Mentioning cooking smells?

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Mentioning cooking smells?

I'm sure there have been other threads out there with regard to this topic, but I'd like to hear from some active hosts.

I had guests stay who were nice in every way, but...they obviously cooked fish right before they left (and I let them stay two hours after check-out because my next guests aren't arriving until early evening). The condo really smells and I'll open the windows after my cleaner leaves, but I'm sure, just from experience, that there will be traces of the odour left. 

Does anyone ever mention this in a review? Lately I've noticed that guests will mention things almost like a shopping list. For example, they will list what was good, vs what could be improved on the public review. It's not horrible and, really, is fair to people who want to book, but I'm wondering if there's a shift happening generally and if saying something like, "X and her guests were great and they obviously love aromatic cooking..." would be fair. I have had guests complain about cooking smells, even when I've gone all out to get rid of them. 

Any thoughts?

PS--my cleaner just texted me...she says noticed the smell immediately and did she want me to open the windows. Arrgghhh. I know it will be there tonight too. 

14 Replies 14
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Eileen4  If you allow use of kitchen to prepare meals, you will have to deal with cooking smells as best you can.  Of course during the winter these smells are more evident.  As you mentioned there are other threads about this issue.  In those discussions there are recommendations about the effectiveness of air filters in dealing with various odors.

I don't have through breeze--windows only on one side of the condo--and even with a very good ventilation system, I've had two guests mention that the cooking smell from the previous guests made them feel ill. One mentioned it to me in person and another actually mentioned it in the review, albeit in the private section. On the worst occasion, I opened the windows for several hours, put pots of baking soda and bowls of vinegar out, used Febreeze, you name it. I did everything I could, but the smell was still there when my guests arrived in the evening (so I had several hours to deal with it). 

In this last incident, it was a bit better, but again, I left the windows open for hours. I am in Montreal where the temperatures are very cold. I've noticed that the cold means opening windows is less efficient--the place cools down considerably, but the smells still linger when the temperatures are below zero. I've also got to be conscious of the possibility of freezing pipes.

I'm just considering putting a small sign up in the kitchen asking those who cook with strong spices to refrain for the last 24 hours they are in the place. I think that is reasonable. That said, I have a hard time believing that these last guests didn't understand that their meal would give off an odour. They asked to stay two hours longer and then cooked that meal during that time period. When both my cleaning person and I walked in, the smell was very strong and we worked together to get the smell out. Living in a cold climate makes a difference...people want to feel snug in their place, which means they are reliant on good recycled air. Even with a good ventilation system, it's hard to deal with some smells. 

Lisa595
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I was hoping for some good advice from the community.... Our last guest cooked very arromatic ethnic foods which smelled delicious, but they were here for 10 days so I knew there would be lasting "smells".  Luckily our next guest asked to arrive a day later and it is spring so we could leave all the windows open and all the fans on overnight.  I washed everthing of fabric possible and cleaned the fan filters.  Vacuumed every inch and wiped down every service, the scent prevails and I do hope it is not overwhelming for our new 10 day guest.  It would be nice to know how to proceed with the extra cleaning neccesary.  

I had guests not too long ago that stayed for a week and did a lot of cooking. Once they left the whole place reeked of garlic. The kitchen, the bedroom, the living room and even the bathroom! I flung open all the doors and windows and in addition to cleaning like I normally do, I boiled a big pot of water with white vinegar in it and let it boil in the kitchen for awhile. Then I took the pot of vinegar/water and set it in the bathroom (its a windowless bathroom) and closed the door and let it cool off in there. In the bedroom, I plugged in a Hamilton Beach True Air Oder Eliminator that I bought last year on Amazon for $16.99. By day 2 the smell was gone from the entire apartment. 

