How to deal with extra guests?

Answered!
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

How to deal with extra guests?

A host (call him Mark) recently described a problem, that seems to me to be an exceptionally common problem which hosts bring to the host communities to ask about.   Mark said that the guest booked 4 people, but that 6 people actually arrived.  He thought at first that only 4 guests would stay, as this had been the arrangement and what they paid for (and he doesn't allow more than 4 to stay at his home -- which is an entire house listing).  However, the next day when he went by the house to see the guests off and check them out, he saw all 6 people inside, and as they left, he saw that they were all carrying luggage, so it was clear they had all stayed there. 

Do you have any advice for Mark?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

Please take a look at our Help Center article on "When guests want to bring more people" for more information. 

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

236 Replies 236

@Richard0, How about you have 1 guest over at your house sometime, and then another time have 6 guests. Then you can tell us how it was the same amount of work to clean up after 1 as it was for 6.

You must be one of those people that aren't being completely truthful.  Its not a money thing,  most people feel that they don't need to include number of children, because typically the children under 18 stay free, and they already know that a hotel will not allow that many people in one room, try it!   And if you think the number of people staying doesn't make a difference.. you should take a look sometime at check out.  Some people don't do dishes the entire time they stay, despite the dishwasher just sitting empty.  Multiply the number of dishes for one person,  or 5 people.. makes a difference. Also the number of linens that need washing/drying.. thats time and money.  The number of people staying also makes a difference on sleeping arrangements, some places have two beds, so how do 8 people stay there? (Hawaii laws stipulates 2 bedrooms, no more than 6 people in a condo, 1 bedroom no more than 4 people etc)  Also housekeeping supplies linens based on occupancy. 

excess wear and tear on cottage

extra hot water

we have a small hot water heater so extra electricity to keep reheating tank

extra draw on the well and septic

extra toilet paper

Each individual is extra everything

People don’t realize one extra person makes a bit diffence

Chris1148
Level 2
Murphys, CA

I am a new host, just finished my 3rd. booking. I have a 1 bd cottage that I clearly state 2 persons only as this is the limit put on me by my homeowners insurance. The young lady coming to celebrate a birthday with a friends, arrived with said friend. Very friendly, outgoing and out around the property enjoying the horseshoe pits & gardens. A few hours later a third friend Arrived. They all went out on the town. Next mourning both cars still and remained so through the next evening. They left without checking in which is not required. Once in the cottage it was apparent someone slept on the small sofa. They were clean, quiet and seemed to be nice young ladies, but, not respecting my 2 person limit has flustered me. I did state in their review how disappointed I was in them for doing that to me. Makes me a bit nervous as my insurance broker lives up on the hill nearby and can see that parking lot! Do I report this? Or would my review give enough warning to future hosts on their behavior? I won’t allow them back again as I don’t trust them.

It's all probably fine. I'm sure your insurance broker has better things to do than count the cars in your driveway. And you didn't approve it, so I don't think you'll have a problem. You can't control everything that goes on at your house at every moment. They left quickly, so you're likely safe. If your review mentioned that they brought one more person than they booked for, that is enough to warn hosts, especially if you said you wouldn't have them as guests again.

I was curious to see what the hosts had to say about certain things and after reading these posts, I can honestly say it is less than desireable to rent from airbnb. I am the type of person to do things by the book and follow the rules. But it seems like even if you are following the rules and abiding by them, you still will have the host's neighbor watching your every move, host's friends driving by to literally stalk you, cameras watching you and the premises. Seriously? Cameras? This would be my first time renting through airbnb but  I feel very uncomftable after reading these comments. I just wanted bring some things to your attention. I would rather pay extra to hotel, if that is was really goes on! But thats just me adding  my two cents.

Asia19
Level 2
Clinton, MS

@Steven431 I had the same conclusion.  I am a little nervous now.  I have used Airbnb once before, and the experience left me feeling less than appreciated.  I had to beg for extra towels.  I felt like the host was keeping track of everything I used to make sure extra people weren't there.   I know not all people do this, but I can't help but see the majority in this thread. 😞

I didn’t proofread anything. Haha. But yea, you got the point. In response, my now fiancé rented one from Airbnb a couple of years ago. The experience was great. However, during checkout, the host instructed her to leave the key on the kitchen table (which I confirmed it) and leave the door unlocked, so that is what we did. Later on that day, the host left a negative review stating that my fiancé stole the key and not to rent out to her anymore. First of all, it was an apartment and you are renting out a company’s property. Secondly, (I guess it could go along with first) that is illegal since we are not on the lease agreement. And thirdly, she followed directions and did as you requested. What happened to key is not my fiancé’s problem anymore. But like I said,  personally, I wanted to rent from Airbnb but I’m on the fence. Not to mention the fence is about to break from these comments.

