Missing Threads - Airbnb Host Survey COVID-19

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Missing Threads - Airbnb Host Survey COVID-19

This thread is missing:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-host-survey-for-the-COVID-19-pandemic/td-p/129927...

Does anybody know where it went to, as I believe no threads ever get deleted? Thanks.

amazon1-2.jpg

33 Replies 33

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0   Threads do get deleted when they're advertising products or directing traffic offsite to a questionable URL. I saw the post you referenced, but I couldn't verify that it was genuine research and not a phishing scheme.

@Anonymous 

Thanks Andrew,

Sometimes I'm too inquisitive for my own good and followed the link (on a private VPN) just in case. I did take some screenshots and it did seem like legitimate research. Heck, who wouldn't want the opinions of worldwide hosts on this subject?

I'm not at the same device currently, so I'll have a search on that for what I have and get back. I was just wanting to read up on the posts other members on the CC here might have made?

@Anonymous  @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  @Brian

One crucial little bit of info they forgot to mention regarding this "independent survey" -

research study 1.jpg

study 2.jpg

@PaddySeventeen0  How interesting. I wonder why the woman who posted that survey declined to explain this connection when she was asked to by me and I think some other posters. Instead she posted some unintelligible response, as if she was hiding something. 

We can only hazard a guess, @Sarah977. One would hope that it wouldn't possibly be because the results of this "survey" were going to be used by Airbnb in a major global PR campaign to convince the world that 95% of hosts were thrilled skinny and oh-so-grateful for the competent, caring way Airbnb handled the COVID-19 refund situation, to impress potential investors or to use the "success" of their righteous endeavours as a basis for imposing even harsher policies on hosts in the near future. Because that would be deceptive and despicable, wouldn't it?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Gosh! And there was me just thinking it was because she was foreign........! ( @PaddySeventeen0 )

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction @Helen350 😉

@PaddySeventeen0 

Well, that looks like it was a legitimate survey and must have already be known about?  The university clearly works for Airbnb! Whats all the nonsense about online security issues and then this:

"In this case, when we reached out to the OP the answers didn't satisfy the required feeling safety for participants for the CC. I think  @sarah977 mentioned something along the lines of "gobblydegook" which says it best."

Where is that gobblydegook coming from now?

I'm going to have to demand $5 from somewhere as compensation 🙂

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 So why was this woman who posted it so evasive? Why didn't she just state from the outset that they are partnered with Airbnb? Seems like more of the non-transparency we normally object to, so I wonder why you are defending it?

This was the OPs response below when asked outright about the purpose and intent of the survey. She had every chance to mention the Smart Tourism Research Centre's partnership with Airbnb, but for reasons we're not privy to, chose not to reveal the direct links. 

"Smart Tourism Research Center provide global trends regarding smart tourism such as sharing economy, AI adoption in hotel, etc
This survey is for the academic article. We would like to know the Airbnb host’s difficulties caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and how hosts feel about Airbnb’s response

There are a lot of academic researches on Airbnb guests, whereas not many studies on Airbnb hosts. This research tries to focus on and advocate the right to Airbnb hosts. If you want to give your opinion, we will appreciate your participation but it’s absolutely fine if you don’t want to answer"

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

"If you want to give your opinion, we will appreciate your participation......." - How lovely! Nice to be appreciated, don't you think, @PaddySeventeen0 ? 

- LOVE the profile pic, btw, something about it made me smile....  🙂

Thanks, @Helen350! I do like to make an effort for special occasions ☺️

@PaddySeventeen0  When I asked her exactly how the results of this "academic survey" would benefit hosts, as she claimed it would, she wouldn't give any direct answer. It would seem that Airbnb directed their "partner" to be just as evasive as the company is known for being. 

Never give a straight answer when you can give an ambiguous one.

@Sarah977 

Not only that, the survey itself was phrased in a manner that took great pains to distance itself from any connection Airbnb. "As no one from Airbnb will have access to the completed questionnaires, the participant would not be disadvantaged in any way" (Odd thing to say) In the light of what we now know, it does seem just a little disingenuous to suggest that the research body in question, which has entered into a recent business agreement with Airbnb, would conduct a survey about Airbnb, yet Airbnb would have no access to the rich seam of data harvested from such an endeavour (especially when we all know how much Airbnb just loves a bit of data mining) 

Oh but wait.. they didn't actually say that Airbnb wouldn't have be provided with the raw data, did they? Just that they wouldn't have access to the completed questionnaires. Two very different kettles of fishy fish.

questionnaire.jpg

questionnaire 2.jpg