Meet the pets!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Meet the pets!

Love your pets

Hello everyone,

I often come across threads here in the Community Center where you have mentioned your pets, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread to talk about our pets/animals, along with any photos you might want to share! If you are like me, I regularly come across cute or funny photos of pets so feel free to share those too (just remember to include the credit/source of the photo if you haven't taken it). 🙂

* I'm sorry about the photo above...I couldn't resist! hehe

I would like to introduce my cat, Johnny:

Jonny the cat

This a photo of Johnny enjoying the sun! We got him as a kitten and despite appearances he is a very good tree climber, when he is not lounging around...it's a hard life being a cat! 

What about you?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

126 Replies 126
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @MicheleandLouw0,

Thanks so much for sharing that here, yes this is one of the great threads I was thinking about when creating this post, I also thought this one here could be more of a general discussion about pets and animals. 🙂

It would be lovely to hear more about your dogs. (Would they suit a party hat, like the ones above?) 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie @MicheleandLouw0....pets make you whole! Our current pet is an Aussie Shepherd dog who we call 'Betty Joy' (Betts)! The reason we call her this is because we last had the most beautiful dog who was loved by everyone.

His name was Jetti Boy and when he died we said we would never get another dog...it breaks your heart when they have to leave you.

Picture from Nokia camera 030.jpg 

But one night after Jetti died I got a picture of this Aussie Shepherd on my phone and I knew we had to have her! Her name was 'Lara' and she was a pedigreed dog, and as soon as we picked her up we fell in love with her.

We were still very attached to our beloved 'Jetti boy' but this dog was a little girl so....the obvious name for her was Betty joy!!

You do become so attached to your dog and each one shows you emotion in lots of different ways, Sure they wag the tale when they are happy and they bare their teeth when they are not, but there is a lot in between!

Betts is a very neat clean dog....when I say that she does not have slobbery jowels or weapy eyes...

CAM00166.jpg

You would say she is a neat, clean dog......and generally she will come with us when we go out to visit. Some times this is not possible and she cannot come with us! She will see us getting ready to leave and will head straight for the car ready to be involved in the next adventure. I have to tell her..."No, not this time Betts" and the tail will drop as she sees us get in the car and drive away. Sometimes we will get a few hundred metres from home and Ade will say, 'I forgot my phone,... my glasses... my teeth!' something or other, and I will turn around and head back home.  Betts is sitting there and when I go up to the gate her face is wet with tears, she has been crying because she has been left behind! Others I tell this to say 'bullsh*t' dogs don't do that but I swear it is true...It has happened on a number of occasions and I know I am not imagining it.

Pets do make you whole though, I cannot imagine life without one. When Jetti died I felt I needed closure so I did this little memorial to him.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGPQp9pF8o

It did give me a feeling of saying goodbye!

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Robin4, what lovely photos. I can see why you loved Jetti Boy so much, what a beautiful dog, he looks like a cuddly bear. It is true though how much pets become part of the family, almost without your realising! Was his name linked with your love of boats? 

It is great you have Betts now, I bet she gets lots of treats with those eyes though! hehe

--------------------

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie In actual fact Jetti was my daughters dog. She and her partner ran a very successful restaraunt here in Adelaide and when 'Sarchi' had pups kate had to have this little black and white runt of the litter. She and her partner eventually split up and she went cheffing in London and Glasgow and before she left Oz said to us..."If you don't take Jetti I will have to have him put down"! So our love affair with him began. Why he was called Jetti I have no idea, it just evolved!

And on to Betts, oh yeah, she rules the house and her interaction with guests has been amazing. Her first requirement (being a Shepherd) is to let us know when someone strange arrives! And this can be a bit off-putting for a guest to have this dog charge at you with a woof that would wake the dead. But the instant they pat Betts their hearts melt and she becomes a focal point of their visit.

One day she will break our hearts again when the time comes for her to leave. History will repeat itself!

