Mattress suggestions and size

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

Mattress suggestions and size

Good morning.

Need your opinion for a mattress brand; also need it not to "break the bank". 

Another opinion I need is, would you change from a queen size that has two side tables to one king size with one night table?

Thanks,

Lilia

18 Replies 18
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lilia22

It depends on what you offer and the size of the bedroom, but there is room for a king and still room to walk around the bed, I would go for that. No-one will complain that the bed is too big.

I have used medium sprung best there is from Ikea with a memory foam mattress topper and no complaints, only praise.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lilia22 As a glasses wearer, I don't like being without a nightstand. Even if you have to go with something really small, I wouldn't completely remove it. Even a small shelf with room for glasses and a book would be better than nothing.

I do agree with @Marit-Anne0 that bigger is generally better with beds, but I think that a king might be overly large in your space looking at your listing.

I buy mattresses from Costco, and I've had good experiences. They are excellent if you have problems or don't like the product.

Hi.

What brand have you purchased from Costco?  We only have Sams here.  What kind of support?  The guests that mentioned anything about the bed seemed to like it soft.

I've been purchasing the Sealy, one of the pillow top styles.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

160x200 is what most guests would expect, @Lilia22. Two bedside tables/cabinets are much better.

Very good mattresses are those that have a layer of bamboo - it provides extra comfort. Also, it is good to buy one that has a washable cover.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Hi Marzena.  

I use mattress cover(s) but in addition, I like your idea of a "washable cover"! 

I get the mattress inside, then that cover - zipped but washable when taken off, then some mats even easier to be removed 😉

I almost forgot - and a thick coconut layer:

mattress.jpg

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting topic @Lilia22

@Marzena4@Alexandra316@Marit-Anne0, have given you some great tips.

Personally, I would agree it is really nice to have a bedside table and visually and practically, in a room if you can fit in one both sides I think that is the ideal situation. I think having a bed side lamp so you can turn the light off, rather than having to get out of bed, is a lot easier. 🙂

How is it going?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Hi @Lilia - I bought a Queen Serta Perfect Sleeper Luxury Hybrid Glenmore Pillow top mattress from Sam's Club and I think it's great. Many guests comment on the comfortable bed. It was $499 I believe and doesn't require a box spring. I prefer queen sized beds because I don't skimp on bedding and King sheets can get pretty expensive.

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

@Emilia42 @Lizzie @Marzena4 @Alexandra316 @Marit-Anne0 Thanks for all of the amazing suggestions.  I have decided to stay with the queen size mattress and bed with two side tables.  The reason being because I would have to buy all new bedding which would be a blow to any possible profit.  We already did the bathroom with double sinks, to add new King size bedding this year, would be insane.  I prefer to spend some extra money on treating some of my reservations to a bottle of wine, a basket of fruit, etc.  

So on March 27, we have a new Queen size mattress being delivered.  I tried several mattresses and after laying on this particular one, I liked it.  Hope my guests like it too.  It comes with a five year warranty and cost about $600 with taxes and delivery.  

I also purchased on Amazon Premium Bed Bug Proof Box Spring Encasement - Waterproof Zippered Box Spring Cover - Ultimate Protec... for the mattress and one for the box spring.  The lady at the store mentioned bed bugs and that freaked me out because it never occured to me such thing!  I just had the standart mattress covers that I wash over and over again.

What mattress did you buy?

I have a queen and one of my favorite returning guests is a 7’ NBA center....if he can make it work, anyone can.

@Amy38 sorry, only saw your question when @Lizzie mentioned.  My phone acts up; sometimes I don't get the Airbnb notices right away :O(

I bought a local manufactured (in South Carolina) mattress.  It's "called" King Coil, Brighton series, pillow top 13 inches thick.  Five years warranty if it deeps!  Got to support local economy :O)

What brand in the Queen! I have had an NBA affiliate as well and he and his wife extended their stay. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is great to hear your update @Lilia22 and the reasons for sticking with a queen sounds like the best option. 

Did you see @Amy38's question?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.