Managing your time better during peak season

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Managing your time better during peak season

Peak Season.png

Hello everyone,

Whether you are just finishing a busy season of bookings or you are going into your peak time, it is always good to have a plan to manage and keep on top of your bookings.

There are lots things that can make a huge amount of difference, ranging from the communication with your guest to making sure you have a set cleaning routine.

What are you tips for making sure your time goes further?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

47 Replies 47
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi LIzzie (I still can't tag people without getting an error message), I think honestly that out of any one aspect, the bedlinens probably take up the most time because you have to strip the bed, wash and (like you said) dry them, and many hosts will think I'm being OCD, but I do iron some of them too (you've seen my comments on other threads as to why I believe the bed is the most important feature in a guest room).

Then you have to make up the bed again and I almost always have a distraction in that one of my kitties will immediately jump into the bed and go into 'play' mode every time I do this, and I try to 'dress' the bed with throws, cushions etc. so it looks really nice. I even then spritz it with a linen spray for the final touch.

If I have made up the bed in good time before the guest arrival, I don't stress about the rest because the biggest job is done.

Sally4
Level 6
Snoqualmie Pass, WA

You can save time by using the linen spray earlier in your bed making.  I use high quality 100% cotton sheets.

I put on the fitted sheet, and spray lightly with water or linen spray.  When I tug it tight all the wrinkles seem to vanish.  I put on the top sheet, spray it, fold over the top hem and tug and tuck it in.  If a stubbon wrinkle remains, I spray again, smooth with my hand, and tuck.  I then put on the pillowcases, spraying them and then shaking them by each seam.  I set the pillows aside, and smooth on the duvet covered down comforter.  The hemmed top edge of the top sheet should be dry, and smooth, so then I untuck the hem, lay down the duvet, and bring the top sheet hem over the top edge of the duvet, and then re-tuck it.  I then put the pillows on.

With a little practice it will be as smooth as being ironed, and takes much less time that it did to write this out for you!

I used to use pillow shams, and such but too often people were sleeping on those too.  I wasnt' fond of not having those well laundered! I found that I prefered simply providing a generous selection of bed pillows in clean, crisp, white pillowcases. I still get complements on the appearance of the beds.

I make my own linen spray of 5 ounces of tap water, a few drops of an essentail oil blend that is specially formulated for sleep, and about a tablespoon of vodka (cheap vodka) to help the oil disperse. (so far, my guests have left enough vodka that I haven't ever purchased a bottle, myself) I put my linen spray in a 6 ounce emerald green gingerale bottle, and screw on a spray nozzel.   (It looks so pretty.)

John1095
Level 2
Ruspidge, United Kingdom

Hi Huma,

Good tips thanks, but what is a "linen spray?" It sounds good to use but I have never heard of it before. 

Thanks,

John

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Just mentioning in @Sally4, so she will see your question @John1095 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Linen spray is typically made up of water and fragrance.  It can be purchased or made at home, as I have outlined above.  

It can be used to freshen bedding that has been sitting in the cupboard, and appears to be a bit "stale." 

Linen spray can be used to smooth out wrinkles on sheets and pillowcases.

And, finally, linen spray can contribute certain qualities to a setting or room.  I use a blend of essential oils that are known to improve sleep.  

Pat96
Level 8
Williamsburg, VA

I reserve the day before and the day after a guest leaves to prepare for them - last minute shopping and checking the rooms - and the day after for laundry and cleaning. At age 64, my old bones need time to have each guest have a wonderful experience and I don’t want guest tripping over each other on the transitions. I learned a lot from observing the cleaning women at my Gasthaus while traveling in Germany. They are through, fast and very promptly strip the rooms as soon as the guests depart. I alternate my linens - I have 3 sets of full sized white cotton bed linens for my one guest room and 3 sets of white cotton towels. I can make the bed and change towels immediately while laundering the used linens. I wash all towels and all bed linens separately, using hot water with extra wash and extra rinse cycles. Adding 20 Mule Team borax or Arm. & Hammer baking soda keeps linens and towels fresh and white! 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Oursourcing has saved my butt this spring as we head into summer. I have a really great cleaner who takes care of cleaning when I'm not able to, and I found a laundry service to take care of sheets and towels. Those two services are keeping me afloat right now! Without them, I couldn't accept the volume of guests I'm hosting right now.

I always prep a laundry basket with clean sheets, towels, toiletries, garbage bags, etc. at least a couple of days before the guest arrives, so everything is ready to go and I'm not scrambling for supplies. It also means that my cleaner has everything she needs if she's doing the cleaningMy linen closet is also super organized into sheet and towel types so it's easy to find everything: I use milk crates on their sides to keep everything seperated.

