Minimum stay was changed to 180 and can’t be changed back

John2496
Level 1
Delray Beach, FL

Minimum stay was changed to 180 and can’t be changed back

Last month Airbnb had asked me to re-input my business tax receipt number and my tourist development tax number. These are required in Palm Beach County Florida to host short term stays. 

These number don’t change once you have them so I am not sure as to why I was being asked to input them again by Airbnb. 

unfortunately I missed the Airbnb cut off date to RE-input numbers they already had and the Airbnb system automatically switched my minimum stay to 180 days saying I’m not in compliance with county and state regulations, which I am, and have been since becoming a host almost 2 years ago. 

it has now been 27 days since my listing was changed. It’s the height of season in south florida which is opening up after covid. My views have gone to less than 3 per day. I have had zero inquiries or requests in these 27 days. I have made at least 10 calls to customer service with no fix. I have emailed str_compliance@airbnb.com three times with no response and I’ve sent at least 50 chat messages to customer support and no one can help. 

Has anyone out there dealt with this? How was it fixed? Is there any other way to get in touch with a support person other than the standard phone number? 

please help me before I lose my property. 

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John2496  Try them on their Twitter account.

Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

Hi John!

Yes, several of us fell into that trap last year. Here’s (likely) the problem. You got a BTR (Business Tax Receipt) and you got the County’s Tourist Development Tax (TDT), but you didn’t get the LBTR from the county.  For some reason, when the county issues TDTs they don’t tell you that you need the LBTR.  

Here is what you need, and how to fix it:

1.  Go to the county TDT office in West Palm Beach and pay for an LBTR county license. It’s about $68.00;

2. There is a catch 22. Airbnb will ask for you to be added to the “reinstated” list by the county. Problem: If you didn’t buy the license in the first place, you can’t be “reinstated” because you were never instated in the first place.

2. When you’re there, buying your LBTR, play nicely with the ladies at the front desk. Ask them if they can speak to the Airbnb liason on their staff. They will sometimes tell you that they do not have one. They do. There is a person in the office that makes up the “reinstated” list that is sent to Airbnb’s tax department. They can’t put you on the list but ask if they can write an instatement email to Airbnb with your LBTR and your TDT number.  They have done this many times, including for me, so I know that it can be done.

3.  Go on to Airbnb. Change your BTR number to the county’s LBTR;

4. Contact Airbnb host support, and ask them to email the tax department and explain that you have a letter coming from the Palm Beach County Tax Collector that will straighten out the problem.  I know that there is a woman who worked in tax, Tina, who has been through this before. See if she’s still there.

Once Airbnb has your LBTR in the proper slot on your account, and proof of your correcting the deficiency from the Tax Collector, you will be reinstated some number of days afterward. Mine mysteriously went on about four days later, without notice.  

I know how frustrating that is!  Palm Beach County and Airbnb have had a very contentious relationship. Airbnb should tell new hosts about the LBTR and BTR.

Just so you know you need:

1. LBTR
2. TDT

3. BTR for your city, if required

4. Florida DBPR Vacation Rental license.

Reply here if you have questions or problems.

Brian Ross

@Brian1613 

Thank you for an amazing response! I’ll get working on that LBTR immediately. 

you’re a life saver. 

Let me know if you run into any further issues.  I was just named a Community Leader for Palm Beach County. When we get our area set up on Facebook, I’ll let you know!

Brian Ross

Hi Brian, 

I am having the same exact issue.  I have a TDT number and a LBTR number, which were both already entered when I created my listing... I can't find where I should re-enter this information in the Airbnb listing.   Airbnb Support has been worse than useless in helping me resolve the issue.  Can you please help me?  Thanks.  Lori Denison 561-313-6958

Hi @John2496, I just had the same thing happen to me, and curious if you have made any progress with our friends in customer service over the past few weeks. Good luck! Thanks for any info/insight you may have

How do I edit my listing now that I have the BTR and the LBTR? I first listed my property for 180 days min. Since I didn’t have it, how can I change it? Thanks

Elizabeth2160
Level 2
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Brian – I need your help. Last week, Airbnb changed my minimum night stay to 180 nights. I have spoken to numerous reps who have no idea why. The last one said that I need a license to operate more than 180 nights. So I went to DBPR and bought the Vacation Rental License and I have the certificate. Airbnb is supposed to send me instructions via message but I have not heard from them. What do I do with the Vacation Rental license? How do I get Airbnb to lift the 180 night minimum?  Airbnb already has my LBRT number on file so I know that the LBRT is not an issue. Can I call you? My cell is 561-951-3290.  I would really appreciate it if you have time to help. It’s been a week and I am losing reservations. Thank you so much!

You have a county LBTR number from the Assessor’s office, and a TDT from them as well?

Also, FYI, I’m the new West Palm Beach Community Leader. I think we’re the closest Airbnb Community to you, at the moment, as the program is just rolling out.  You can join us at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/westpalmbeachairbnbhosts

Reply here, or IM me on Facebook, and I’l try to help you sort it out.

Suksma,

Brian Ross
Maggie-And-Adam0
Level 2
Boynton Beach, FL

We are having the same issue with our listing in Boynton. We have an LBTR and have input the number into the listing as well as our TDT #. We have reached out to Airbnb support and have not been able to get any help from them, it has been almost a month. Obviously pretty frustrating. Do you think you can help us get this resolved? Or help me understand what I need to do to rectify this situation. I have requested to join the facebook group as well. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Nate620
Level 1
Delray Beach, FL

I am having the same problem, how did you get it resolved?