More Site Glitches! What to do?

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

More Site Glitches! What to do?

I have guests booked in June. They tried to message me this evening but could not send the message through. They received an error code. So....they contacted me with a "reservation request" for dates in May. I answered the question that they had for their June booking and, of course, declined the May request because it wasn't a request for booking at all.

Next thing I know.......in my message thread it shows that those guests are now also booked for May! But when I check my calendar, the May dates are not blocked off. Needless to say that my guests are confused and I am at a loss on how to explain this to them.

And, of course, there is no direct way to contact Airbnb and I would just be wasting my time anyway. Do I trust my "reservations" list that does not show a booking in May, or is the message thread heading "confirmed for May" something to be worried about.

I wish that Airbnb would make their site more professional and less prone to these kind of glitches. When this happens it does not inspire confidence in the part of my guests or myself that the website is functioning properly.

7 Replies 7
Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I would call Airbnb asap-it will be worth the hours wait on hold. I just wish they would improve thier hold music. It is the most annoying I have ever heard!

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Monica4 , I would think you are okay:  you declined the artificial request, your calender is NoT blocked out for those dates, only you have that weird wording , "confirmed for May" on your message thread. Can you attach a screenshot if it here? does it show the same for your guest?

I would call the guest  and talk to them, both parties have the phone numbers now. Sure sounds like one of those  weird Airbnb glitches, perhaps it is all gone by tomorrow... 

You could also give us here those artificial May dates and we can double check for you and verify to you that those dates  are open and are  NOT booked.

yes, those Airbnb glitches keep us on our toes..... so we learn to just adjust to them and do our own detective work before calling them. good luck, hope it gets cleared up soon.

Btw:  in  "community help", the first post is an extensive guide on how to contact Airbnb

Well, I never could figure out how to do screen shots!

Airbnb did get back to me when I contacted them on Facebook. They checked my calendar and the error on the message thread, told me my calendar was clear for those days and asked me to tell my guests to clear their cache and cookies and use Google Chrome. That, of course, is the standard answer for solving their site glitches!

@Monica4

Spot on! I'm so tired of the "clear your cache" answers... This is a multimillion, or even billion, company. They should be able to have their technicalities in order! We're in 2017...

Mariann 🙂

To do screenshot?  Depending on your device,  you should google "  how to do screenshot with .... etc., and get the answer.  

With Macbook Air , I hover the cursor at the top corner,  then press at the same time Command, Shift &  4 ,  a symbol looking like a cross appears,  I'll press my a left finger on the pad,  and slide a right finger so the whole area I want to screenshot is covered starting with that point.  When done,  relieve all fingers,  voila. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Monica4

You know me. I can talk the legs off a cast iron pot......and just for you I won't use any exclamation marks 🙂 

Send me a DM of the computer program you are using (PC Windows, what version, or Apple.....now I know nothing about Andriod or the phone app) and I will DM you back with complete and precise instructions on how to take a 'screenshot', how to save it, how to reduce it in file size, how to crop just the part of it you are interested in. It is not difficult and I find it really handy for filing internet receipts and all sorts of things quite apart from posting here on the forum.

The only problem with DM though I can't include screenshots of the steps I would talk about but maybe I could post instructions on one of the more obscure boards and include pictures.

Once you know how to do it, it open a new world of opportunities for you.

And you are right, that is their standard fix all comment, clear your cache. I even asked what the time was there once, and I think she told me to clear my cache! 😉

Cheers.....Rob

Ryan63
Level 9
Packwood, WA

The glitch doesn't stop at your calendar.  I had a guest do something similar: He requested a reservation for a night that he didn't actually want so that he could contact me about a night that was already blocked, hoping I could free it up for him.  I couldn't, so I declined his request.  

Because I declined him, I dropped about 20 places in search results.  I suspect something similar happened to you.  

Airbnb, how is this fair, and where's the fix?