Messages after hosting

Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

Messages after hosting

Do guests continue to receive messages after their stay?

I have now messaged several guests for different reasons after their stay but I consistently never get a response?

Might be conicidence... does anyone have a similar experience?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Salem2,

Yes, you can message them after the stay.It should not be a problem. But yes, it is up to the guests to reply....

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It's a mixed bag, we have a fairly high degree of communication with our guests because we live on the 2nd floor, and I'd say about 30-40% of people that we may follow up with for various reasons don't ever answer, but the majority do, although somtimes it will take days or even a couple of weeks.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Unlike hosts, most guests might not have chosen to be notified of Air BNB messages, therefore would not realize there is a new message for them in their inbox.  If you need to reach the guest, usually the phone number you have is still good.  If you are contacting for marketing purposes, you run the risk of annoying guests.

thanks Linda, that makes a lot of sense!

Mostly its to people who leave items behind, so I am always surprised at the lack of response! 

@Linda108  @Salem2   I always write down guest's phone numbers before their booking is finished, as the phone number disappears after check-out.

Really! I had never noticed that, how strange? thanks for the heads up

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

I definitely message every guest after they check out, but usually more of a statement so they don't feel obligated to reply. I say something along the lines for the first message "I hope you had a great stay and safe travels back" and in the second message "Could you do us a favor and leave a review, it helps us with Airbnb and you with your future hosts"

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Salem2

As a host, your inbox contains every guests message you have ever received or sent (unless you have archived them) and each message stream stays open. On many occasions I get messages from past guests, some of them from as long ago as 18 months, and I have sent a few to past guests as well.

If they are still active users they will receive a message sms if you send them a message as long as they have their notifications still turned on!

Their Airbnb registered phone number which appears on the bottom left of the reservation confirmation as soon as they book disappears as soon as their stay is over and unless you have made a note of it, that contact option will not remain.

Cheers.....Rob