Minimum nights stay isn't checked on reservation change

Jorge80
Level 1
Faro, PT

Minimum nights stay isn't checked on reservation change

I have a 3 nights stay minimum setup on my listing and it appears to work fine as I never get 1 night or 2 nights booking.

However, it seems that if after a reservation has been accepted, the guest can then change the reservation  to less than the minimum allowed. Shouldn't this be checked by the booking system before a guests is allowed to make changes?

6 Replies 6
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jorge80

I have no experience if that is possible, but it's simple:

You don't accept it and send back a change to guest in which you have one day but overwrite the price automatically calculated by the software and put in your minimum price. My minimum is for ex. 2 days, and if a guest wants to change the reservation and reduce to 1 day, that's fine with me, but will have to pay the price for two days. And I explain in the accompanying message to them that my own basic preparation and other expenses are calculated on a two-day stay.

Yes that had happen to me, she book 7 days than reduce to 2 days than alter again to one day.. I ok it and give back all her money and stiil unhappy in her review.  What what about that?! 

Nicholas96
Level 3
Swakopmund, Namibia

This just happened to us. I've logged it as a bug as I see that you experienced this three years ago.  I hope that the IT guys attend to it. The lessons we are learning here is to check everything thoroughly and not to assume that changes are being validated correctly against the rules as they ought to be. It is so easy for this sort of thing to slip through if one hastily responds to guest requests.

@Nicholas96 It's not a bug though... it's just the way Airbnb works. Guests can request: you don't have to accept.

Geez, that's good information to know. We've only been hosting for 1 1/2 weeks and are learning tons of things--and sadly, more of them are not good than good. Thank you for the heads up!

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

This is the newest AirBnb scam... Guests that want to book fewer days than your listing will allow will book your minimum and then request fewer days. It happens to me all the time. I try and work with them depending on what season it is and if its a weekend or not. Sometimes, I deny it but I take it on a case by case basis. They will most likely give you a bad review so you have to weight the pro's and cons.