But in the meantime Lizzie, we curse her for being under our feet all the time.....we will tell her to put a sock in it when she howls out in the middle of the night because a possum happened to walk by outside and look through the glass at her at 1.00am. We will shout some obsenity at her when she pinches that scotch finger biscuit off the coffee table that she knows she is not allowed to have.

But Lizzie, we love her as though she was our child, and our life is all the richer for having her.

Someone said in a post not long ago.....A life without a pet is like the sky without stars....and I think he was not far off the mark!

Cheers.....Rob 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww this did make me laugh @Robin4, I'm picturing Betts and the possum! If only you could ask the possum to stroll past your home at a specific time in the morning and it could work as an alternative alarm clock! 🙂

--------------------

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

2coolapartments-pet-friendly.jpg

This is HOMBRE.

We adopted him from the animal shalter called "Noina arka" (Noah's ark) the oldest and only shalter in Croatia specialized for care about wounded, abandoned animals. They struggle with money but they have a big heart. We volunteer there. 

When he was found he needed help...

He had broken fingers and an open wound on his left leg.

He had a big scar on his right leg.

He was very sick and had just 10 kg (now he has double)

He has a bullet in his belly 😞

He has beautifull smoky eyes 🙂

Now he is our pet and behave as one 🙂 He is hosting other dogs from the shalter, helping them to recover, socialize and to find new owners. 

He is the reason our apartments are PET FRIENDLY. He is posing with new food bowls which we bought for our fury guests.

(He lives with us, on a different location.)

If you will ever travel to Zagreb, Croatia with your pet you are all welcome 🙂

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13526118
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14763481
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13525942

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a cute looking dog @Branka-and-Silvia0. It is wonderful you were able to save him and find him a home. He looks very happy now! 🙂 Does the Noah's Ark shelter also home other animals? 

--------------------

@Lizzie

They have saved a few cats too but primary they save and cure wouded (and pregnant) dogs 🙂 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I refer to my greyhound, Cami, as my "co-host" and now she is getting quite a number of positive reviews.  Some of my guests also message that they look forward to meeting her.  Here is a picture of her on my patio practicing her best "downward dog" yoga position:

0521150549-00.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm glad to see you have reposted this photo of Cami @Linda108, I have never thought about where the name of the yoga move comes from, pretty self-explanatory when you think of it. 🙂 Johnny (the cat) likes to bend in the middle when he is stoked! Keeps you entertained for hours!

--------------------

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie Many years ago we had a cat that had such a loud purr we called him Diesel!

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

haha @Robin4 🙂 What colour was Diesel? 

When I was a young girl, my first pet was a hamster which I called Squeak! I don't think he speaked once in the whole time I had him. 🙂 One thing I will always remember is, when he was about 3 years old which I believe is quite old for a hamster, he was starting to look a little peaky and we thought this isn't good, so we decided to take him with us on holiday (it was a staycation so we could just pop in the car) to the seaside so he could breathe in some the sea air...well it did the trick and he lived for another 2 years! 🙂

--------------------

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie.....Whenever someone talks about Hamsters, it reminds me of that Fawlty Towers episode where Manuel was trying to convince Basil his rat was indeed a hamster!!

Diesel was jet black.....there was not one strand of white fur on him.

He had a habit of hiding in a doorway off the passage which ran right down the middle of the house. His idea of fun was to ambush you as you walked past the open door! He would spring out and fasten his legs around one of yours. Unfortunately for him his give away was, we would hear him purring as we approached the doorway which gave us the opporunity to thwart his attack....

Diesel in the Crafers Garden 1995.png

We had a perpetual battle keeping him from the neighbours chooks....he had a distict liking for chicken feathers and more than once he came home sporting a white feather or two sprouting from his cheek whiskers with this angellic look on his face which said....."Wasn't me folks"!!

He was just another star in that sky Lizzie....

Time being 12.15am, I'm turning it in for the day....have a day you will remember Lizzie!

Cheers.....Rob