Messages to send out prior to your guest arrival

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Messages to send out prior to your guest arrival

Hello all,

First of all, I want to congratulate all of those Superhosts that got the status once again and to all new hosts that got it for the first time. We all know how much hard work this entails.

Following on this... I would like to share my personal inside tip for those intersted and, also, I would love to hear what y'all do.

I send 4 messages to my guests (not counting the ones answering their questions/conserns etc)

a) First message (only for those who booked with instant booking):

Hello! Thank you booking with us. Please make sure you read carefully our listing's description and house's rules. Consider that our check-in is after 3 PM and our check-out is at 11 AM tops.
* What brings you to the area?
* Who are you coming with?
* When do you think you’ll arrive?
* What's the secret password in the house's rules? (REQUIRED TO VERIFY YOU READ THE RULES)

((This last point was added after reading this forum, I thought it to be a great idea!))

b) First message (for those who booked after chatting with us):

Hello NAME,

Thank you for booking with us. It will be a pleasure to host you.

Please remember our check-in time is between 3 PM and midnight (tops).

Could you please share with us your flight details so we can plan around your arrival and make sure at least one of us is home to welcome you and give you the house's tour? We need to know this as we might need to take time off work to greet you.

Consider you will be given a house tour upon arrival to go over the shared spaces and the house's rules.

Please consider we are both hard workers and we also have a Comedy Club. We try to be as available as possible but there might be times you won't see us at all. Please make sure you share with us your expectations about your stay so we can not only meet them but exceed them.

About a week before your arrival we will contact you again to make sure you have all the information you need to arrive to our home.

Feel free to contact us with questions or concerns about your stay at any moment before or during your stay.

Thank you!

c) Second message (usually sent about a week before guest's arrival)

Hello again NAME,

We are getting ready for your arrival next week.

Our home address is:
FULL ADDRESS . The location is: GMaps location URL
It's a white house with a gray metallic fence, the second house after the park, with a lovely brown happy dog in the garage.

NOTE: The house shown on streetview is our neighbor's, our house is the one after that (it is not shown on streetview), only both of our neighbors, the ones on each side. Please check again our listing's photos for the view from the street.

The best way to come is by ADO shuttle from the airport to the bus station located a few blocks from our home (GMaps Location URL). You purchase the tickets at the ADO booth located where you pickup your luggage. Make sure you only ask the ADO people because if you ask another person in the airport they will tell you it left and there won't be another in a few hours. If you arrive after nightfall we urge you to please take a taxi from the ADO bus station to our home instead of walking (we know we're walking distance).

Note: The worst place to exchange money is the airport so try not to change money there or just enough for the ADO if you choose to use it. The other shuttle services take USD.

Please make sure you read again our house's rules. Do you have any questions or concerns about our rules? Please remember to bring your own towel for the beach (we provide for the pool and bathroom) and that cooking is only allowed in the mornings for a light breakfast.

Please, also consider that upon arrival we will give you a tour of the house, we understand that you might be super tired from your flight but please bare with us, this is important as we review the spaces available for you as a guest and a quick way to get to know each other. We do the tour as swiftly as possible but since most guests are gone almost all the time this is the only opportunity we'll probably have to do this. Feel free to tell us you're too tired and we'll just go over the basics.

Remember guests are reviewed by hosts based on: communication, cleanliness and observance of house's rules, that's why this tour is important, that way we can all be on the same page.

Important recommendation: make sure every piece of clothing you bring is 100% cotton or as close as possible. Cancun is hot and humid which makes polyester or other synthetic fabrics unbearable.

Also note that if you leave before dawn please let us know so we can program a taxi for you, the taxi service offers us a special price of just 15 USD (250 pesos) to pick you up in our home and take you to the airport. This price is per ride, not per person, so it's actually really affordable and helps us keep you safe!

If you plan to rent a car we recommend iMove: URL of this service it's a new company that's giving service mostly to Airbnb guests in the area and they rent out the car without the need of leaving (or having) a credit card. Which is convenient for those traveling with the basics.

See you soon!

d) Last message (a couple of days prior to arrival):

Hello NAME,

We want to make sure your stay is an amazing experience. We are getting ready for your arrival soon so we would love to know what are your expectations about our home and ourselves (your hosts). Could you please share them with us?

Do you have any questions about our home or concerns about the house's rules?

Thank you and see you soon.

What do you guys think? Do you find this useful? Have a lovely week.

3 Replies 3
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi @Tania-and-Andrew0, I love this idea. I also have a variety of saved messages I send out to my guests, including one I send a couple of days before with arrival instructions etc. I think guests really appreciated it. I really like the way you've put some things - you sound very welcoming! I wouldn't want to put pressure on my guests to read too much and answer too many questions though! But lovely idea and congratulations on getting your Superhost status once again!

Thank you @Kath9! I used to just send out the house's address and our contact information but (as you can read on recent posts I've made) I've had quite a number of unpleasant experiences that made us choose to be a bit repetetive. From guests complaining (in a review, not in person) that the reason they chose to stay with us was because on previous reviews we sounded as we were there with the guests at the home all the time holding their hands and singing songs and they were disappointed when they saw we had a life... or guests that didn't know they were staying in a house instead of a flat... many...many...many experiences x)

I do worry this is way too much, must of this is sent out in the period of a few weeks/months time. The message is especially important for bookings made 3 months previous to arrival as they may have forgotten most of the information they read.

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

I really like the idea of the secret password that shows they read the house rules but this is WAY more than I send to my guests. I just do one message thanking them for booking with me, check in, check out etc and then of course any ofther questions they have. Thanks for sharing this. I should maybe consider one more either during or after the stay.