Money paid to wrong account

Victoria34
Level 1
Byron Bay, Australia

Money paid to wrong account

I changed my bank account and air bnb paid the money to an old account that is now closed. Now I do not know how to get this money paid into the correct account or where it has gone? This is urgent

25 Replies 25
Thura0
Level 2
Yangon, Myanmar [Burma]

Hi there, 

Has any one sort this out ? 

Thanks 

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

I had this happen last year when I began hosting again after many years. I didn't think about it, but my old bank account was long closed and my first 2 or 3 payments as a new host were sent to it. I contacted airbnb with each transaction number, date and amount (these are found on the payout emails they send you) and asked them to match them with the bounced payments at their end. Once they confirmed that each payment had come back to them, they paid them into my new account. 

The whole process was simple, and if it took me a little longer to receive my payment, then it was my own fault for not updating my account with them when I started hosting again. They paid to the account that I provided, afterall. 

By the way, this has nothing to do with the guest - it would be poor form to even mention it to them. 

Ashley341
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Experienced a simliar problem - I entered an incorrect number when setting up direct deposit for payout. After both AirBnB and my bank confirmed that $ went to the other account, neither said they could do anything to Recall it. 7 weeks and AirBnB has been most unhelpful and I sadly do not expect the issue to be resolved, just out $500. The only hope is that my bank successfuly contacts the other accountholder and they agree to have the money transered out of their account. Here's hoping for a decent person on the other end this debacle. 

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

This happened to me. I started hosting again after a period of many years, and didn't realise at first that the bank account attached to my profile was long since closed. 

If airbnb have paid into an account that is now closed, the money will bounce back within a few days. 

Here's what I did, I sent customer service a factual email explaining what happened. I asked them to look for a bounceback of the exact amount a few days after their payout. I sent a screenshot of the payout email they send regarding that payment. There is a transaction number on the email. They can match it. 

Once they were able to confirm that they payout had bounced back to them, they paid it to my nominated bank account. Good luck! 

Hi Kelly I have this issue currently. I spoke to Airbnb customer experience department (in the phillipines by the sounds) and they told me they have sent the payment and bank will have the money. That is incorrect obviously.

Of course when I called Commbank they told me if a payment hits an invalid account it will be returned to the payer.

Any chance you can you can provide the contact details for the department you spoke to?

Many thanks

Hi @Paul0, I found the email! It was from response@airbnb.com and this was it: 

Elisa Z., May 31, 10:40 CDT:

Dear kelly,

My name is Elisa and I'm part of the payment team here at Airbnb. I've just received your case and first of all, thank you very much for the sum up you provided, it helped me have the full picture quickly !

I can confirm that the payout for reservation [number redacted] was reversed to Airbnb account and we are ready to reissue it with our next batch today. It will be processed to your current Default method and you'll see it in your Transaction History > completed transactions.
As a reminder, payouts sent by bank transfer can take up to 7 business day(s) to arrive. You can view the expected arrival date by going to Account > Transaction History and hovering over the question mark (?) on the Completed Transactions Tab.

If you have any other questions, please do let me know and I'll be happy to help.

All the best and welcome back on Airbnb,

Elisa

Sharna4
Level 1
Margaret River, Australia

Is this still an issue? I have just had a refund issued to a bank account after it expired recently. Both the Host and Airbnb are saying they can’t do anything now/not to worry it shouldn’t matter, that the bank will sort it out. Once again trying to get anywhere with Airbnb and the Host is an excruciating process!!

Patrick2058
Level 2
Burwood, Australia

I am currently experiencing this problem and have been chasing money for the past 2 weeks which were sent to a closed account, Airbnb continue to lay me off to my bank to deal with it but none of the customer service representatives actually seem to realise what happens when money is sent to a closed bank account and refuse to check their accounts unless they have “proof” that money has bounced back which my bank continues to tell me is impossible to obtain since they never received the money in the first place (the money is automatically bounced back) now Airbnb are telling me that the refund was successfully sent and received and refuse to just have a quick look in the bank account on their end to confirm this as my bank and I am very certain it has bounced back to them 

Resolution:

after waiting for the full amount of time for the money to bounce back, ten business days plus another 5, I contacted my bank to make sure that they didn’t have the money (since Airbnb kept telling me the money had been accepted) it turned out that the money had not bounced back to Airbnb properly, and my (old bank) was able to transfer me the pending funds into a new account which I opened with them that day. My advice to anyone with this issue is to contact your bank after the fully elapsed transfer time and see if it’s in limbo, if it is not then what you can do is have your bank generate a letter to Airbnb explaining to them that they do not have the money and that money cannot be accepted into a closed account ect. And will be bounce back to Airbnb, which *hooefully* is enough for them to properly look into their accounts for the money since they constantly ask for proof from your bank. Good luck  

We have had a fraudulent Payoneer card added to our AirBnB account for payments. We alerted AirBnB to this when we noticed we hadn't received a payment. We emailed, messaged and telephoned that there was fraud on our account and not to send any more money, but freeze all payments. We removed the Payoneer card from our account and AirBnB confirmed this and that all further payments were frozen. They then sent a furred €12,800 to this fraudulent card. We telephoned then and demanded to speak to heir fraud department, we were told we could not speak to theme directly and they would call us back. That was over 24 hours ago and still we have heard absolutely nothing. How on earth can you have an organisation the size of AirBnb ignoring fraud? This is truly shocking and our next stop will be the police as we cannot get anybody at AirBnB to be the slightest bit interested!

Airbnb send a little under $3,000 owed to me to some other, unknown by me, Paypal account.  It's been a while since I contacted them about this and they say they have "opened a case" and will get back to me, but so far absolutely nothing.