How to deal with extra guests?

Answered!
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

How to deal with extra guests?

A host (call him Mark) recently described a problem, that seems to me to be an exceptionally common problem which hosts bring to the host communities to ask about.   Mark said that the guest booked 4 people, but that 6 people actually arrived.  He thought at first that only 4 guests would stay, as this had been the arrangement and what they paid for (and he doesn't allow more than 4 to stay at his home -- which is an entire house listing).  However, the next day when he went by the house to see the guests off and check them out, he saw all 6 people inside, and as they left, he saw that they were all carrying luggage, so it was clear they had all stayed there. 

Do you have any advice for Mark?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

Please take a look at our Help Center article on "When guests want to bring more people" for more information. 

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

236 Replies 236

COMUNICATE with your host, it is the key for all the questions you have!

You two can get in  a agreement on how to handle the situation. If you don't explain who will be staying a few days for during your long term stay, then you look as a bad guests. 

BE HONEST and everything will be okay, but if you are trying to "sneaking" with a bad intention for avoding a extra payment, then you are acting in bad faith.

Karen268
Level 3
San Lucas, Mexico

Spell out the need to identify and/or regisyer every guest BEFORE arrival in the information included on  your Airbnb site.  Tell reservation making guests that it has to do with insurance coverage.

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I have had this experience many times before in my 8 years of hosting - it’s frustrating and often when I can’t be available to meet personally I am sure that I have not picked upon this. Nowadays I use an app called GuestHug which allows me to charge my guests extra fees if I deem necessary through its in built sales platform. Generally, I think there should be an easy way to charge guests the correct fees if they decide they want to have additional people stay or request add on services. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is, you just send them an amendment to the correct number. If they don't accept, get Airbnb to cancel their booking.

Why not install CCTV and then you can easily pick up if more guests use your place than have booked.

How does an app allow you to charge a guest extra fees @Kris76 are you collecting this outside Airbnb contrary to their T&Cs.

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Nope, it’s not contrary to any t&c’s - the app is totally seperate to airbnb and just deals with extra serivices such as car parking and late check outs or anything else you decide to offer. There is no impact with the contract you have with your guest through airbnb it simply allows you to earn extra income through up-selling services.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Kris76

From your early post I thought you were talking about collecting extra guest fees through the app.

As you expressed concern that you thought there wasn't a way of doing this through Airbnb.

Greg401
Level 2
Londonderry, NH

I have the same issue and there is no recourse after people arrive. I have guests presently staying at my cabin. The original booking is for 2 people. I have security cameras in use(out side as stated in listing) and counted at least 8 people and an infant. It is clearly stated in listing that there is a maximum of 6 and not suitable for infants. At this point I obviously cant cancel the reservation nor can I adjust the payment. That means at least 8 showers.. extra electricity etc. and I have no way to compensate. It is also a safety issue. What can Airbnb do to back this host?

@Greg401, you need to contact the guests asap and calmly explain that per your policies you will have to charge go ahead and collect the fee for the other 6 people at this time. You can send a request for money with the charges and a description of the fees. Do you charge extra for a certain number of guests? I charge $10 extra per night for guests exceeding 2, for example.

Alternatively, guests 7 and 8 and the infant are obviously in violation of your rules altogether, so you could within your right go ahead  and contact Airbnb now and ask that the guests be removed, but I would probably attempt to get them to pay extra first, since they are already there and you probably won't have time to get new guests in on short notice. 

If they refuse, you need to contact Airbnb CS and explain that you would like the guests to be removed, as they have violated your policies. 

In the future (you may already do this), include in your booking message as well as your pre-arrival message a few days before check-in a sentence explaining that for liability issues, the number of booked guests must match the number arriving. Also, when a guest requests to book, within my initial message to them, I also include towards the top of the message, "Thank you for booking with us. I have you down for x guests for x nights. Please confirm this is correct."

After reading many complaints with this issue, I have incorporated into check in instructions that there are surveillance cameras in use and we have a strict guest policy and that booking party will be charged extra. I think Airbnb should also have this policy somewhere ,visible when people book. For the most part, being our firsht year renting, we have had honest guests. But a simple bad review will not deter these type of people and I am sure it would be easy enough for them to set up another profile with different email etc. 

Karen268
Level 3
San Lucas, Mexico

This is good advice.

Elisa533
Level 2
Saltillo, Mexico

Airbnb should make a ticking form for the guests before the reservation is finalized. Like you confirm you are bringing said number of guests and understand you will be charged more if you arrive with more than said number or will be penalized or something. People who are new to airbnb sometimes don't know they have to state how many guests are in their party or don't read the listing carefully.  And it puts hosts in an awkward situation. This is a very common problem and it shouldn't be.

I agree.  I get pretty tedious asking for explicit information about groups: names, composition of group, etc.

Medina7
Level 1
New York, United States

It’s so sad! 

They booked for 6 ppl and 12 PEOPLE CAME. RIDICULOUS. Airbnb then has the audacity to tell me that I need proof? Sure, I have my neighbor and a restaurant manager downstairs who were more than willing to sign papers with a notary but it doesn’t seem to be sufficient enough. Mind you, THEY WERE MY FIRST GUESTS EVER. 

I'm sorry this happend to you, I can't imagine how you feel. Don't quit in your first bad experience, just be more alert and do not approve to any guests just because they request it, you need to do your own filter. You can start talking and asking questions, before approve booking, you are entitle as a host to do that, it is your place and you have the right to rent it to whoever you want or not.

First time bad experience, but I'm sure that this experience helps to make you a better host and have a better filter in the future. Good luck!

Sofia172
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

I have been hosting for a year and a half now, and I realized that COMMUNICATION and HONESTY is very important in the Airbnb community to make sure host meet guests expectations and viceversa.

I think there is a way to reduce the risk of having more people booking is you make aware the guests about the consequences ahead of time.

First, I make sure I filled out all the neccesary questions I need from guests in the "Guest Requirement seccion" before booking and also filled out the "Additional Rules" seccion with a "fine print" about additional fees and consequences that may applied to them after booking.

My "fine print" specifies that if more guests are sayting in the house without being included in the booking, double guests fee will be charged. Same warning for bringing pets without notification, and for early check-in and late check-out to cover for each additional hour to pay for utilities.

I started doing this because a lot of guests started to ask me frequently to check in at noon while check-in time is at 4pm... who was paying for AC? ME! so, for that reason I also include that fee.

In addition, this "fine print" is included in the "House rules" seccion. Something that the guests will get by e-mail before check-in, so they are notified again in case they forgot,

My "house rules" is LONG! but it is worth it all the clarification and bookings keep flowing!

It has worked out very well for me. And so far all guests pay for any additional service because they are aware before booking.