In terms of cleaning, I don't have a written procedure, but I've done it so many times it goes pretty quickly now. I have a routine that works for me, and it starts the moment the guests check out. All the linens get stripped and put into the laundry service bags, the bathroom and kitchen get cleaned, the dusting gets done, then vacuuming, then fresh linens and finally the floor. I use a local cleaning supply manufacturer and I buy bottles by the case, so I always have lots of cleaning products. 

I don't have a schedule for communication: I try and reply to every guest within 30 minutes (at the most) unless I'm asleep. I wish I could deal with that at one set time per day, but I feel like I wouldn't get as many bookings if I did that. I do check my schedule every morning as I eat breakfast so I can remind myself of what's happening that day, and I review any upcoming open days and tweak pricing as needed. I would be absolutely lost without the Airbnb app telling me what's what every day.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Alexandra, I still wish I could find an affordable laundry service in London, but still no luck...

Like you, I also have a bag with cleaning materials prepped for the cleaner (this is separate to the one I have for the guest bedrooms, which I always clean myself). 

I agree with you re communication. I don't think that I could simply schedule a set time every day to respond to enquiries as that would lower the response rate and there are international time differences to consider. Not replying to an enquiry swiftly enough could mean losing that booking if a guest is considering more than one property.

Unlike Pat, I don't allow a day inbetween bookings for prep time, but I do have a minimum of 24 hour notice for them. I don't know how hosts accept same day bookings if they have guests staying back to back. I can turn over the rooms in between guests checking out and others checking in the same day, but I need to know a day in advance so I can plan around it and do the prep.

Hello @Huma0!

Too bad about the laundry service: London is so expensive. It really is handy.

I do same-day bookings, but they need to be approved, because I have to ensure I can get my cleaner in. It's kind of a moot point this summer, though, because I have only 4 days left that can be booked between now and September. I think I've only ever taken one same-day booking ever: they never seem to work out for me anyways. I've had a few requests, but they have mostly been sketchy: I always just tell them I can't get my cleaner in at such short notice (a white lie).

[@ mention updated]

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

I take it then that you are not using Instant Book? I am, so don't think same day bookings would work for me at all, especially as so many guests choose to ignore the check in window and think they can just show up whenever they get here from the airport, even if that is at 9am...

@Huma0I do use instant book, but not same day. They can only instant book if they're booking at least a day before check in. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

Ah, okay. I didn't even know there was an option to customise it like that. Good to know, but I still won't be doing same day bookings. Just the thought of it stresses me out!

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I still cannot tag so cannot mention anyone specifically.  Linen is the most important thing and although I only rent out one double bedroom, shower room and living room,  I have 5 complete sets and 5 sets of towels.  I strip the bed as soon as the guests go, wash the linen  and my wonderful cleaning lady, who comes in once a week, takes it all away and irons it at her home.  I don't accept same day bookings or one night stays now - I did when I started 3.5 years ago - and if I see a couple of nights free between bookings  I will ofen block them to have a break for some "me time".  At 68 this is vital!

I also keep a close eye on light bulbs for the two bedside reading lamps and the desk lamp in the study/lilving room, plus the rest of the house as  there is nothing more annoying than finding one of them has blown just before the guests arrive.  Sadly, light bulbs are not what they were and although they are now supposed to last 10,000 hours or so, they don't.  I write on the bulb box which lamp they are for when I buy them as  - and it is probably an age thing - I would literally be in the dark if I didn't.

I also provide a light continental style breakfast and have to keep on top of things like jams and breakfast cereals.  I had a horrible moment last weekend when my Dutch guests took the lid off the marmalade pot and found that it had grown a head of hair - fortunately they were wonderful and laughed - but I have learned a lesson there.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel0

You are so right about the lightbulbs. I am all for energy saving and never minded the extra cost of energy saving bulbs, because not only was I reducing my bills, but they lasted for ages. However, the LED ones you buy now do not last the 2 or more years stated on the packet. You are lucky if they last a few months. I don't ever remember having to change bulbs so much as I have to now.

It's not like the energy use is excessive here. I'm pretty conservative with it and mosts guests are out all the time. Of course, you get the ones like I had the other day who left their lights on for 12 hours while they were out without me realising. This blew the bulbs in their room. Unlike you, I wasn't prepared as none of my local shops sell those bulbs, so I'll take a leaf out of your book and make sure to stock up on them next time.

To be sure, take time for yourself...

During my peak season, I go to my multi-listing calendar, and see what day of the week seems to be open for a particular week.  I then block the rooms for that day, and use that day for me.  

And to prevent furry marmalade pot lids...

I also make my own jams during the off season, and can them in the smallest mason canning jars. I started this after a guest took his buttery, crumby knife and plunged it into a large, expensive new jar of jam, and gave it a great stir, mixing all that crumby mess into the jam. Now, a nice, small jar seems to serve one breakfast, or maybe two.  It is much more economical, too!  This can be done nicely with freezer jam recipies.