Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Breaking news:  4 dead, many injured in  an Airbnb party house in Orinda CA last night ( 10/31). The house is just few steps away from my second residence in the same street. About 10:00pm, My daughter and I were driving back to our residence, noticed that the street were full of cars. After a while, we heard police helicopters and ambulances arriving ....Neighboor next door told us there was a mass shooting in the Airbnb house few steps away.

The head of Airbnb trust and safety announced that  they will conduct serious investigation, according to the news.

My dear fellow host, I have been posting  many times regarding my concerns to Airbnb unsafe booking process.  My own house has been targeted several times for huge parties/criminal activities, but it couldn’t get enough attention from Airbnb trust and safety 

department.

Please protect yourself and be safe!

周蘭
837 Replies 837
Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Making a registration of every guest ID/Passport at the check-in must be compulsory for all guests. In Barcelona you have to do it and send it to the police before midnight.

@Ale113 

Of all the changes that could be implemented, exactly what you suggest would probably be the single most effective initiative possible to deter those with nefarious intent. When people are left in no doubt whatsoever that they absolutely will  be held accountable for their actions - rather than being permitted to hide behind fake identities and/or policies that unfairly and unethically empower them - it tends to have a very sobering effect on their behaviour.

What we permit, we promote. And Airbnb has been getting away with permitting and promoting abusive, anti-social and abhorrent guest behaviour for far too long now. It's time to shout "Stop!"

@Susan17 

I have been registring my guests ID/passaport from the first day to mid summer. One girl got mad for it and leave me 3* saying they didn't feel welcome. Then I stop doing it but I will do it again. Since I don't do it some things has desapeared from the House and the electricity bill has increased 100% (two times what I was paying, literally).

I was writing in a notebook every reservation details:

Name (real name, since many guests told you their name is James and after to read Robert in the passport. If they want I call them James, but at least I know the real identity).

ID/Passport

Country

Telephone number (also, many guests have diferent phone numbers that the one in the profile).

Room (BB1 or BB2)

Dates (ex. 13/june - 18/june)

And finally I write:

"I agree with the House Rules and Airbnb Terms & Conditions"

Guests signature 

@Susan17 I have shouted "Stop" by de-listing. It feels like tainted money to me at this point. I will re-list my very popular Airbnb rental if I see real change. I will remain active here on the forums. Unless I am "disappered", of course, like David in Colorado and so many others. Where has Robin in Australia been lately, btw, does anyone know?

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

@Rebecca181 I have also been wondering where @Robin4 has been. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kemi6 

Kemi, I sent this message to  Steph a few nights ago,  can I please offer apologies for my absence from the CC since July/August. There have been a few reasons for this.

1/.... I think I needed a break, I have been a solid contributor for a few years and every now and then I need to recharge my batteries. Do something just a bit different!

2/....Youngest Daughter Kate has bought a house and I have been spending a bit of time over there in NSW helping with the move.

main.jpg

Six bedrooms, a granny flat up the back and a salt water pool , how can you go wrong with that 

3/....Eldest daughter Sarah took me to Tasmania for my birthday ( I paid....boing) and that was just amazing, can't wait to go back again. If you want to see a life changing experience try to find something on Mona......'Museum of Old and New Art', it is breathtaking, it just assaults your senses, there is nothing else remotely like it on earth! In many of the exhibits you have no idea or comprehension of just what you are seeing, it just simply blows your mind!

3/....Have been mad busy here with bookings. I have 5 turnarounds in 7 days next week to cope with, and I ain't as young as I used to be!

4/....I am on another couple of social media sites and one of them I get paid to answer questions! When I say I get paid, I get 1 US cent  per upvote on answers that I post, which ends up in my PayPal account. Upvotes come in dribs and drabs but, I have had a couple recently that have hit the big time! One that I posted has got 30, 240 upvotes in the past 9 days. That's $302.40 US ($480 AU) .....which enables me to whack a good deal more wine in that wine cellar of mine. ;-))

So, I have been a 'busy little camper' Kemi, I am well though, Ade is OK...... I think! She has been over with the grand-kids for two weeks and I have had blessed freedom....Ahhhhhhh. I haven't been told what to do, and what I should have done, and what I need to do! I could take a lot more of this.

I hope that Stephanie  has passed on to Lizzie, Quincy, the CC that I am alive and kicking.....still! 

