Minimum numbers on an experience

Daniel1357
Level 3
Leixlip, Ireland

Minimum numbers on an experience

Im having an issue with the experience i host. Its an outdoor experience  and runs for about 2.5 hours. The problem i have is when only one person books in for the experience it is not worth my while financially to run the experience giving airbnb fees and tax. Do people have solutions for this? If people book with me directly through my own company I always have a mimimum number of two for running the activity. I notice you can set a mimum stay with hosting accomadation and just wondering how we could suggest a minimum booking number for the experiences? Airbnb wont let you cancel the experience even though you are technically not an employee and running a buisness yourself so it has to be worth it financially.

49 Replies 49
Louise271
Level 1
Hong Kong

I know! Im having the same issue. Seems so basic! Did you find a solution?

Anton0
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

The same issue for us here in Moscow, Russia. 
We would be happy if airbnb could add a trigger like 'min 2 persons for first booking'

David2576
Level 1
Palm Springs, CA

We have a similar issue.  It would help if we could specify that we need a minimum number of people in order to run the experience.  We keep our price low on purpose and it is not worth the $23 we get to wake up before sunrise and do it for just one person.

Denise529
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

I am considering hosting an experience and have the same issue.  In my searches of other experiences to see how they manage this, I have noticed that some people will have a high price and the description will say something like, “wine and dine for 8 people” and the price will be $2,500. There may be 4 spots available on Airbnb but each one that is paid for could have 8 attendees.  

Hosts would have to be careful about not letting the price be too high but travelers are usually at least in pairs, so, you could set a price for two people, and say so in the description, even though the “booking” would only be 1 spot.   Is this a legit way to handle the issue?

Topher2
Level 1
Massachusetts, United States

Same issue here. I am running a sailing experience  here on Cape Cod Massachusetts. One booking is 30$ and I am sailing with one person for 3 hours for $24 after fees!! Please is there a solution to this?!?!? Any employee of Air b and b seeing this? Our community needs a solution!

Natalia394
Level 1
La Altagracia Province, Dominican Republic

@Airbnb4 

CAN YOU SORT THIS PROBLEM OUT BY ADDING AN OPTION to set a minimum number of guests, it will limit the number of the refunds? 

THANK YOU

Natalia

Iren6
Level 1
Hoboken, NJ

I have that same problem. Running the experience for one person is an equivalent of not making any money at all, considering transportation, etc. I don't mind hosting lone travelers, but there should be a different price for a 'private' tour. 

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Set your price for two people in the description and state that a single traveler is welcome but there will be no discount.  So 1 costs the same as 2, 3 costs the same as 4, etc.  (A group of 3 might be a little be put off but you could give them a discount later if you wanted to.)

Gini4
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

I have just started doing experiences in Berlin and I also agree - its not worth it for 1 person!  Airbnb need to sort this.

Same issue here! @AirBnB6 can you change this so hosts can decide their own minimum. This will increase the types of experiences people can host!

I am frustrated that Airbnb doesnt seem to be taking any notice of this thread. I am wanting to host a watercolour painting experience but dont want to charge "through the teeth"  just in case only one or two  guests book. 

Also thinking of starting an experience but by the looks of it, doesnt look so feasible

Fix this AirBnb!

Joanna--Steph-and-Friend0
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi - I help run a social impact experience and we would also like a way to do this. We lose money/donations each time we host an experience with just one guest. We still want individuals to have the option to book our experience so maybe the following system could be a solution if airbnb would implement it:

For the experience page the host would set a minimum guest category. 

When a guest books they will have a message explaining that alone they do not meet the minimum of  people so they can either choose to have  

a) a pending booking (only goes ahead if the minimum book before that date)

b) pay upfront for the minimum people (with thier money refunded should others decide to book the experience)

There could be a second reminder one or two days before the experience if the minimum have not booked, giving the guest the option to cancel a pending booking or pay the minimum price to confirm it.