Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Breaking news:  4 dead, many injured in  an Airbnb party house in Orinda CA last night ( 10/31). The house is just few steps away from my second residence in the same street. About 10:00pm, My daughter and I were driving back to our residence, noticed that the street were full of cars. After a while, we heard police helicopters and ambulances arriving ....Neighboor next door told us there was a mass shooting in the Airbnb house few steps away.

The head of Airbnb trust and safety announced that  they will conduct serious investigation, according to the news.

My dear fellow host, I have been posting  many times regarding my concerns to Airbnb unsafe booking process.  My own house has been targeted several times for huge parties/criminal activities, but it couldn’t get enough attention from Airbnb trust and safety 

department.

Please protect yourself and be safe!

周蘭
837 Replies 837
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/02/airbnb-to-ban-party-houses-in-wake-of-halloween-shooting-that-left...

Airbnb to ban ‘party houses’ in wake of Halloween shooting that left 5 dead
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If they set up a "party hotline", you know what it will be used for? To identify and delist the poor hosts who called to report an out-of-control party going on, thinking they'd actually receive assistance. 

"Hey, we warned you we were going to ban party houses."

@Sarah977 

Very first reports that came out, within two hours of the tragedy, had Airbnb stating that the "listing has been removed from our platform"

Now perhaps there's good reason to remove it, perhaps there's not (but at that point, there certainly hadn't been enough time for Airbnb to establish that, either way). But they sure wasted no time in getting that "listing removed" comment out there in the media anyway. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Susan17 @Lan1 @Susan1028 @Sarah977 and everyone-else, it should be the Guest/s who are removed from the ABB Platform in this shooting situation, not necessarily the Host's listing unless the Host was there and not doing anything.

It of course is now a Crime scene so will be subject to Police investigations so won't be available for a period of time.

I wonder how the Host of this property is feeling right now.

Has anyone sought their opinion?

Are they a local living locally?
Was it managed by a 3rd party Property Manager?

There's a number of factors that need to be taken into account.

@Helen427in Auckland and everyone...

How would any one of us feel?

I imagine the host is horrifed, grief stricken, and in shock.  His whole life just got turned upside down and there's blood all over the place.  Reports state he was on his way there to intervene, as were the police, when the shootings happened, and he has been responsive to local previously expressed concerns which were about noise and trash.

The host will not be making any comment here or anywhere except during police interrogation and a courtroom, because this is now a very serious legal situation.  Likewise anyone on staff with Airbnb.

The host is facing significant realities of this trauma of multiple deaths and injuries on many personal levels.  The emotional trauma alone of having it happen, plus witnessing the bloody condition of his home, would be devastating.

This is also a financial disaster with the expense of a competent attorney to represent him far exceeding anything he's made from his airbnb rental to date, and then there's the additional negative effects on his business and property values. 

If the host reads this, I hope he knows that we understand the serious position he is in, and I hope he will find some measure of community in these comments about the changes we've been advocating for, for a long time, that effect every host and guest on this platform.

My heart goes out to everyone suffering as a result of this tragedy.

This is very, very serious for the host, for the platform, and the future.  This will effect each of us, depending on what comes of this.

It's really time for us to organize and speak up.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Noise Control managed by Auckland Council in Auckland have a focus on the owners of Homes where there is noise control issues and parties and the gangs who tend to rent out such places.

Everyone needs to focus on ensuring we are all safe in our homes and have personal safety.

The problem is Gangs & Hooligans who regardless of what platform and where they book they will do what they do, private home or motel/ hotels.

Shootings and deaths and crime is unfortunately a fact of life wherever we are.

We all need to address and ensure Criminals & their associates are held to account.

It would be interesting to know the background of those who are involved.

Do they have links with Organized Crime?

No one needs such activity in their lives.

Keep safe & remember that should any issues arise wherever you are that the Police are Law enforcement officers so should be contacted.

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Under Airbnb policy, these guests can leave a one star review for the hosts.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7
California, United States

I just hope with these things now happening, airbnb really tighten up on their policy and loophole that almost always put hosts at disadvantage position.
I've had a few bookings where the people showed up were more than listed, and in one instance it was DOUBLE the number booked (booked 6, showed up 12, which is even more than the limit 10).
What did airbnb do when I complained? No proof, nothing they can do. So I lost a ton of money there because all the beddings/linens/towels were used up, even the bed-skirt was used for sleeping!!! Animals.

To make matters worse, because I confronted the guests, they left me a 1 star review. I have not been able to remove that review because Airbnb says it doesn't violate any policy. Hell yes it does. It's defamation and libel IMO, and that's very much against some of the stated policies.

I am going to tweet back to the CEO about airbnb needing to really fix this broken system. 

