Minimum number of guests settings ?

Answered!
Maryam-Al-Fakheer0
Level 10
Ma'an Governorate, Jordan

Minimum number of guests settings ?

Is it possible to set a minimum numbers of guests per room?

1 Best Answer

@Maryam-Al-Fakheer0

In your case, under the current Airbnb system (which is still a bit behind in sophistication), why not undo Instamt Book and accept that listing only via Reservation Request? That way you take no risk cancelling guests who aren't qualified for your promo. If it's only Jan/Feb, besides if its a 'dead season', I'd only expect maybe average 3-4 guest request inquiry turnaround each month, it's not much work to keep up for one single listing. 

The marketing strategy, if I were you, would be something like, book $18 (per person) and get your 4th guest FREE! (You know how people love the word Free). Or $24 and one extra night FREE! Make sure to alter your title so the FREE stands out, turn Instant Book off and make sure to analyze the traffic. Maybe do some change-ups depending on # of inquiries. It's an important promotion for you so you want to hold close to this.

View Best Answer in original post

41 Replies 41

Thank you for understanding.  With just one person with me in a room with 3 beds it leaves me with just 24 USD (and that is including a breakfast !).

Wilson5
Level 2
Malaysia

Some situation here.

We have a 2-bedroom in the city (Kuala Lumpur) but we are competing against many smaller studio apartment at the same time.
The problem we have is that we can not set the minimum number of guests. I was surprise that we do not have this feature on Airbnb since we can set minimum/maximum of nights, and maximum number of guests.
The reason we need this feature is that if we put the price too high compare to other smaller studio apartments, we barely get any reservation. If we set the price too low, we get a lot of reservations from couples (2 guests) and we are unable to take advantage of our large space to increase our income from extra guests.
We have 2 bedrooms and we can accommodate comfortably 4 guests. We will most likely set the minimum number of guests to 4 if we have this feature on Airbnb in order to increase our income so that we can make sufficient money to pay off our mortgage.
For example we have 1 guest in November who has reserved our apartment for 2 weeks at the price of 27 euros per night! If we are able to put 4 persons in the apartment we are more likely to make 41 euros, which will be more reasonable to cover the cost of our apartment.

Anyone think they need this feature or do you guys have any workaround for this?

I am glad you understand my point.  I have 3 beds in the room, but often is booked by just 1 person while I could have 3 persons !

If I set the price fixed for 3 persons, regardless if 1, 2 ir 3 persons come, I not get anyone, as it looks too expensive.

Hi Maryam,

It's hard to understand this dilemma if a host does not run a multiple bedroom apartment.

Did you find a good solution for this?

Best,

Wilson

No solution for this yet.  I have 2 rooms. 1 room with 3 beds, and another room with 1 King Size bed.  In first listing I put 5 persons, and the other just 2

But it is still possible that 1 person book the first room, and another the second room.  

Meaning sleeps 5, but I get only 2.

Seems like a smart workaround 🙂

In this case your guests won't know if there will be other guests in the same apartment right?

Does it affect your review rating?

If both rooms are booked by different individuals or groups, I always tell them in advance(but after booking). And yes it does affect the review rating in POSITIVE way as usually we spend evening all together in the common guest room and have great times.

Hah! The positive reviews are kinda counter intuitive.

I'm glad you found a workaround!

Airbnb should still consider adding the possibility to set minimum number of guests.

Reason? I have a room where I can host 6 people. Do I set a price for 6 people? No!

Of course not, as I also would like to host a party of 3 or 4. So should I set the price

for 3 than? No! Cause when I set the price for 3 it would be too cheap when 6 people

would want to book it.

That is why Airbnb does have a price for additional people option. But this starts from

1. So basically when I want to host a mimimum of 2 people I need to set a price of 2

people. And apply extra charges per person. But wait this would make it expensive

when 2 people want to book (they would pay for 3 people).

So please Airbnb. Make things easier for hosts. And introduce this simple feature.

Thanks.

BC-Host0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I believe there should be a minimum of guests setting as for instance in one of our properties we have 16 beds, so we don't see the benefit of getting a reservation for 2, and we rent mostly to groups, specially during holidays.

Twinkle-Villa0
Level 2
Selangor, Malaysia

Dear All,

I'm also looking for any settings that could impose a minimum number of guests staying at our premise. Reason being that we do charge extra fee after a certain number of pax but there are guests that try to bypass this fee by selecting 1 guest when reserving. Granted this won't really solve this issue but I think it can be used to deter guests from entering bogus numbers at the reservation. 

Thank you,

HX Teng

Dawn6
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I know it seems odd, but I was wondering the same thing.
I list individual rooms and the entire house. This is my home and I'd rather not move out just to rent to a couple that I could just share the house with. I've tried to suggest renting just a room, but it's weird and I don't want to make people self-conscious or uncomfortable. So for now I'm just sucking it up.