More Guests Than Stated

Answered!
Krista62
Level 2
Aurora, Canada

More Guests Than Stated

Hello there,

We are looking for ideas/ advice before we make a move.

Our last guest group booked a reservation for 7 people.  Our house rules state that each guest exceeding 6 people, must pay a per night surcharge to a maximum capacity of 8 people.  Our camera  (outside surveilling property and disclosed) caught 10 people outside.  So

1) the group lied about number of guests, 

2) they exceeded the maximum capacity we are comfortable hosting in the space.

What should our next move be (we wrote to airbnb but haven't heard back from them)?   Do we message the guests and show them the photo?  Do we attempt to request the additional funds for the extra guest surcharge?  Is is likely, in your experience, that the guest may just become angered and deny that the guests were indeed spending the night? How does Airbnb support the host with these claims?  Will they likely write us a poor review with no truth/ validity because the?  We really do not want a poor, bogus review to affect our superhost status.

Please advise us.

Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Capacity is a problem that is best handled BEFORE the guests cross your threshold! These are some of the things I've been told about capacity over the years:

~What do you mean I can't invite friends over, that's what an ABB is for?!

~They aren't staying the night, they're just here to visit awhile!

~How about we don't count my five kids as guests?

~We don't mind that there are only beds for 8, we'll bring our own air mattresses for the others.

~I've rented the space, how rude that you'd try to tell me what I can/can't do with it!

~We'll have 4 the first night, 6 the second night and then some will leave and we'll have a different 4 the last night.

~I haven't decided about the guest count yet, we'll see if some of our kids want to come stay with us after we arrive.

Some of these are a problem of thinking your ABB is like a hotel, some of these are a problem of thinking that your ABB is like their house. Unfortunately, once you've gotten to where you are (the extras have come and gone) the best financial move is to say nothing and give them a bad review. What you likely need to do going forward is include some things like:

- getting names for every guest

-specifying that the guest count is real and can't be increased willy-nilly

-blame this occupancy limit on city or insurance or cleaners or some reason

-disallow "visitors" of any type for any duration. They're either included in the reservation or they aren't.

But no matter how well you word it, it will still continue to be something that you will need to monitor and deal with because the % of guests who are shady or clueless is not nothing.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

@Markus429 Hopefully you kept all

communication on platform so Airbnb will  acknowledge this threat. That will enable you to have the review removed if the guest follows through. Extortion is a violation of the Airbnb review policy. 

House rules need to be EXPLICITLY clear regarding visitors or unregistered guests, for prevention, and to make dealing with violations easier.

The Airbnb resolution center is basically just a facility for money exchange between guest and host. This guest is free to refuse your request. You an get Airbnb involved at the point the guest refuses, but Airbnb CS is pretty useless these days. 

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

Are you quite sure of the facts @Krista62 ?

Were the people you saw on camera extra visitors, or extra overnight guests? Airbnb differentiates between the two categories, apparently.

I’d tread very gingerly here and try and find out exactly went on before making any accusations or asking for money. In the respect, I agree with @Laura2592 and others in that you might be shooting yourself in the foot trying to apply extra charges even though you feel justified in doing so.