More and more inquiries for discounts.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

More and more inquiries for discounts.

What is happening in the Airbnb world that I have seen such a surge in requests for discounts? I have declined them all as "not comfortable with this guest". Thankfully I don't really need the income, but this must be happening to guests that do rely on extra cash from their listing. Is it because there are so many new listings so desparate for bookings that they will give in to requests for discounts? That must be it. I have hosted for over 4 years and have never had to decline so many inquiries. I may even get dinged by Airbnb because there is no drop down menu in "decline" for "guests asking for a discount".

48 Replies 48
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Monica4 

it didn't happend to us ....yet.... maybe bc here the accomodation is cheap anyway. I hope it will not become very common

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Monica4 Alternatively, what if you accepted their booking at your regular rates? "Thank you for inquiring, our rates are already quite competitive, we'd love to have you next month....."

Hi @Kelly149 - Good suggestion but I think @Monica4 is being proactive & rightly so - her prices are already very reasonable. The type of guests who start out asking for a discount, are the ones who are never satisfied & the booking goes downhill from there. It's a major red flag and screams "problem guest!". The discount is just the start of their demands, they will push & push for more and in the end, they won't be happy with anything. (Farah's post about not breaking your own rules outlines this beautifully).  JMHO. - Karen

@Karen-and-Brian0 @Monica4

Yes, I agree that this could be the sign of the beginning of a difficult guest but if a host is worried about too many declines then a "no I won't change my pricing (break my rules), but you're welcome to pay what I've asked" message can accomplish maintaining host standards and not having too many declines. 

Btw, also, INQUIRY does not have to be accepted or declined but may simply be responded to. A RESERVATION REQUEST must be accepted or declined but in that case it is still on the host's original posted terms. The guest asking to change the price or break the rules does not mean that the host has to agree. 

@Kelly149 Yes I am well aware of that, as is @Monica4 I am sure.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If it really is a big change as you claim, I would suspect some kind of scam.

They are trying to test you to see if you will communicate to them without them showing good faith.

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Monica4

I notice your town is 20 minutes north of the US and from what I am hearing Quebec is getting an influx of refuges fleeing the United States for fear of deportation.  Could it be these guests are part of this group?  If possible perhaps contact Airbnb, I know they have a refuge program, not exactly sure how it works but this could be the reason you are seeing an increase in this type of request, perhaps an inquiry as to why they are visiting the area. 

@Krystal16  Yes, my listing is right in the refugee path but the government is taking the refugees to the Olympic Stadium in Montreal for "processing" and then housing is found for them for 3 weeks until their claims can be verified. The housing is with the help of community groups and they prefer to have that housing in Montreal where the refugees can be offered the most assistance.

So I don't think that these inquiries came from refugees. They all seem to know that they have to be "arrested" first by the RCMP when crossing the border illegally and willingly let that happen. Many people think that they cross the border illegally and then try to find housing themselves but that is not the case.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Monica

Once in a while someone message me and ask me if it is possible to give some discount. I am in a different reality and different country. Anyway, the subject discount and reduction are universal. That is why I will give my personal opinion.

We hosts all know that Airbnb suggests to the hosts to offer weekly and monthly discounts.
Moreover, once in a while, Airbnb sent an email suggesting to the hosts to offer 10% discounts for some specific period of times.
Then Airbnb send emails to the guests that are in seach for the same period of time in question.
I dont like this way to offer discount, it is kind of begging someone to stay in some place. It will attract bad reviews, because some guests will come only for the discount instead of being attracted for some good features of some listing.
Maybe, it is this kind of Airbnb email offering discount with the consent of the host that encourage some potential guest to ask discount while they have not book something. It is just a speculation.

Anyway, sometimes I consider negotiating some discount with the potential guest when some of them ask for reduction.
It is when in low season that I may consider negotiating.
I decided not to take offense if someone asks for reduction under some circunstances and reasons.

Well, discount is part of a negotiation! When there is "more supply then demand" the prices tends to fall and the guests has more options.
If the hosts property is not all booked and the expectations are not very optmisitc, he/she has two options:
1- Say no! No means also I do not want your money. I do not care. The host prefers earning nothing to compromising.
2- Start a negotiation if you want to earn some money, even if you have to compromise.

Anyway, I consider negotiating depending on the way the guest approach.
To me, there is no problem if some guest asks for discount in a polite way and value my property, such as following: e.g. "I like your apartment. I am on a tight budget, would you be willing to consider giving some discount?"

In some situations, I have given some reduction on the price and I did not regret.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

In addition to my previous comment.

Usually, when someone asks for discount, it is for at least 10 days stay. If I consider giving some discount, it is usually between 5% and 3% reduction on the stated price.

My reality is like, I have one listing that I do not accept bookings for less than 14 days unless there is some gap to be filled.
I have another listing that I usually do not take bookings for less than 5 days in hign season. During low season sometimes I set my calendar to accept bookings for 4 days. Bookings for 3 days only to fill gaps and it is somewhat rare.

Even great hotels chains give discounts. Of course they do not offer discount if you show up at once before the concierge. There is some means to get great deals. If you do not know this, you dont know what you have been missing!

Personally, I search for deal when booking hotels to me.
If book some accommodation via Airbnb, and I have done it twice, I booked paying the stated price after searcing something I thought it was good value for money.

Have you all a wounderful day !

Asking about discounts seems to be fairly normal on the other vacation rental platforms, and something that traveler tips (newspaper articles, guide books, etc.) frequently suggest to make sure you get the "best" rate.  It can also be a cultural norm.

I usually respond that the discount is already built into our pricing--the longer you stay, the lower your nightly rate.  I also consider requests on a case-by-case basis.

One of our nicest families traveled quite a distance for appointments at our local Children's Hospital.  Their insurance per deim was rediculously low, but she offered us fresh eggs from their chickens, hair cuts (her profession), dog treats made by the grandmother, and house cleaning service to supplement it.  We took her up on the eggs and dog treats, and told her to relax and enjoy their time outside the hospital.  No regrets, they were wonderful guests.

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I am finding it is usually the British that are now asking for discounts.  Last week I was asked for 30 days for the price of 4!!  I thinks it's all down to Brexit and the Brits not having much money.  Anyway, they have got their country back.

Well said! We as hosts get dinged turning people down .. then carry it against you for a frigging year.

They try n haggle I learned hardware those who haggle treat your home like crap... make it a pigsty. No more discounts from this host.. 

Airbnb doesn't support us Hosts,  like if Guests damages stuff. Trust me they put it on us to try and collect.. 

David262
Level 4
Australia

Guests coming into my home with a sense of entitlement are generally "bad news", and frequently the first hint of this attitude is asking for a discount... so now I also decline straight away.

If people don't value my place as highly as I do, then they are a poor fit for my place already (even if they don't realise it), and really don't want to stay (even though they can't appreciate that).