Money taken from my bank account illegally.

Coral10
Level 2
Sheffield, GB

Money taken from my bank account illegally.

I am a host.  Airbnb have taken €716 from my bank account for no reason.  No cancellations as had no bookings.  I have spoken to Airbnb UK numerous times and they assure me the money is coming back, as even they dont know why the money was taken 10 days ago.  I called them straightaway.  If I get another email saying it is being dealt with I will scream.   I have spoken to my bank and rhey said to speak to Airbnb.  If no joy I am to go to the Police as this is theft.  I hate this site more and more but as they are the biggest have no choice but to keep using them.  Never ever had this issue with Tripadvisor or Home away.

14 Replies 14
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Coral10 I dont understand how could they take money from your bank account, have you ever been a guest on Airbnb? Have you put details about your credit card as payment methods? Well if you are only hosting here it is better that you remove your card which is link to your payment method. Simply click transaction history then payment methods and finally remove your card from Airbnb. Good luck i wish that will never happen to you here again.

Thnaks for the advice I will remove my card info immediately.  I just want my money back.  They have agreed they owe it back to me but so far nothing.

Where do I find tranaction history?

Found it.  Now here is the weird thing.  My default payment is via PAYPAL.  I can't see my bank details on there anywhere.  I have taken no bookings much to my disgust because the quotes never match my prices.  In fact I have no idea how they have taken money from my card.  On my bank statement it states taken by Airbnb with a refrence number and as I have said they are not disputing the money was taken from the account by them.  I haven't booked anything with them either.  I have tried to speak to a supervisor and also the secutirty and trust department but no joy.   I have contacted the bank and they say go to the Police but they is probaly a waste of time.  any other ideas would be very helpful.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Coral10

I can see what has happened Coral, you have cancelled a guest reservation! That is the only item on your review page and I would suggest the amount that has been removed from your account relates to that reservation.

When a guest books a listing Airbnb charge the guest immediately and hold that money in trust for you until the guest arrives and they then release it to you. In this instance it looks like it is a mistake on Airbnb's part, when you cancelled the reservation the guest would have been refunded and Airbnb have taken that amount from your account rather than the trust account where the guests payment had been deposited.

Approach them again, and I would suggest via Twitter rather than the phone help. Twitter is quicker and the level of expertise appears to be better. Give the reservation number of that cancellation and explain that this money was never forwarded to you and you require it's return.

I hope this can be of some help to you!

Cheers......Rob

Hi Rob.  The cancellation was for  August 2016 so it is nothing to do with that.  I never got paid as it was done and dusted in 24 hours.  I wish I could do Twitter.  I use all other mdia but that one.  I just cant get my head around it.  Maybe I need a you tube lesson!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Coral10

Sorry, I should have seen the date!! 

Can't offer any other explanation. I am attaching a link here for Airbnb contact information that was compiled by another valued contributor to the forum. Although I have no need I am lead to believe through the forum that the level of decision making is considerably better if you use Twitter. It is free to join, you can set yourself up in minutes and there are many hosts with Airbnb who have joined for no other reason than the quick response and service they receive. It may be worth a go in your situation Coral.

As a matter of interest, what is displayed regarding this amount on your 'Transaction History' which you can access through your account settings?

Sorry I can't be of any more help!

Cheers......Rob 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M...

Transaction history.  Zero. Nothing. Nada

Thanks for your help

Anja836
Level 2
Belgrade, Serbia

Hello, I saw this conversation is from 2017, but I have the same problem right now, it is a smaller amount but still I don’t want to pay for nothing. So Coral10, if you see this, could you please tell me, what happened at the end with your money, and if you have some advice what should I do? Thanks.

@Coral10 @Anja836 

I am tagging Coral10 so they see it if they are still actively participating on this community board.

I got the same problem, found only now a few payments to airbnb from my PayPal even though I don't use my account for many years. And not any single message from them and they just don't answer. I cannot even delete this account because it's the only one way of communication with them and I am still waiting for the answer

Ali10998
Level 1
Austin, TX

I don’t have a paypal account but they took “refund” money from me on Feb 1 when a guest changed her payment method and now I don’t get it back until the guest stays In March. To recap, after 12 days on the phone with Airbnb they say that although they are holding the money that I’ve already refunded, I don’t get it back until the actual date of the guests stay.  Garbage customer service on this one guys!

Androulla3
Level 2
Red Sea Governorate, Egypt

I have not used airbnb since October 2020, yet for no reason at all they have taken 214 euros from my account!!! 
will AIRBNB  send me my money back back since it is a clear mistake??

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Androulla3 I would challenge this payment through your bank rather than chasing Airbnb