Richard322
Level 2
Taranaki, New Zealand

I had Indian guests who cooked their fenugreek & turmeric roti in the microwave, which was located inside a big pantry. Do you know these evil spices? The microwave was ruined; it looked like something had exploded inside. In fact what they were doing was taking roti out of freezer and zapping them for 20 secs. It produced a lot of steam. The pantry had to be dismantled and scrubbed as it was coated in an oily yellow residue. The guests complained about the flies in their review - guess what attracted them? Fortunately they coughed up the price of a new microwave (now sited on the bench). But we still months later have some remains of the smell in the house, maybe it's in the carpet and curtains, maybe we have to scrub the walls and ceilings. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Evil spices? What smells bad to one person may smell good to another, it's quite personal. I have no problem with the smell of garlic nor Indian spices myself. If guests have a kitchen available as one of the amenities, I don't see how you can try to dictate what they cook. You just have to find a way to eliminate the odor. Do you hosts who are complaining about cooking smells have a range fan above the stove to suck the odors out while the food is being cooked?

Lori0
Level 3
Bowling Green, KY

I just had this experience ( after hosting for years now) and I signed on here to see how others have dealt with this for odor removal. I did message the guest to ask what it was they cooked and advice to remove the odor since they must cook it but everything I did the odor still lingers. I go to extremes on cleaning but thought there might be advice on here for that. And should there be a request from the guest for an additional cleaning fee ? Or do you just give them a less kind review? I hate doing that because I love all our guests but I've never had this issue before. 

LoriKy

@Lori0  I would never mention the smell of what a guest cooked in the review. As hosts, we need to learn skills for things like odor removal and stain removal on linens and towels. It's just a part of being in hospitality.

What have you tried so far? You might need to wash down the walls around the stove area, and bowls of vinegar, or bags of charcoal are some ways hosts have been successful in eliminating odors. And of course opening windows and setting up a fan to pull the air out of the room rather than into it will help.

Ashley835
Level 2
Austin, TX

Please look into getting an ozone machine.  There are plenty on Amazon in the $50 range.  It works!  Space needs to be vacant 30 min after treatment however. Another tip I have is to use the top of the line air filters for your HVAC.  I use the Virus kind and it helps eliminate smoke and food smells. Also try Ozium Air Sanitizer.  I use all 3 and nothing but clean air between guests.  

Kylie-Ann1
Level 2
Stawell, Australia

@Eileen4 

Just had this issue today. My go to remedy is lemons. I  cut them in half and wipe down all surfaces with the lemon half like its a spinge . I then wash the lemon bits off with a clean wet cloth. Its great for oily surfaces and also the smells .Next I do my usual cleaning  routine. 

Today we had to clean all kitchen appliances and surfaces, shelves, cupboard doors and even the air-conditioner filter and exhaust fans with the lemons. Even the linen. We have a studio apartment.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kylie-Ann1 Love the tip, thanks for sharing! I've never tried it but I'll make sure to get a few extra lemons soon to give that a go. 🙂 I'm curious though, how do you wipe the linen with them? Do you make a lemon juice spray maybe?

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kylie-Ann1
Level 2
Stawell, Australia

@Emilie   🙂No I don't wipe it on the linen just hard surfaces and appliances as a sponge/pre treatment. 

Another use is as a great way to clean a microwave that guests have left dirty. I place  2 halves of a lemon into a coffee mug, give lemon gentle squeeze to loosen juice, fill the mug with water and put it into the microwave on high for 2 minutes. The lemon steam gets rid of everything as well as the smell. Just wipe out with a wet cloth then clean as normal.

Kylie-Ann1
Level 2
Stawell, Australia

@Emilie   .....actually you can add  the strained juice from half a lemon into your washing machine with white linens as a chemical free fabric scent.  Ive never tried it as a fabric spray as maybe it could discolour fabrics?

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kylie-Ann1 Gotcha, that makes sense! I'm going to give the microwave trick this weekend, and keep the white linen one in mind for future use.

Thanks again for sharing your tips 😃 🍋

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines