More Guests than stated - Airbnb MUST DO MORE!

Answered!
Tammi50
Level 4
Mammoth Lakes, CA

More Guests than stated - Airbnb MUST DO MORE!

Hello Airbnb Hosts! -

I have been an Airbnb Superhost for years and try hard to maintain Airbnb's minimum Superhost standards. But Airbnb does not do enough in return.

Lately, I have had SEVERAL reservations where more guests arrived than stated on the reservation.  I went into my condo one time to fix an immediate problem and found out there were so many "extra" guests, that people were sleeping on the couch and floor!! My neighbors have complained about noise and too many cars and it's up to me to deal with it. 

But first, I live a few hours away from my vacation rental so a face-to-face meeting with the guests is not always possible. 

And second, I am a single female and do not feel comfortable confronting people who are breaking the rules, especially men.

People can get very nasty!!

I see several posts on Airbnb from hosts with the SAME problem. Guests routinely disregard the max occupancy rule and this is an ongoing issue. Hosts have little recourse.  And if you ask a guest to leave, you risk a bad review in retaliation which Airbnb does not always remove.  

AIRBNB MUST DO MORE TO PROTECT HOSTS FROM TOO MANY GUESTS!!!!!!!  Here are some suggestions...

1.   Add a checkbox to the reservation process for the guest to verify the number of guests. 

2.  Add some type of warning message during the reservation process stating that too many guests over the max occupancy is a violation of the house rules and the guests could be asked to leave.

3.  For properties that require a charge for extra guests, Airbnb must add some type of warning message during the reservation process stating that a guest's Airbnb account will be charged an extra guest fee if they go over the original amount of guests on the reservation. 

3.  If a guest gets "caught" with more guests than on the reservation, their Airbnb account will be suspended for 3 months.

4.  If a guest gets "caught" with more guests than on the reservation and the host advises Airbnb of the issue, the guest should not be allowed to leave a review. 

These are just a few simple changes that Airbnb can make to better protect hosts from guest who take advantage!! If Airbnb cared about their hosts, they should and could do more.

Hosts...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE chime in and comment below.  Demand that Airbnb make these changes!!!  Let Airbnb know that this is not acceptable and we need them to do more!!!

#TooManyGuests #MoreGuestsThanStated 

1 Best Answer
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Tammi50  I agree that Airbnb should take action against guests that ignore and abuse the number of persons for a reservation.  My husband and I have the advantage of living next door to our listing.  We meet all guests upon arrival and even with our close proximity have had guests arrive with extra people.  Our house rules now include guests are not allowed visitors as one too many times that visitor stayed overnight.  Our maximum occupancy is six persons.  Those arriving with extra persons are denied access to the property and no refund issued.

View Best Answer in original post

40 Replies 40

@Helen744  The criteria isn't 100 days. It is 10 stays over the previous 365 days, or  100 days spread over at least 3 stays. The latter was added a few years ago to acccommodate hosts who do long term bookings so couldn't qualify for the 10 stays.

Ken1852
Level 5
Joshua Tree, CA

An eviction in which Airbnb was involved should definitely void the guest from leaving a review and should result in account suspension. If there was any fuel Airbnb critics needed for their fire as to how Airbnb disregards communities and residents, this is it.

Sheree59
Level 2
Fort Myers, FL

I’m so sorry to hear you are dealing with this problem. It should be easily rectified with the suggestions you outline. I hope Airbnb hears you. What hurts one host-hurts us all, because irresponsible guests are left to do it again elsewhere. There must be consequences. 

Also, why not hire private security for a couple of hours to scoot them out if in breach of occupancy? Next step is police maybe. Definitely a public bad review on social media with names tagged. 

ABB should have a Superguest status like they do with Superhosts.  If they don't follow the rules, they lose their Superguest status.  I also think hosts should be allowed to only rent to  guests with like three starts or above on the guest ratings.  That should hold guests a little more accountable. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Tammi50  I agree that Airbnb should take action against guests that ignore and abuse the number of persons for a reservation.  My husband and I have the advantage of living next door to our listing.  We meet all guests upon arrival and even with our close proximity have had guests arrive with extra people.  Our house rules now include guests are not allowed visitors as one too many times that visitor stayed overnight.  Our maximum occupancy is six persons.  Those arriving with extra persons are denied access to the property and no refund issued.

Totally agree! I don’t feel like Airbnb does much to help hosts out with this, especially female hosts who have to engage with men without the backing of Airbnb. 

Enri1804
Level 10
North Topsail Beach, NC

@Tammi50 I’ve been dealing with this issue too. Security cameras help but still guests take advantage and try to skip out - because there is no official consequence from Airbnb. You’re right, many people who will try this will also get very nasty if/when caught - and you’ve let them into your house. I implore Airbnb to help hosts. 

I recently had to sign a separate rental agreement with a management company at an ABB that I rented. ABB would not release the address or the check-in info until the signed contract was received. I may start doing that as well with the consequences clearly spelled out.  I also think ABB should have a Superguest status like they do with Superhosts.  If the guests don't follow the rules, they lose their Superguest status.  

Angela2666
Level 2
LA, Germany

@Tammi50  I think your suggestions are brilliant.

We raised a claim in Jan 22 for damages, today in June still no response.  

From the last four bookings, three have had more guests than they booked for. The current guest booked 7 and have shown up with 10, my max capacity of 8.  I have asked Airbnb on the phone and via email what my options are, and they don’t know 🤨 I am not the first host that is over occupied, these people have intentionally lied to us, so why are they being „rewarded for dishonesty“?

Angela B

@Angela2666 I know how you feel. It's frustrating. A few things that have helped me curb this problem since my original post....I now send guests an automated message through Hospitable 5 days before check-in asking them to confirm the guest count and warning them that if they have more people than stated at any time during the reservation without the host's specific permission, that they are in violation of code section 3.12.310 of the Town of Mammoth Lakes Municipal Code.  That code says "stacking" (when a transient occupant who is the registered occupant of a transient occupancy unit, allows other persons to share occupancy of that unit for any night for which those persons are not registered, with intent to defraud the operator of a transient occupancy facility) is a violation of the Municipal Code and is subject to a penalty of $100 for each day on which such violation occurs. Additionally, California Penal Code Section 537 prohibits the defrauding of innkeepers and that such fraud is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and/or by imprisonment in the state prison for up to 3 years.  I have copied and pasted the Municipal Code language into my ABB policies listing. 

Find out if your town has a similar code and list it in your policies. I do know that if you have something clearly stated on your ABB listing and the guests violate it, you can make an ABB claim to charge them extra.  BUT MAKE SURE IT IS CLEARLY SPELLED OUT ON YOUR LISTING. 

Also, in the same message I send them 5 days before check-in, I ask them to acknowledge that they have read the house rules. I image if guests know you are strict with the guest count policy, and they read an actual municipal code stating they are subject to $100 per night AND a possible $1000 or 3 year prison sentence, they would think twice before defrauding you.  

I recently had to sign a separate rental agreement with a management company at an ABB that I rented. ABB would not release the address or the check-in info until the signed contract was received. I may start doing that as well with the consequences clearly spelled out because people are more likely to read something if they have to sign it.  I wish ABB would just put a check box that guests have to check acknowledging that they actually read the policies. Seems pretty simple to do. 

These things seem to help a bit but only if the guests actually read the policy.  Also, ABB also now asks the guests to put in the names of all the people staying at the property at the time of the reservation. They didn't used to do that.  Now they do, although it is not mandatory. 

I hope this helps!