See post: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Bogus-user-or-Airbnb-glitch/m-p/1600789)

Airbnb email says: A prompt response helps guests finalize their trips. If you don’t respond to Fdjiqjifj’s inquiry within 24 hours, it could negatively impact your response rate and your listing’s placement in search.

April 5th: I respond within 24 hours and ask them to update their profile with valid information.

(I get 3 more emails from Airbnb within the 24 hour period reminding me to respond)

April 8th: Guest responds to say they've booked elsewhere, and I can see at this point that the username has been corrected, and the profile looks rather normal at this point and not at all off-putting.

I never received another email from Airbnb about this request, and when I look at the detail of the reservation request, I see this:

"Jennifer's trip request expired. Propose new dates or prices with a special offer, or wait for other guests to book."

Is Airbnb blocking the dates because I didn't accept or decline (and only responded with a message)?

How could another guest book if Airbnb blocked the dates?

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicole2223 if it is a booking request then the host MUST accept or decline within 24hrs. If it is an enquiry then you just need to answer the question. 

We have never not answered a request so I don't know what happens in this case but I guess you found out the hard way.

I understand - and I thank you for pointing out the difference to me recently.

I too have never not answered a request or inquiry.  But some of the conversations that have ensued from the initial request or inquiry could go on for a few days.  Most of those end with either me declining or the request being withdrawn, but if the guest just disappears mid-conversation, I guess that's the equivalent of a withdrawn request as I've never had my calendar blocked before.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nicole2223 

If a booking request expires (no accept ot decline from the host within 24 hours), then the dates are blocked by Airbnb. The host can open them again manually.

This is the way i works already for many years:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/28/respond-to-a-request

I understand this is how it works - my question (which I suppose nobody can answer but Airbnb) is why? What's the point?  If they're really trying to send a message, I would think (a) it wouldn't be possible to UNBLOCK after airbnb blocks the dates and (b) that the messaging would be consistent.  The messages about these requests directly contradict each other - that isn't helpful to a host.  

Thanks for chiming in. 

@Nicole2223 Because you didn't respond (with an actual decline) Airbnb is assuming that you don't want or can't host on these dates so to prevent the possibility of future declines, they block your calendar. When you actually decline a request you get to select from a list of reasons; some of the reasons will keep your calendar open (uncomfortable with booking, guest plans to break house rules) and some of them will block the dates (host not available, etc.) It is all system automated, so by the lack of accept/decline, the system assumes that no response = unavailable.

THIS makes sense!  Thank you!!  Now I understand the motivation.

And I guess I should just disregard the verbiage from Airbnb that contradicts this - as I'm starting to realize much the text they insert in various places (presumably to help us) does not make much sense.

Example:   "Jennifer's trip request expired. Propose new dates or prices with a special offer, or wait for other guests to book."  (perhaps that last part should say unblock your calendar to allow other guests to book).

Thanks again!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nicole2223 

This is a good article that should help shed some light on the question:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Understanding-Response-Rate-and-Acceptance-Rate/t...

What happens to my acceptance rate if I answer a question rather than approve, pre-approve, or decline a booking request?

The short answer is this: If a guest sends you a booking request and you only answer a question, but do not approve or decline before the request times out, that counts as a decline.

A decline will block the dates on your calendar.

Thanks @Emilia42... I'm looking more for an explanation about the calendar blocking versus the acceptance rate.  Or more importantly...why the messaging Airbnb sends with regard to booking requests does not indicate "your calendar will be blocked'...

This article was the closest I could find, but it's on the UK site...https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-booking-process-3...

Appreciate the comment!