This thread is about how to prevent the situation of "more guests come than booked" which is why it seems so heavy on this. 

Asia, having to beg for towels sounds like a problem with that host. Please don't confuse concern about extra guests with this. I bend over backwards to give my guests a good stay, and I give them plenty of towels. I will also charge them extra if they arrive with extra guests, and if they refuse to pay I will kick them out.

There are lots of ways to monitor the number of guests without being obtrusive. My house is in a residential area and the neighbors are always looking out for each other's properties and "keeping an eye on things". For my next-door neighbor, who is retired and stays home all day, it's a natural extension for her to simply look out the window and see how many people are entering my front door. 

Lots of people have security cameras, not just Airbnb people. And I fail to see how someone driving by to check on things, is "stalking". They are taking a quick look to make sure everything is okay, the same as they would if you went out of town for a few weeks and wanted a friend to drive by and make sure your front door wasn't flapping open from a burglary, or somesuch.

@Steven431 If you still don't want to book on Airbnb after all this, then by all means go to a hotel, where the staff enters your room every day and there are cameras in all the hallways and elevators as well as the lobby.

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

As soon as a guest books, I always send an email to them, saying welcom, and ask them  again how many people will be staying.. linenes are dependant on number of guests.  Most are honest.  However even if they're honest and tell you more than allowed, if you cancel them, you will be penalized by Airbnb for the cancellation,  Which is not fare at all. 

Robin378
Level 2
Chicago, IL

My maximum capacity is 6 although 4-5  people are preferred but because guest are paying for the entire suite which  consist of 3 separate sleeping areas (3 queen beds and two twins) actually 8 people could be comfortably accommodated if 2 doubled up in the queen beds ,I guess until there's a real problem like noise or damage of property you must be a bit lenient with this policy. 

I do insist on host check -in and at such time I go over house rules while letting host know that while I may not be visible I am always on site for their convience , but really for me to monitor what's going on at my Airbnb. Communication is very important from start to finish and those guests with dishonorable intentions will feel intimidated and in most cases remove themselves from wanting to stay at your facility if you're proactive with communicating and interested in making their experience the very best possible. 

I don't feel comfortable with just giving strangers a key letting them occupy my space without meeting them up front and establishing my presence , I realize if people think you don't value your product neither will they however most folks are decent and want to do the right thing 

Peggy131
Level 2
Merritt Island, FL

Well, after reading through this thread, I think my listing will be 2 max and I will make it clear if more arrive, I will know, my property is monitored, and I will cancel immediately for that very reason. 

So cameras are necessary? If the shoe was on the other foot, would you feel comfortable with a camera watching your every move, even if your intentions are pure? Don’t get me wrong some people are a-holes but cameras? Truthfully, if people want to break the rules, they are going to break the rules anyway.

We are talking about cameras on the exterior, like security cameras. 

Sonja32
Level 2
Wimberley, TX

I'd like to share the policy that I've established to prevent this from happening at my home. As hosts, we all know, as the number of guests increases, the wear and tear on our property increases.

I created a sliding scale to generate quotes based on the number of guests at the property. Essentially, I have a base rate for up to 4 guests (my property sleeps 10). After 4 guests, I charge 40.00 per night, per guest for the additional guest fee. In addition, I list on my house rules 3 specific items that the guest must agree to prior to booking.

*Because of the additional wear and tear caused from events ALL events require written pre-approval prior to booking. Please contact me with the number of guests and the type of event for an accurate estimate. Any guests hosting events without prior written approval will forfeit the rental and be asked to leave immediately, and agree to be charged a minimum of $1,500.00 per night in addition to their rental fee for allowing extra guests on the premises.

*Events are only allowed with the owner’s written consent, AND there is an additional event fee. An event is, ANY guests on the property not listed on the reservation. Message me if you are interested in hosting an event with the type of event and the number of guests for the event, and the number of guests staying overnight.

*This property is monitored with exterior security cameras for safety.

As I understand it, we have entered a contract, with guests, based on information they provide. If the information the guests provide is inaccurate, they have essentially, broken the agreed contract.

Stating these policies, largely solved the issues I had, with extra guests showing up unannounced on bookings. I found that inaccuracies on guest counts, virtually disappeared once they were posted.