May 13: CEO Brian Chesky will talk about last week’s news and answer more of your questions

Airbnb
Official Account

May 13: CEO Brian Chesky will talk about last week’s news and answer more of your questions

BeloRauschBG (2).png

Last week, CEO Brian Chesky announced the difficult news that we're reducing the size of the Airbnb workforce, and we know you might be wondering how this may impact our host community. It’ll take a bit of time to answer all of your questions, so we appreciate your patience while we work through some of the changes internally. 

In the meantime, we’ll continue to be available here in the Community Center. And Brian will be back for another live Host Update at 3:00 p.m. PT  Wednesday, May 13. He’ll share what we’re focusing on, answer host questions, and more. 

To watch it live, go to Airbnb.com/live, or you can catch the recap after the event.

35 Replies 35
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

I just watched the replay, couldn't make the original.  I still think these are not the best days to be him but do feel he is trying to do the best job he and his team can to keep Airbnb and its hosts viable.  He should come out and say the reason they refunded the guests was due to the legality and just plain bad business practice of doing anything else.  Happy customers return and they will again to Airbnb and its hosts because they treated them like #1 not #2, it hurts now but in time it will come back in spades.  

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Melodie-And-John0 Yes, I agree, Airbnb did the right thing in refunding the guests as painful it was/is for hosts.....I have read loads of accounts and everyone of the articles quotes people saying "they would never rent with VRBO or Homeaway again, they kept their money." And the Airbnb folks did the right thing - as for as business in the long run we will be retaining those customers for sure - a very difficult position to be in but I too feel like Brian Chesky did the exact right thing. And we must remember to get a new customer and retain them is the most important model in business - this too shall pass. Peace, Clara

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Melodie-And-John0   "He should come out and say the reason they refunded the guests was due to the legality and just plain bad business practice of doing anything else. "

This is one of the main problems, which continues to plague Airbnb. They would garner a lot less acrimony from hosts if they just came right out and told the honest, unvarnished truth instead of trying to spin everything and couch it in non-transparent, vague, or misleading language. The entire 25% refund scheme and Superhost grant program were presented in a way that gave hosts false hope. There was no need for this and just added insult to injury. We aren't little kids, nor naive nor stupid, yet Airbnb keeps treating us as such. "Shhh, not in front of the children."

Telling us the truth, in a clear, straightforward manner would go a long way towards repairing Airbnb's image in the mind of hosts. Mr. Chesky can blather on all he likes, but until the basic attitude and actions that Airbnb employs in dealing with hosts changes, it's still all blah blah PR to me.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

A question for Brian Chesky

Airbnb have decided to ignore the actual legislation for Airbnb providers in the UK and blocked our calendars for the rest of May. Presumably June will follow at some point.

@he question: WHY are Airbnb allowing hotels through Hotels Tonight to advertise rooms but not Airbnb? 

For those who care about the facts of renting in the UK I attach them below and they can be found at www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350

3) Subject to paragraph (4), a person responsible for carrying on a business consisting of the provision of holiday accommodation, whether in a hotel, hostel, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartment, home, cottage or bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, must cease to carry on that business during the emergency period.

(4) A person referred to in paragraph (3) may continue to carry on their business and keep any premises used in that business open—

(a)to provide accommodation for any person, who—

(i)is unable to return to their main residence;

(ii)uses that accommodation as their main residence;

(iii)needs accommodation while moving house;

(iv)needs accommodation to attend a funeral;

[F4(aa)to provide accommodation for any person—

(i)who works in one of the critical sectors listed in the guidance titled “Guidance for critical workers who can access schools or educational settings” published by the Cabinet Office and the Department for Education and updated on 5th May 2020, and

(ii)whose need for accommodation is connected to their work;]

(b)to provide accommodation or support services for the homeless,

(c)to host blood donation sessions, or

(d)for any purpose requested by the Secretary of State, or a local authority.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Mike-And-Jane0 ,

I know I replied to you on another thread but just for the benefit of anyone following this one, re: HotelsTongiht:

Public health is our priority. We are continuing to monitor COVID-19 developments, UK government guidance, and making changes as we learn more. In the UK, HotelTonight is limiting bookings to areas with the highest concentration of essential lodgers such as medical professionals, similar to Airbnb’s Frontline Stays program.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Is Brian going to announce his resignation? otherwise I'm not interested what he has to say...