And like Arnold Schwarzenegger.....I will be back! 

See ya possums.......Cheers.....Rob

Kemi6
Level 10

It's good to hear from you @Robin4. I am glad to know you're doing well.

Hope to hear from you regarding this tragedy. You are one of those who always bring positive perspectives to dire situations on this forum. 

God bless. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kemi6

I haven't had time to wade through the answers on this topic but it is getting a mass of comment on a number of social media sites......and all of it is bad!!

I have given my opinion on some of these sites and this is how I have answered it....

How will Airbnb verify all its properties, and what does that really mean?
Follow· 2

Request
You've written an answer
You can edit or delete it at any time.
1 Answer
Robin Shannon.
Airbnb Superhost and former part of the Experts Group..

Kemi6
Level 10

@Robin4

However way they have purposed to verify, it definitely is a mammoth undertaking which I wonder, if the founders of Airbnb themselves have an idea of what it will entail. 

Glad you are okay, @Robin4 , I was concerned about you!

@Ale113 

yes, guest registration is also mandatory in Croatia and that's probably the main reason why I've never heard for such social-media-announced trash parties happen here.

Here, the booker and members of his group are not anonymous. The host knows their identity and the police know it as well.

In Germany, by state law, every guest who checks into a hotel, bnb or airbnb has to show the passport (or any other sufficiant Governement ID with a picture on it). Plus the guest has to fill out a form and sign it. This is the form:

2018-09-09 Meldeschein.jpg

Apart from this, I personally would never host a person with unknown identity. I have it in my houserules: Government ID required for check-in. My policy is: No ID, no check-in.

And all of this has a „very sobering effect on their behaviour“ as @Susan17  says. That's right. People with a known identity behave much better than the grey circle crowd. Why is it so important for airbnb that the guests they send us stay anonymus?

@Ute42 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Ale113 

Mandatory guest registration could also go a long, long way to repairing the utterly fractured relationship Airbnb has with law enforcement agencies and police forces in many, many jurisdictions around the world too. 

As it stands, the police in many cities are flat-out refusing to attend Airbnb callouts, (or they're pushing them down to the very bottom of their priority lists), except in real emergencies, due to the unprecedented amounts of their time, manpower and resources being squandered on dealing with issues that more often than not, turn out to be civil matters anyway. Very few towns or cities have the funds to be dealing with such enormous extra drains on their budgets.

For far too long now, Airbnb has being using local police forces as their own private security firm, with CX regularly advising callers to phone the police for the pettiest, most ridiculous issues, that as grown adults, they should be dealing with themselves. The police are sick to death of it and as such, are amongst the most vocal and powerful objectors to Airbnb activity being permitted to continue in their jurisdictions. 

Added to that, Airbnb's steadfast refusal to hand over information on anti-social guests (and known criminals) to law enforcement agencies, without first making them jump through a series of convoluted hoops - even when time is of the essence - infuriates and frustrates them beyond measure, and only serves to bring even harsher regulations down on local hosts.

And you can see where the cops are coming from, when they're trying to obtain critical real-time information on the movements and whereabouts of "guests" like these Dublin gangsters (and many like them, who are routinely using Airbnbs as safe houses), but are being thwarted at every hands turn by Airbnb's abject lack of cooperation. 

LAIRBNB - Gang Boss Using Holiday Website Airbnb To Find New Boltholes After Organising Three Murders In Just Eight Days. 

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4192610/mr-flashy-airbnb-boltholes-organising-murders/amp/

Mandatory registration can only be a good thing. For all parties concerned.  

@Susan17 At this point, it would be hard for me to protest as a host any City Council meeting that wants to ban Airbnb's in their jurisdiction and feel that I was on the ethical and moral high ground. I know too much about Airbnb's (lack of) screening practices and their "get the booking at all costs" policies, which worsen every month, it seems.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ute42 @Ale113 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Such a simple, yet effective, procedure - there's absolutely no reason why it couldn't - and shouldn't - be implemented in every country. If guest registration were mandatory across the board, then it would be standard and accepted practice everywhere. Consequently, those with nothing to hide, and no ill intent, would quite happily comply.

And if guests have a problem with revealing their true identities to those whose homes they wish to stay in, well then maybe they should go pitch a tent somewhere (except they'd be required to show ID at many campsites too)