Minimal cable/video bills

Answered!

Minimal cable/video bills

Hi everyone,

I've recently been assisting a few BNB customers with technical tasks in Atlanta GA (video doorbells, hd antennas, cable bill reduction, etc.).  I'm curious about the strategies/products used to avoid/reduce cable/video bills, especially with owners who have multiple homes.

Thanks for tips in advance,

Jeff 

9 Replies 9

@Jeff654 I got rid of satellite TV in my house in Maine and installed a TCL smart TV that works only with Wifi.  Guests can log into any of their streaming accounts and watch whatever they like.  I also installed an Apple TV (bought a refurbished 2nd gen on Amazon) for those with iTunes accounts.

Hi Ann Great response

I also have a tcl in my home which is a  strong recommendation as I'm super technical - Roku software is updated regularly and I've never needed to contact their support.  I setup Netflix for Airbnb customers but avoid Hulu account as I confirmed this week they don't lockdown addons, which I may get a petition going to push them to support air bnb setups.

I've been informed by hosts that users don't always have their credentials handy so we do hd antennas and Netflix, for higher end with. 4-6 TV's we setup additional services.

Jeffrey Brahm

@Jeff654 Your tech skills fall short of tagging 🙂  We don't know if anyone comments without the @.

My house manual tells users to bring their log-ins and I've never had a complaint.  

One of my listings is used mostly by millennials and they always have their log-ins with them.

Hi Ann, I think my hosts aren't advertising the idea of clients bringing their own login credentials, which I'll suggest.  Some of the locations are vacation lake rental so not everyone brings their devices with them.  The satellite tv cost is over $110 a month!

We did setup apps for hulu and a few others and also provided HD local channels and Netflix since users can't add services (hulu doesn't prevent add-ons in their setup).

Thanks for your insightful thoughts.

JB

@Jeff654 

I don't have a TV but I provide pretty good wifi so guests can use their own devices (phone, tablet, laptop) to watch whatever they want. I make it clear there is no TV and I haven't had a single guest complain yet. 

My  latest customers advertise thier entertainment to get higher rates since most renters like the feel good of entertainment  content when comparing rental options.

In fact , if they arrive without some options  , they complain. Of course it depends on the nature of the rental.

Jeff Brahm

@Jeff654 

True..... the type of guests and purpose of their trip is probably a huge factor. Also average age of guests. I get a lot of exchange student guests who seem fine being on their laptops and phone.

My parents never stay long at my house cause I don't have a TV 🙂 

Ha , I guess I'll lower my content availability duing my next familiy visit.

JB

My latest customer had dual houses which can house 20 guests, so entertainment/content is a requirement. I use HD antenna configuration plkus Netflix (hulu deosnt' allow for control of addons).

Jeff