Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Breaking news:  4 dead, many injured in  an Airbnb party house in Orinda CA last night ( 10/31). The house is just few steps away from my second residence in the same street. About 10:00pm, My daughter and I were driving back to our residence, noticed that the street were full of cars. After a while, we heard police helicopters and ambulances arriving ....Neighboor next door told us there was a mass shooting in the Airbnb house few steps away.

The head of Airbnb trust and safety announced that  they will conduct serious investigation, according to the news.

My dear fellow host, I have been posting  many times regarding my concerns to Airbnb unsafe booking process.  My own house has been targeted several times for huge parties/criminal activities, but it couldn’t get enough attention from Airbnb trust and safety 

department.

Please protect yourself and be safe!

周蘭
837 Replies 837
David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sean433

Sorry to hear this. Not surprised.  Many of us have been totally stabbed in back by this company.

I’m  actually thinking of getting a run of t-shirts printed.

‘I was *bleep* over by Airbnb; how about you?’

#joking of course. But wow, this company is something else! 

@David6 

I wouldn't say I was f'd over because they are going to delete a review of a guest but the next time I get a bad review that is untrue, I would like to bring this as an example to customer service. Of course it probably won't make a difference.

I just had a guest who smoke weed inside the apartment and we received noise complaints of partying until 4:30am. I confronted him about the partying but not the weed. Imagine if I leave him a review now of the weed and airbnb deletes it because I did not confront him about something we discovered only after they left the house.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sean433  We’ve been hosting roughly same amount of time but I had several listings at one stage,  & lots of 1 nights stays. The average for guests to london is 1 night. Meetings/interviews/stop overs/night at theatre. So therefore I have 700+ reviews. I guarantee when you hit 500. Airbnb will have f’d you over. I hope I’m wrong. I really do. Good luck. 

@David6 

Oh I have been f'd over before. Too many examples to mention but this one is nothing compared to the bad ones. It seems customer service is inconsistently trained. You get different answers depending on when you call.

@Sean433 I am so very sorry this is happening to you. This is grossly unfair and just plain WRONG.

How can it be that our frustration and anger is not fully supported and understood by the people associated with Airbnb who supposedly 'care' about us non-commercial Airbnb hosts? Defamatory, untrue, unfair guest reviews about hosts are allowed to stand. Our reviews - which originally were to serve as a way of protecting other hosts and the entire Airbnb community from 'bad actor' guests ("We're a community based on trust and safety!") are challenged and not allowed to stand, as is the case with you.

We hosts must prove that something "actually happened" for a review to stand - The guest does not need to prove that something happened for their review to stand. 'Bad actor' guests that harm hosts and even engage in criminal activity on our property are allowed to not only remain on the Airbnb platform - They are allowed to trash us in a review.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Furthermore, I did not confront the guest as I have learned the hard way that confronting them can lead to a bad review from them as well as them raising false issues to flip the coin on the host. So say I confronted them, they leave me a bad review. Do I get support for something that was caused by someone breaking our rules?

@Sean433  Wow! Very unequal treatment for a host and a guest.

Once a guest left me a retaliation review stating my place filthy and scamming because he wanted to cancel and got full refund two hours after check-in. He left me 1 stars across all. I called Airbnb CS to remove the false review and they told me that they could not do anything with it. I wish that they called the guest to get filthy evidence.

I called two or three weeks later after I saw that the guest profile was gone. It seems that Airbnb deactivate his account for some reason. This time the CS did remove the review.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Sean433 

"well how come when someone leaves an untrue spiteful review of me, that airbnb doesn't give me this level of support and calls the guests to ask them for proof?"

Exactly. Think it's called "double standards."

Grrrr! Very sorry this happened to you.

@Sean433 @Patricia55 

well, if this is not a discrimination of hosts vs guests then I don't know what is.

Hosts are definitely discriminated against via Airbnb's 'guestcentric' policies. 

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

My case is going to get very interesting. You can follow for more info...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/3-dissapointing-guests-all-in-1-day/m-p/1180035#M254474

Denis227
Level 10
La Boissière-École, FR

@Susan17 

You mentionned earlier on in this thread   that the magic figure to be considered and treated as a commercial customer by AirBnb is SIX ( ie your entity has to manage a minimum of six properties  ) 

Well  you will not be surprised to see that the figure SIX is indeed  a magic figure throughout  the profession as can be seen in the membership page of  the american professional association of vacation rental managers here 

http://www.vrma.org/page/membership-types

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

"At a launch event at Japan House in London, IOC president Thomas Bach said Airbnb would commit to providing “guaranteed” accommodation over the next nine years in the host countries of upcoming Olympic events—Tokyo 2020, Beijing 2022, Paris 2024, Milan 2026, Los Angeles 2028." 

"Chesky discussed the larger role the hosting platform could play at the Olympics in an interview with Nikkei Asian Review last month. 

“Hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, are going to come to Tokyo,” he said. “They don’t have enough hotels to house everyone. Where are all these people going to stay? You know, you’re not going to build a hotel for a once-in-a-25-year event.” "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sofialottopersio/2019/11/18/airbnb-olympic-partnership-ahead-ipo/