Moderate cancellation policy

Scotia0
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

Moderate cancellation policy

Hi

Can somone explain the Moderate cancellation policy to me - I have this setting on my listing and it states full refund 5 days prior to arrival 

I had a guest book for 14 nights arriving sunday, they cancelled on the friday before within the 5 day period and I am only being refunded 50% of the booking ?

The annoying this is the guest that was here the week before wanted to stay but obviously couldn't as I was booked out.

Thanks 

Scotia 

14 Replies 14
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Scotia0,

I am not sure what you mean with that cancellation. If you look at the link below, to me it looks fine with that cancellation of yours: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Scotia0 as you can see on the link provided by Marzena , If the guest cancels less than 5 days in advance then :

Cleaning fees are refunded

the first night is non-refundable

50% of the accommodation fees for remaining nights will be refunded.

Mike768
Level 1
Makawao, HI

I have had a person cancel after they stayed two nights because they were able to stay with a friend and I only got back one night even thought they had three more nights. Airbnb said it was because a chance in reservation not a cancellation???

@Mike768  Did you get a message asking you to Accept the date changes and you click on Accept? This is how you lost your cancellation policy. Also did you pull your listing it doesn't show up. Here's some guidelines for the future:

DO NOT CANCEL a reservation, DO NOT ACCEPT any message about cancelling, changing or refunding DECLINE it a loophole that comes back to bite you and gives guests back their service fees and/or voids your cancellation policy (changing dates) or the cancellation is now on you, not the guests. DO NOT REFUND anything until actual cash has been given to you by AirBNB. If you refund they will take the money from you and a lot of times guests get refunded from both AirBnB and you if you do this, then you have a fight to get your money back. Tell the guest you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end. 

Thank you for the information.  I just had a couple that booked 7 days.  They left after two day since their apartment was repaired a lot quicker than expected.  AirBNB gave them a full refund!  I approved the cancellation assuming they would abide by the moderate cancelation policy.  NO AIRBNB GAVE THEM 100% REFUND!  Not fair.  They are saying the reason why is because it was a reservation modification and cancellation.  They were already here!   

Thank you!  I will no longer approve / accept someone reservation cancellation ( as Airbnb calls it modification).  Got screwed!  

Mike768
Level 1
Makawao, HI

Oops.  

Change in reservation is what it is suppose to say

@Scotia0 I think the confusion stems from your use of the term "refund" as going to you, the host.

Refunds go to the guest.

So, if the guest cancels 5 days or more before their arrival date, the *guest* gets a full refund, not the host.

Your guest cancelled 2 days before arrival, so the *guest* received a 50% refund, and you received what was left over.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

Look at the explanation of the cancellation policies, and know that refunds go to the guest, not the host.

The guest was either going to get 100% of their money back, or 50%.

You were either going to get 0% of the money, or 50%.

Actually, if paid within 5 days of a moderate policy the Host is paid the first night full fee, and 50% of the remaining nights. 

@Scotia0 Here's a blog post that explains how Airbnb's cancellation policy works quite well. I hope this helps. https://www.airgms.com/property-management-software/airbnb-cancellation-policy/?utm_source=Airbnb%20...

Elizabeth1004
Level 1
Kennesaw, GA

Okay.  Here is an example.  Had a guest that had booked 7 (SEVEN) night while their apartment was being repaired.  They only stayed 2(TWO) night since they apartment was repaired a lot quicker.  I accepted what I thought was a cancelation of the remaining night.  AirBNB gave them 100% refund stating it was a reservation modification not cancellation.  

Kimberly178
Level 3
Oklahoma, United States

Moderate Cancellation Policy

I was just on the phone with AirBNB.  They advised if the guest cancels five days (6 a.m.) I believe the day time starts, count that day.... and if it is five days or less then there is no refund (except the cleaning because they were not there).  

Now, someone here brought up that they accepted a change. I do believe, but have not verified, that if accepted, then you have allowed the refund for those days.  

NOTE:  there extenuating circumstances so it depends on the verifiable reason. (it could be death, sickness, weather, ....) but must be verified by AirBNB.  And of course, you can offer a refund as well if you wanted to. 

I used to get a full refund minus cleaning fee with moderate cancellation on the day of arrival. Now airbnb says I only get first night full refund and 50% of the second night(guest booked for 2 nights).  Then they said, you didn't get a full refund minus cleaning fee because the guest canceled on the day of arrival before check_in.?????????? 

They keep on twisting around and around and around......

Amy125
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hello,

i am confused about the moderate cancellation  policy also. I just had a guest cancel within 24 hours for seven days day, Airbnb has a refund in them 100%. I did not consent to giving 100% back to the guest, but Airbnb when ahead and did it anyway. What is the cancellation policy for if it’s not followed? Airbnb has refused to let me know if they kept their fee. I also have never  seen the policy that they  have referred to me Stating extenuating circumstances. In my opinion anyone can say that they have extenuating circumstances and without proof to me the Airbnb business owner how do I know?

Amy

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Amy125 Airbnb does ask for documentation, click the link for more information:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavo...