How to deal with extra guests?

Answered!
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

How to deal with extra guests?

A host (call him Mark) recently described a problem, that seems to me to be an exceptionally common problem which hosts bring to the host communities to ask about.   Mark said that the guest booked 4 people, but that 6 people actually arrived.  He thought at first that only 4 guests would stay, as this had been the arrangement and what they paid for (and he doesn't allow more than 4 to stay at his home -- which is an entire house listing).  However, the next day when he went by the house to see the guests off and check them out, he saw all 6 people inside, and as they left, he saw that they were all carrying luggage, so it was clear they had all stayed there. 

Do you have any advice for Mark?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

Please take a look at our Help Center article on "When guests want to bring more people" for more information. 

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

236 Replies 236

Personally when I stay at an air bnb I jump on all the beds, to say the least you’re giving yourself a heavy ache where non should be. If they are paying you big dollars for a night or two why get upset because you missed out on a bigger prize. You seem greedy and don’t care about your guests having a good time. Too stressed out in my opinion. Good luck 

You sound like you’re not a homeowner nor a host. Huge difference between being a guests of an AirBnB and running an AirBnb business through your home.

@ Glendy

What you are saying is that it is OK to be dishonest as long as you have a good time doing so? I sure hope I never get you as a guest.

Kerrie24
Level 2
Romford, United Kingdom

You are very right in your comment, It is certainly not okay to bring more guests than the number that was paid for.

It is total dishonesty and very decietful. The majority of hosts work hard to bring the best possible experience for their guests regardless of what is charged. Hosts have their prices  set on their websites and this is very clear to understand and to follow. This should be respected as everyone out there who are hosts are trying to be a succes and make a living.

Airbnb should have a policy that covers hosts in these situation when it occurs. It is nothing to do with greed at all it is to do with being fair and following and respecting the hosts house rules and conditions.

This has recently happened to ourselves twice that we are aware of. The first time it happened 2 guests were booked and the whole family/friends turned up and that was many more than our cottage has indicated capacity of 4. Unforntunately our cottage is self checking and we have service personel who look after it for us in France as we are in the UK. The service personel at the time did not check on this but we found out from our maintance person who has nothing to do with guests and he indicated that there wher a whole crowd of people turn up. Hence we found out this some number of months later....to late to make any claim with anyone. We soon discovered from our water bill etc that it seemed higher than usual later on.

This has also just occured again this last 2 weeks on another booking site whereby 2 guests were booked and 3 adults turned up so hence only paid for 2. This was checked by our new service personel and she referred to me immediately, hence we contacted the booking site pronto and after some emails to and fro and lots of going around in circles and disageements from both guest and booking site we got a solution. The booking site read all correspondance from everyone and came to the conclusion that the guest needed to pay the extra. The amount was taken out of the security deposit although this is not the usual practice the booking site said. So as you can imagine if the security deposit did not cover any extra guests who have not booked and turn up by surprise then the host misses out as there is no other back up in the booking sites poilcy to cover the additional out of pocket charges that have been incurred by the host. This can equate to quite a sum of money if it is added up.....extra electric, water (if teenages then thats a lot in the shower for long periods), washing & ironing charges and change over fees or adding your time if host do this themselves....but all equates to time is money if your running a business.

Then on top of that you have wear and tear, breakages and maintaince costs.

We have also had a few months ago had a breakage and maintaince issue with a guest breaking our shower unit, when our last previous service personel was employed, but it was not reported therefore we had to replace the whole shower at a cost to us of just under 1200 Euros. 

So hence all guests should be accountable and pay for who stays and not cheat not on hosts.

Overall it is a pleasure to host those guests who respect the rules and our property and the fact that they enjoy their holiday is very satisfiy to hear.

Kerrie

@Glendy0 you have obviously never hosted.

Greedy?

@Glendy3, I don't think you are a host, so I don't think you understand what having extra guests entails. Make no mistake, more guests cost a host financially. More toilet paper, more laundry, MORE cleaning (I promise, this is always true), more water and electricity, etc. The host eats these costs. Suppose a place rents for $150 a night. THe host will make x amount off that when four people stay there. If 6 people stay there, the host then makes (x-y) unless the two remaining people pay y amount. 

Most importantly: it's very dishonest. Honesty is key.

Then don't book such a big house - it's your choice and there are 1000s of options out there for you .. unless otherwise you like to cause issues and problems ... once you become a host then you may realise your attitude is totally wrong. 

I agee, I have abooking for two. 5 Arrive, thats one bed to re-do compared to  4 bedrooms.  I would consider that a significant amount of work for myself - the host.  So greedy, I as a host, dont think so.  

Rex14
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Glendy in Tulsa: - You sound like the kind of guests we want to avoid on Airbnb. Your attitude stinks. You are staying in someone elses home! Yes you are paying for it, but you don't get unlimited liberties, there are rules and conditions and unless you can respect all of those you can find somewhere else to stay that does allow you to do as you wish, it's really quite simple. Follow the rules, pay what you owe, or find somewhere else to stay.

Why jump on beds you wont use?

Because she's an inconsiderate ass. 

Hope you don’t book with us...it is ignorant to think every host is getting paid “big dollars” ...

Not very nice of you.  I am a detailer for 2 air bnb,  I get paid a flat rate based on the booked numbers of guests prior to arrival.  Imagine the unpaid work I do when Booked for 4 and 8  beds are used, all the towels and kitchen mess.   Dont be too tight to pay for what you use.

So, all people need to do to get a better price then others is to lie an cheat their way to a better deal? That seems moral to you?