Messaging guests

Lisa5676
Level 2
Davis, CA

Messaging guests

Hi,

I want to send messages to past guests, those that booked and stayed as well as those that inquired and it didn't work out or had to cancel especially due to covid last year.  I want to say hey...spring is here and offer a special or remind them that we have a wonderful place, etc...

Has anyone done this?  If so, how?  I no longer have emails for those that aren't actively staying.  I didn't keep them?  Do you all create databases?  Looking for some ideas, help, etc.

Thanks

Lisa

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa5676  You can contact past guests by going back to your message stream with them when they stayed. Then just send them a new message.

I don't think there's any way you can mass message them, you'd have to create a saved message, and insert into the message fields one by one. Certainly more time consuming than sending one email with recipients CCed.

I have a little book where I write down all guests' phone numbers, and personal email addresses if we have exchanged them. I write down their phone numbers as soon as I get a booking, in case there's a glitch on the platform. It's also good practice in case you are ever unlucky enough to have Airbnb suspend your account, in which case you wouldn't be able to contact upcoming guests through the platform.

And if you had personal email contact with past guests and didn't delete those emails, you should be able to find them somewhere in your email inbox or sent box. I have an email folder where I move all email communication with guests so I can find it easily. I don't save every email communication, but at least one from each guest so I have their email address on file.

I'm referring to their personal email addresses here, not the coded one Airbnb assigns. I'm not sure, but I think those coded email addresses are generated for each individual booking, not a constant, attached to a profile.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lisa5676 proceed with caution; Airbnb's TOS say:

• Do not use the Airbnb Platform, our messaging tools, or Members’ personal information to send commercial messages without the recipient’s express consent.

@Lisa723  Interesting. As usual, somewhat vague and open to interpretation as to what would be considered a "commercial" message.

I could certainly agree that it wouldn't be right to send prior guests a message letting them know the host has some other side business, or advertising for a product the host gets some commission on, but I wonder if Airbnb would consider letting past guests know about a promo on the Airbnb listing to be a "commercial" message.

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

I don’t think this is made easy to do otherwise some hosts would spam people. I do believe you need someone’s permission to use their contact information for promotions, legally, in general. Doubtful that AirBnb would allow this practice as they already use guest email to promote themselves. I wouldn’t do this as you may receive complaints and be accused of spamming without permission.  

The Johnsons

@James2566 there's certainly no such legal restriction in the US (unfortunately).