Minimally furnishing vacant space

Cristina106
Level 2
New York, NY

Minimally furnishing vacant space

I recently listed my vacant home and it is currently unfurnished and empty.

I already have an inquiry for July, so I do have some time to put together some simple furnishings, but any advice as to how and what to furnish so as to make it comfortable for guests but affordable?  I'm thinking air mattresses and garage sale finds. 

There is only an exterior photo of the house. Any other ideas?  Does anyone have experience (staying or hosting) with very spartably-furnished spaces? How did it go? Is there continued interest?

The house is big, with 3 bedrooms and a finished basement.  No TV, no internet.

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

First be careful because most people will expect to arrive to a fully furnished house, unless you have told them otherwise up front.

Quite surprised you got even an enquiry with no internal photos, but make sure that at very least the amenities you have ticked or unticked are available. 

Nothing wrong with picking up bits and pieces to furnish the house - but I would really do that before advertising it. Upload photos so they know what to expect when they arrive.

For example you mention air mattress - but your property says bed....that's your first problem. I wouldn;'t be pleased if I arrived to find I was sleeping on an air mattress and not a real bed.

As for ongoing interest - it depends on what your photos look like and how much you are charging. At the end of the day, there is a market for cheaply priced, sparsely furnished places, just as there is for more expensive, top of the range homes.

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

For the kitchen, I use this rule - supply all the equipment you'll need for a family to make toast, coffee and eggs:

Coffee maker/moka pot/french press

cups

spoons/butter knives

small plates

toaster

and also supply all equipment that a family needs to make a pasta dinner with salad 

Pot

Plates

colander

serving plate

cutting board

Sharp knife

Salad tongs

tongs or something to lift noodles out of pot

salad spinner

salad 

That's the rule that I use for a minimally stocked kitchen.  They must have everything they need to make a simple breakfast and a simple supper.

Good luck

Brenda53
Level 2
Milw, WI

I have 4 Airbnb units now.  I am thinking of starting a company called "Airbnb in a Box".  It would ship to you all the stuff (except furniture) that is needed to stock a unit.  Kitchen - Pots ands pans, dish sets, glassware, toaster, coffee maker, cutting board, etc.

bedrooms - linens, garbage can, alarm clock, hangers, etc

bathroom - linens, garbage can, shower curtain, liners, toothbrush holder, etc.

Living room - rugs, lamps, etc.  

The Whole place drapery.  All color coordinated - hopefully make a deal with Amazon, Bed, bath beyond, target or something like that for buying as a group or get a discount from those companies for being with Airbnb.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds like the sort of thing IKEA does.

I have a long term rental coming up in a few months and it is currently unfurnished, talking to the Letting Agent they have suppliers that provide 'packages' to furnish it at different points if I want to go that way.

David