How to deal with extra guests?

Answered!
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

How to deal with extra guests?

A host (call him Mark) recently described a problem, that seems to me to be an exceptionally common problem which hosts bring to the host communities to ask about.   Mark said that the guest booked 4 people, but that 6 people actually arrived.  He thought at first that only 4 guests would stay, as this had been the arrangement and what they paid for (and he doesn't allow more than 4 to stay at his home -- which is an entire house listing).  However, the next day when he went by the house to see the guests off and check them out, he saw all 6 people inside, and as they left, he saw that they were all carrying luggage, so it was clear they had all stayed there. 

Do you have any advice for Mark?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

Please take a look at our Help Center article on "When guests want to bring more people" for more information. 

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

236 Replies 236
Sofia172
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Also make sure you install cameras, specially if you are not around when guests check-in. RING works for me and security cameras in the front and backyard.

Tom891
Level 2
Caseyville, IL

I just had this happen to me.  Guest told Airbnb that I agreed to wave the fee which I did not.  Still in limbo to what I should do.  All I want is for people to have integrity.  I told my spouse that if the guest was honest and stepped up and covered the cost that I would send the guest a refund greater that the additional charges.  So if the guest paid 100.00 I would give a 175.00 refund.  Too bad the guest indicated they were not going to pay......  now I have to give the guest a bad review due to character when everything else went well. 

Karen268
Level 3
San Lucas, Mexico

Always communicate important items (like money) with guests via Airbnb messages/email so that you have proof of agreements.  Have a papertrail.

Debra304
Level 2
Mills River, NC

I am an Airbnb host and I have had extra people to come and I always charge the extra $10 per night per guest up to maximum of four people. now I have a problem that they brought an extra person which would be 5 people instead of 4 I'm pretty mad about it I will be contacted Airbnb because in my rules and house rules listed in the Airbnb section says if you show up with more guests than the maximum 4  before you can be charged up to $150 for that person or reservation be canceled immediately.  so I'm going to go all the way with it hoping that this maybe we'll put a stop to all those dishonest people out there that want to cheat their host. We have outdoor surveillance and highly suggest everyone have it. Have downloaded the videos for my proof to airbnb. Hope to resolve this quickly. We did not approach the guests because did not want a confrontation. We are letting the resolution center solve it for us.  As far as a bad review is concerned she has already messaged us thru the site what a wonderful place it is. And when she checked out said this again. Hope we can resolve the issue. 

Hi Debra,

I had a guest book for 4 people but had 5 the entire time.  My rules state $25 per night per guest over 4.   It also states $100 fine plus the cost of the extra guest for bringing unbooked guests.   I had  8 clips on my Ring device of 5 people in a row leaving and returning in the same clip.   One showed them coming home at 2 am and leaving together at 9 am the next morning.    

The guest lied stating it was a cousin in town that didn't spend the night.  Here is what I received from Airbnb:   "Right now we have clips of 5 guests coming and going but there is no 'behind the scenes', the extra guest could have left after the clip cuts off, which is what the guest says happened. After reviewing each side of the story and watching all of the clips, we are able to see instances true to Adam's side of things, as well as that the extra guest could have stayed over.

In order for me to completely validate your claim I would need undeniable evidence that the 5th guest stayed overnight."

They're basically saying that even though they are arriving together at 2 am and leaving 7 hours later the 5th person could have left just after 2 am then returned right before 9 am to leaving with them again.

Their response was as if I had to show a picture of 5 people inside sleeping.   

This disappointing decision by Airbnb shows you can't charge for extra guests because all the guests need to do is say they didn't actually sleep there and Airbnb will side with the guest.

Did you receive a better outcome with your resolution?

I’m wondering if we can have a rule that states NO VISITORS.   Only those who are booked can be on the property or in the house.    Whose to say these visitors aren’t using the shower and other amenities.  I live in a tourist town and several of the motels have this rule.  I’m about ready to have it as well as security cameras.  Airbnb needs to step up and support the hosts.  There is always VRBO.

I got so fed up with guests trying to cheat me by booking less people in than what actually staying. So now have lockable bedroom doors. If they book for 1 person - they get a single bedroom and no access to the other bedrooms. I am finding that when guests are advised of this before arrival they often quickly change their head count on the reservation. 

Jimmy107
Level 2
Baldwin, NY

Try this app to detect the number of guests at your rental.

https://www.vacayrental.tech

Lulu81
Level 2
Minot, ND

Yea. Quite the conundrum. I had a guest book for 1 adult and 3 children and showed up with 5 children and 2 adults. My place is self check in but I live right there so I can monitor everything going on. What a situation. I feel like it’s deceitful and should be penalized in some sort of way, without the need of confrontation. How exactly?  I don’t know. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Easy @Lulu81  you either ask extra’s  in the party to leave as they aren’t on the booking or if you can accommodate send a charge through the Resolution Centre to cover the cost of their stay. 

Yes. That all makes sense. It’s just not cool for them to put us in such uncomfortable situation you know.  Thanks for your response @Helen3 

I had a similar issue with a French guest ( Cecile ) 3 weeks ago.

The main issue with this guest is that their attitude is 

Iike a blackmail. If you ask the extra guest pay you are sure that a bad review for the host will arrive.

Infact, after asking the extra money I received a 3 stars review ( never received in my 3 years host experience). 
I gave my review to the guest that replied with a poem where they denied the reality by defaming me and my concerns.
Arbnb support. In my experience,  is completely  absent for supporting the hosts in these situations. I am waiting again a reply, after writing 3 support ticket. After years I am thinking to leave the platform because the guests quality decreased and many times they try to blackmail you with the stars story.