Month of Celebration Day 12- 12 Things I love About Our Airbnb

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Month of Celebration Day 12- 12 Things I love About Our Airbnb

20201208_082526.jpg

It has been a tough year for many of us. We actually considered selling our cottage when one of our guests made us an offer. My husband suggested I write a pro and con list about keeping vs selling and I thought "Hmph. That never works!" I tried it to keep him quiet. The result? A love letter to our little cottage. No way could I part with it. This little exercise helped me to focus on the positive when chaos reigns in the world. Here are some of the things I think truly make our place special.

1. History. Our cottage was built in 1850 as a one room schoolhouse that served the families who worked on the Francis Scott Key Estate. We have a picture of the last class of kids in our living room-- it hangs in the archive of the county as well. I often think about what it would have been like to walk up our driveway, books in hand, ready for the day's lessons. Where did those kids end up? One day I want to do more research.

2. The stone. Our walls are made from 18 inches of locally quarried stones. Its a variety of granite that was depleted in the 1920s. The tawny pink color is unusual and beautiful. Our place isn't going ANYWHERE in a tornado!

3. The porch. Coffee in the morning is a divine retreat, especially in the midst of 2020 crazy. We added the rockers, but the view of the big old trees over the drive is original to the house.

4. The layout. We enjoy entertaining our family at our cottage between guests. Each bedroom has its own adjoining bath which makes for privacy. Our first floor bedroom works well for guests who don't want to climb our steep old stairs, like our crippled pup.

5. The wildlife. We have seen fox, snakes, squirrels, rabbits, cats, woodpeckers, blue birds, ravens, owls, opossum, skunk, deer, and yes, even a pheasant in our yard at the cottage. So much fun to sit quietly and just observe what wanders by. I REALLY want to get a wildlife camera and see what sorts of other residents we have!

6. Chickens! Not exactly wildlife but our delightful neighbors have chickens which give us no end of fun fowlpeeping.

7. Gardens. I can't take credit for a lot of the plantings as the former owners definitely had green thumbs. Every spring its an absolute joy to see what pops out of the ground. Even in winter we have pops of color from evergreens and rowan berries.

8. Fire! A wood burning fireplace indoors and permanent fire pit outdoors really make cooler weather an event met with keen anticipation. Our only challenge is ensuring guests are as safe as they are enthusiastic.

9. Clawfoot tub. Showers may reign in the world, but I am a bath person through and through. Candles and a soak in our old clawfoot-- take me away!

10. Reclaimed materials. Our kitchen cabinets, interior doors and (believe it or not) bathroom floors are made of old barn wood from a tear down not 5 miles away. One of the owners collected the materials and made both in the 1940s. In the days before recycling and the popularity of reclaimed products, that guy had real vision. I love the character and unique charm our place has as a result.

11. Away-ness. In the height of summer, our cottage feels like its in its own bubble of time and space. Its own world. The trees hang over the property, the plants are full and lush-- it looks like a storybook escape. The uniqueness of the space is something I truly treasure.

12. Fireflies! I am not exaggerating when I say that the fireflies are truly spectacular from June to late August. I often try to get video of them doing their dance but my camera just isn't good enough. I live for their light show. There's no pandemic, no bills due, no work annoyances, no family drama, no aches and pains.

It helps to remember the things we want to hold close at this time of the year.  I would love to hear what other hosts treasure about their spaces. Happy Holidays!

22 Replies 22

@Elinor0  we are remodeling our kitchen in our primary  house (and old Victorian) and my carpenter built an island counter top out of old barn beams. Its the most beautiful thing ever (in my opinion.) I hate thinking that could have been firewood.

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Laura2592 Your cottage sounds divine, definitely not one you want to part with. The love letter is such a beautiful idea - shows what you have to be grateful for. We treasure the fact that we have an Airbnb within walking distance to beautiful beaches & it is a space where we can provide a little R&R for our guests.

@Laura2592 what a perfect description of a home. You have given it a soul. We spend so little time appreciating the characteristics of our homes and yet they make us feel so many emotions: comforted, relaxed, safe, loved, welcomed. They are the host of the host :-).   I loved reading the history too and all the comments from others.  I have lived all over the world and formed an affection with every home i have lived in. For me the things i treasured most were the views - whether rooftops in Paris, Sydney Harbour, the pine trees in Berlin or the mountains and canyons in LA. I wish you the happiest of holidays, Catherine

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Laura2592  

It is so nice and interesting post. Really one get enjoyed while reading it. Thank you so much for sharing this topic with us 

Happy Holidays, for you too 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Miloud0thank you so much! Merry Christmas.

Salute, 

Many thanks to you too @Laura2592  

Thanks, 

Miloud

Jason114
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

Hi @Laura2592, I just want to say thanks for posting this. Your cottage is absolutely beautiful and has a wonderful back story. I sincerely hope to visit if I ever come to the area. Stay amazing. 

Respectfully,

Jason

@Jason114Thanks! You made my day. Happy 2021.