Missing Check In instruction button

Joshua487
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Missing Check In instruction button

Is anyone else missing that "key" button on their messages box with their guests that will attach your check in instructions for you listing?

Mine is missing on both the app and the desktop version.   

Does anyone know how to access their check in instruction links with this button is missing? 

11 Replies 11
Kathryn423
Level 1
Westfield, NY

Yes, just went to send instructions and the icon is gone! What’s up with that?

I have no idea.  I’ve chatted with 3 support people and they keep telling me to log out of the app. Re log in. Delete and reinstall the app. Update the app.   Try from a desk top.  I even downloaded chrome browser and still nothing.  

Their only suggestion was to send the check in instructions as messages. I don’t know how to access the check in instructions to screen shot them.  Otherwise I will be digging through over a years worth of photos (if I even still have them) and have to retype out my 7-12 step photo instructions for self check in. This is crazy that they want me to do this for every guest. 

Gretchen75
Level 2
Denver, CO

I was told on the phone with support that they removed it as “an experiment.” I think they have a bug because when I send the link to my guests from a saved message the  link just goes to a blank screen for me on iOS. 

I finally heard from support after 3 tries that it’s a new feature where they send the check in instructions to the guests 72 hours in advance. 

Today I got a guest booked 24 hours in advance and they never got the instructions.  When I contacted support they told me they have to check their junk/spam folders.  

when I voiced my concern about guests not knowing they were sent the instructions that hosts should be able to send the link like we used to.   This could affect our ratings.  

I sent the past two guests links from previous booking and they both said it worked.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joshua487 

Joshua, I wasn't aware of this until now but, it doesn't in the least bit surprise me. Patches and links and downright meddling with the program are happening so frequently, every time I log on I find something different! I used to think it was just random experimenting, but it's not, everyone of these minor changes are designed to take away a little more host control over the way they use the platform. 

As an example, there used to be condensed host calendar down on the left side of the message stream. All hosts found that calendar very helpful, you didn't have to keep swapping from messages to the calendar page during a conversation. That's now gone, so the process of responding to a booking has become considerably harder for no net gain to either the host or Airbnb. The programmers of this company have one steadfast and resolute ideology, and that is to keep reinventing the wheel, no matter how well the existing wheel works! 

I have (where possible) been, for the past year, using the guests personal phone (the number given in the message stream) to send my welcome and check-in instructions, as I find that is the only reliable way to get a response from the guest. Every time you check 'Guests Resources' something has changed and I just don't regard the internal communication system as being reliable any more. I just use bits of the platform that I know keep working, and those are the bits that make life and money a bit easier for Airbnb, not the host!

Cheers......Rob

Gary250
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Yes the button for the check-in instructions is missing, but if you used it in the past here’s a quick work-around: Skim through your convos with past guests. Locate the check-in instructions link. Copy and paste it in a separate location for quick access.

Then send a feedback message to Airbnb requesting the button be put back in the same previous location. 

I have saved my check in instructions link from previous guest conversations into saved responses.  

I also have asked Airbnb to get the ability to have the button back 4 times. They have not responded to the request. 

I Just remembered something. I tried sending the check instructions link to a new guest from an old guest conversation but for security reasons it wasn’t usable.  Which in hind-sight makes total sense.Doh! ..ah never mind.
But do send feedback to Airbnb requesting its return. 

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

My key symbol has disappeared too, recently. Contacted Airbnb, and got the following:

”There is an update last November for all host that Key icon will be removed, all host need to update their Airbnb app. In this new update, all guest will receive the check-in instruction three (3) days before their check in date. There is also alternate way, you can get your check-in instruction link then put it in your saved messages then you can send it to your guest but guest can only open it three days before their check in.”

But I’m worried that if I delete the app and install it again, all my settings will be reset, too, and lots of complications (“deleting this app will also delete its data”). 

Did any of you do the delete/re-install, and it went well?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You will only need to update your app, @Trude0 , no need to delete and reinstall.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Peishan2
Level 1
New York, NY

wow...