Message system

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Message system

I noticed since recent "inbox" upgrade you can now see when the other party starts typing a message (So you know they are there and will reply very soon)

I think it would be also convenient if you can see the other party has opened (and hopefully also read)  your message.

It is my experience more and more guests never reply on (especially informational) messages.

4 Replies 4
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emiel1 

On many chat sites you can see if a recipient is typing a response in real time, but I can't say I have seen that in the Airbnb message stream! I have however had the situation where a guests response has been delivered into the message stream while I am in the process of typing more information to that guest!

It sort of plays merry hell with the various equipment around you!

You are in the midst of typing a response and another message from the guest bumps your response down the page, then the phone app sms alarm sounds prompting you to check your inbox for a new message from that guest, and then the computer new email message sounds prompting you to go to your inbox and read a new message from that guest!

You start to get punch-drunk after a while!

Thanks for the heads up Emeil, I will pay closer attention next time I send a message to a guest that requires a response!

Cheers.......Rob  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Robin4 @Emiel1 is correct - since the spring or summer you see "Guest is typing" both on the mobile app and on the website.

Before Covid, my pre-booking message included a note asking guests to turn notifications on in the app.  Now it's completely taken up with Maine's requirements, but when I can remove that I will put the notifications note back because as Emiel says it's an ongoing frustration, not knowing whether someone has seen a message or not if they never respond.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Emiel1 I love this new 'guest is typing' feature. Just now I had a request I was declining because I had not received a response from the guest for about 20 hours. As I am writing my reasoning for the decline I see a little "XX is typing..." So I canceled the decline, waited for the response, and within 3 minutes the request was accepted (based on the guest's sympathetic reply.) Nice feature Airbnb!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

That’s good news @Emiel1. I’ll look forward to seeing it in real time!