Minimum age requirement

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Minimum age requirement

Because of Airbnb's new non-discrimination policy, I was told I could not request a minimum age. I was told to go off Instant Book, but as I've experienced it, when I do, I get far fewer requests and bookings. I'm sure that Instant Book is what is allowing me to be booked as often as I am.

I have a two bedroom, six person condo and I often attract groups of students. Most of them are fine, especially if they are university or grad students and come in groups of 3 or 4. But going up to six and having them all be about 18 is worrisome. I know my fellow co-owners in the building will not be happy if I end up renting to this sort of clientele on a regular basis. (I had a group of five high school girls in last year--booked by one of their mothers who promised they'd be good--and I got complaints). I am being tolerated now, but that could change. 

The problem, of course, is that my place is very attractive to groups of young people because sharing the cost makes it cheaper than a hostel. I've dropped the number of people down to five and put an extra charge for the sixth person, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to discourage this type of clientele without turning off instant book. 

Has anyone had any experience with raising the damage deposit? Or doing the damage deposit outside of Airbnb? I'm trying to find a way to swing this so that I can stay booked without having to be a nail-biting host when a group of teens book my place. I do like young people, but having been in the long term rental business for most of my life, I know that many of the worst experiences I had were with students. They simply don't have the same level of consciousness when it comes to cost of things and their level of awareness about what constitutes damage, generally speaking, is poorly formed. (It's why car insurance is more expensive for them too, I imagine.) I did have a group of older students in last week and found three points of damage, two of which they went to great pains to hide. 

Does anyone think that raising the damage deposit and pointing it out in the description will work? I have had students write to me before they book asking me about it. (It's set at $500 for an upscale rental.) Some of them don't book because of it. 

I put up an age minimum and was contacted by Airbnb and asked to remove it. 

Anyone else struggling with this? 

20 Replies 20
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eileen4 I've had a look, but will need to think a bit more about this before I give feedback. I think the gist of it is fine but it's a bit long and there are a few things that might the guests that you do want off a little. I will take a closer look and message you!

This is what I wrote, finally.

This building is safe and family-oriented. Because of that, I am happy to waive the extra-person booking fee for budget-minded families. It is also very secure for guests who are traveling alone.

Groups of friends who want to explore Montreal are also welcome. However, given Montreal's renowned nightlife, I want to be transparent: our mayor has toughened up municipal by-laws for offences related to noise and alcohol use.

Given the new regulations and the deployment of responsive public security teams, late-night revellers are being ticketed in residential areas.

Although the condo is a 2-minute walk away from a lively business area--with many excellent and affordable restaurants, coffee houses and bars (as well as small music venues, bakeries, a vibrant market and a beautiful cycling path)--the building is zoned residential and so is governed by the new, stricter rules.

It's unfortunate, but because public security officers patrol boundary zones and ticket for noise infractions and other offences (especially those associated with bars and alcohol consumption), my place is not recommended for groups whose goal is to enjoy Montreal's colourful nightlife.

Eileen,

Joining in late--this was a concern for us as well. We decided not to instant book so we could vet those requesting to stay. Maybe it cuts down on rentals, but it is worth it to us. And for what it's worth, we are booked every weekend this summer except the one we reserved for ourselves.

Laura

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

My rental is a two room private entrance, private bath but accessible to my personal living space in a quiet neighborhood.  I keep the doors between the spaces locked.  I'm also located in walking distance to Main Street and the university here.  I don't want students renting the space for a party or for a place to crash after a party.  I have three day minimum notice for instant bookings but I got a request last night at 9:30 PM for that night from a young student.  She asked if the space was available for 3 people.  My listing states  2 people and possibly 

3 if one is on an air mattress.  Consequently I suspected they were looking for a place to stay after the party so I turned it down.  My question is how can I require a minimum age and/or couples only?  AirBnB required me to say why I turned it down but I turned it down because of lack of ID for all, the very late request for same day, and the youthfulness of the guest.

You had 24 hours to respond by which time it would have expired if it was same day.

David
Dallas22
Level 2
Troy, AL

I have a minimum age requirement for the rental of my home. It is in line with the condo and hotel rentals in my area. They require 25 or older and this person that reserves the property must be on-site for the duration of the rental. They even spot check reservation as that was my job for a hotel to welcome guest and confirm the person that reserved the room was on site.