Minimum numbers on an experience

Daniel1357
Level 3
Leixlip, Ireland

Minimum numbers on an experience

Im having an issue with the experience i host. Its an outdoor experience  and runs for about 2.5 hours. The problem i have is when only one person books in for the experience it is not worth my while financially to run the experience giving airbnb fees and tax. Do people have solutions for this? If people book with me directly through my own company I always have a mimimum number of two for running the activity. I notice you can set a mimum stay with hosting accomadation and just wondering how we could suggest a minimum booking number for the experiences? Airbnb wont let you cancel the experience even though you are technically not an employee and running a buisness yourself so it has to be worth it financially.

49 Replies 49

Sometimes you feel: whould i add if somebody else is saying it already... but AirBNB, why are you NOT RESPONDING TO THIS?!?!? 

PLEASE ADD AN OPTION TO HAVE A MINIMUM - this will help us SOOO much! 

Alicia468
Level 1
Málaga, Spain

Same issue here! They seem to be thinking only of the guests and don't consider the host's efforts! Please AIRBNB fix this issue if you don't want to start losing hosts, as there are other platforms offering tours by locals that give this possibility

Melanie-Jayne0
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

We are also having this problem. Would appreciate some feedback from airbnb 

Jesse47
Level 2
Portland, OR

Hello Airbnb? Anyone? Anyone? Airbnb? This is a major problem for many of us. 

Tiffany287
Level 1
Fort Cobb, OK

I have had frustrations with this too @airbnb. I can't afford to do the kinds of experiences I do without setting a minimum at 2-3 people. 

Same problem here. Why can't there be a tiered pricing structure, like on other experiences platforms, along with an option for a minimum number of guests?

NOT ALL EXPERIENCES ARE THE SAME:

In the case of outdoor experiences, THIS IS A LEGAL AND SAFETY ISSUE!  If I'm taking a lone guest on a hike in the mountains (which is what I'm offering) and they sprain an ankle (or worse) and aren't able to hike out, I'm faced with either abondonning them there to go for help (against Wilderness First Responder protocol and therefore exposing my company to a potential lawsuit) or staying with them overnight and exposing them to risk of hypothermia and death (no exageration) while I try to direct rescue personell to the location (assuming cell coverage is available) or hope for someone to pass by and get help. Those last two scenarios are unlikely to happen where I host my experience, given the remoteness.

You guys really need to take notice of this thread and do the right thing before you lose more good hosts to other platforms.

Daniel1357
Level 3
Leixlip, Ireland

So since i posted this up just to update on what i am doing. I have in the description a link to my terms and conditions on my website for my business. I also state there is a minimum number of two per session. If a lone traveller books in i send them a message that states some details about the experience and that at the moment they are the only one booked in and they can either choose to block book the session which is a higher price for a one to one sesison, wait to two days before to see if anyone else books in or cancel the session. if they wait and no one else books in i just appologise and cancel the session by sending airbnb a message to ask them to cancel and that i have informed the guest and they are happy to cancel it. I havnt been penalised ever by them for doing this

Pierre726
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Just received the approval for my experience but I just realized that I cannot change the price depending on the number of people attending which is absurd. 

I'm offering a 7h30 photo workshop for £35/person based on a group of six. There's no way I'm giving the same price for one person or even 3.

Airbnb must do something.

Bjornar0
Level 1
Helsinki, Finland

I find it very strange that AirBnB are not taking part in this conversation at all. 

Jennifer1793
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

I've had this same issue.  My fixed costs are high for an 8 hour hiking immersion experience.  I've severly limited my availability, so that Guests will all book on the same day to make it feasible.  Also, I have begun asking Guests how many they are travelling with, then saying "sorry I am fully booked that day with another tour" if they tell me they are travelling alone, while offering a different experience (hosted by someone else!) as an alternative.

I NEED a minimum of 2-3 people!  On my website, it's minimum 2.  Let's get with it already.

Laura3102
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

This is so f***** up. Seriously. Though I’m not a host. I don’t understand why they don’t take notice of this.

I’m simply a customer. I don’t want to be on a tour by myself. Canceling shouldn’t be an issue, but the fact that it is for hosts is weird. As well as the fact I can’t get a full refund. I thought the Airbnb experiences were a nice idea, with a nice price,  but I might not do this in the future. 

This is also a problem for me. I have a couple of experiences ready to go but I'm not sure if I can pull the trigger on them. It's just not worth my time to host for one, or even two guests...

Howard5
Level 2
Valencia, Spain

I am trying to upload an experience, I keep getting a message saying I have to fix the minimum number required although there is no minimum number, anyone else had this problem?  Thanks

Mieke33
Level 1
Iowa City, IA

I agree. I just wasted hours creating an experience, a workshop lasting 5 hours. I had been told by a friend that Air BnB has a minimum of 3 people policy, but after I created the whole thing, I discovered that they expect you to run it even if one person books, and you cannot set a minimum. Uh, no. I am not spending an entire day running a "workshop" for one person (you can't even properly do the experience with one person), earning almost nothing for my time. What a terrible policy. I wonder what they do with a whitewater rafting experience for example. That one person paddles the boat all by themselves? Ridiculous. 

Daniel3027
Level 1
Cascais, Portugal

Writing to give more preasure here