Yes add to my list below, wouldn't it be nice for Airbnb to get serious about reacting to people who ARRIVE WITH MORE PEOPLE THAN BOOKED.

This should be taken seriously, guests should be educated it is not OK and they should have similar sanctions to what applies to hosts if they break the rules.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

If Airbnb does not want to get banned across the globe I would suggest the following focus points, and above all:

Renting PARTY VENUES is a different business than self-catering short term lodging.  Renting PARTY VENUES has other risks and responsibilities and requires specific TOS and rules.

1) PARTIES should be DEFAULT FORBIDDEN in the mainstream Airbnb site and TOS.  This should not be a click-button like smoking or pets or child friendly. 

2) If Party rentals are a large part of their business they should sector it off like they do for "Luxe" or for "Experiences" in a different section with different rules TOS and responsabilities . In the main Airbnb search results parties should not be allowed by anyone.

3) Stop promoting SELF CHECK IN, and start rewarding hosts who take the time, effort and expense to have guests met personally at the property.

4) Improve House Rules policy:  make guest click/sign and read before booking,  allow hosts to attach PDF file rental contract like HomeAway does, instead of practically HIDING this section from view, facilitate cancellations in case of guest not reading or respecting house rules.

5) BAN GUESTS WHO HAVE A HISTORY OF COMPLAINTS AND ABUSE, not by their email (easily regenerated!) but by facial recognition and ID information (birthdate, real name, they have it so they can do it).

6) Do not allow MIDDLE OF NIGHT check-ins or arrivals.  Even without a party, when a group of guests arrives at 3 am to self-check-in in an apartment block with their suitcases banging, talking in daytime voices, banging the furniture, making something to eat then running the diswhasher, this is untenable for other tenants and neighbors who live and work in the building.

=> Overall crackdown on guest nuisance behaviour and poor hosting policies that create nuisance for neighbors is needed.

@Susan1188  Good list. I'd add one thing that I think is really important:

Stop penalizing hosts who don't use IB. Using IB shouldn't be a factor in search ranking- there are many hosts who have turned off IB because of bad experiences and want more control over vetting guests. This is a huge factor in security for a lot of hosts. IB can still be available to those who want to use it, but hosts shouldn't be pressured into using it simply so they have a higher search ranking.

I'll add on to that idea:

Allow hosts to turn off IB for certain periods (such as last minute or high season or any

times when you need to speak with the guest first).

I think instant book would be better (and was in the past before they let up on guest vetting), if AirBnB was more strict on guest that use it.  

ABB could easily better vet any instant book guest before allowing them to instant book.  I would prefer this and it used to be the case.   

I agree with 1 & 2 but not : 

3) Stop promoting SELF CHECK IN, and start rewarding hosts who take the time, effort and expense to have guests met personally at the property.

Most vacationers like self check in for whole house rentals.  Many hosts do just fine with it.   AirBnB could support them in better vetting and helping hosts how have self check in as well as instant book to better vet guests. 

> 5) BAN GUESTS WHO HAVE A HISTORY OF COMPLAINTS AND ABUSE, not by their email (easily regenerated!) but by facial recognition and ID information (birthdate, real name, they have it so they can do it).

This is a big one.  ABB has actually made it harder for hosts to block guests from their own listings and easier for guests to get new accounts with clean (no reviews).

> 6) Do not allow MIDDLE OF NIGHT check-ins or arrivals.  Even without a party, when a group of guests arrives at 3 am to self-check-in in an apartment block with their suitcases banging, talking in daytime voices, banging the furniture, making something to eat then running the diswhasher, this is untenable for other tenants and neighbors who live and work in the building.

I don't see this as an issue either.  travelers like to arrive late.  Hosts can set check in times now for apartments where it would be a problem but I have no problem with it in our whole home rentals, and do not see the relation to parties and late check ins.  The party in question was actually pretty early.  

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Recently had to cancel a booking -  disgustingly rude, disrespectful guest.

2 weeks into a month stay. Nothing like this tragic incident when people have lost their lives. But even in this tiny, insignificant minor case. No support from Airbnb. 

It was 9pm and I messaged the guest, explaining what I was doing and she needed to leave by 11am next day.

Airbnb gave her refund from the time I phoned them. So she was refunded her ‘final’ Night. Airbnb said: ‘your fault you should have cancelled on the day you asked her to leave’ I went crazy and eventually    they paid me BUT this vengeful guest  was allowed to leave a review  of  1* ! And then she made a claim stating my house was too hot with no air-con. That she couldn’t sleep & felt unsafe in my house. 

Airbnb kept me hanging for 3 weeks. Before coming to resolution in my favour. But this is how they treat hosts. Don’t believe you’ll receive any support if you cancel a booking & ask guests to leave.