Minnesota State sales tax

Rodney55
Level 2
New Ulm, MN

Minnesota State sales tax

Since AIRbnbwill start collecting sales taxes, do I need to get a sales tax id number?

5 Replies 5
Rita497
Level 2
Duluth, MN

Hello Rodney,  I've been trying to get an answer from Airbnb about the MN Sales Tax they are both placing on bookings after October 1, 2018, and they say they are "remitting".  I've tried to get an answer that should be reasonably simply, and that is "if Airbnb is remitting my MN sales tax to the State, how do they know the money is from my collected tax?"  Perhaps they are remitting back to me to pay?  That's what VRBO does, then I'm responsible to pay the tax.  This is really discouraging in that they don't seem able to answer the question.

I cannot get a simple answer from them.  They keep giving me links which only have generic answers.  I believe we need to apply for a MN sales tax Id number in order for them to remit in our behalf.  otherwise MN will have mo idea where the sales tax was generated.  The state will want to link the tax to someone's income.

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

I would imagine that they would list it on your 1099.

My Airbnb  income is below the $20,000, therefore they will not send me a 1099.

Kathryn63
Level 2
Squaw Lake, MN

I just found out from a guest that air collected state tax, How and when do they send it to me.  I collect and pay taxes for all my sites why does it not show up on my notifications of guest payments.  If they do not send it to me then how does it work and why does it say if we collect less than 20,000 anually they do not collect it on our behalf?