More than doubled their guests

Karen2855
Level 1
Lavallette, NJ

More than doubled their guests

Good morning-

I had a guest book a one-night stay at my home. In his details, he stated that 4 people would be staying. Well upon checking my cameras, I see at least 8-9 people. Is there anything that I can do about this? Or do I just write on my review for him that he was not forthcoming with proper check-in details. 

My house only sleeps 6 people, TOPS, so I'm a bit concerned at what condition they left my house in. 

Karen

9 Replies 9

Definitely note this in the review so other hosts are aware if he tries to book with them.  Not much else you can do about the extra guests. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Karen2855 

Welcome to the community 😊

Sorry to hear about your experience.

The guest shows up with extra people unannounced. The host has the right to turn them away. If the experience can add additional people, that's up to the host.

Contact the Airbnb support help center via message, acknowledge to the team your concern and the incident.
The Airbnb Support team may not respond to you immediately as they need to contact the guest to listen to both sides and investigating the case.

If you're unable to accommodate the more significant number of guests, let your guest know that your place isn't the right fit for their group size, and ask them to cancel their reservation. They'll be refunds according to your cancellation policy. Learn how to add additional guest fees for future reservations

On Airbnb, hosts can add a fee for additional travelers on their listing. This fee cannot be applied once the guest has arrived and later checked out. This is just another effective measure for guests to know that they must pay extra for additional people

1. Submit a change request through to the Airbnb Resolution Center after the guest checks out
  2. File The request to notified the guest and asked to respond. If they ignore or decline your bid, you can tell Airbnb to intervene after 72 hours. So long as you have an extra person charge and photo. Take photos of the event and the home conditions the guest left, present to the claim
  3. Red flag the guest profile and feedback an honest review to warn another host

Airbnb help article, as a link below,

What is the Resolution Center? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

In addition, to prevent the extra guest and the top tool as follows,

1. To be clear in your house rules and policy or include the guest limit in the rental agreement 
  2. Ask for every guest name and verify document to egistered In the booking page
  3. Add fee of extra guests 
  4. look for utilize technology to help prevent extra guests, these top tools should be in your arsenal as Noise Aware, Minut and Party Squashers

I hope you can resolve the issue.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you saw that the guest had twice the number of people with him than had booked @Karen2855  what did you say to the guest.

In your situation I would have reminded him that only four had booked so the others who had arrived needed to leave.

If you wanted to you could have asked him to add two additional people to the booking and have him pay for them.

Personally I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking and then would have gone over to evict them or if you have a local co-host have them do it.

Obviously mark them down and leave an honest review to warn future hosts.

Thanks! I emailed the guest and am waiting for a response. I emailed him this morning, as I was afraid to question him while he was staying at my house last night. I didn't want him going around damaging my house out of anger.  If he admits to having more guests, I see that I can go and request additional payment. I will also be noting this on he review as well. 

I did not know you could evict someone in the middle of their stay.  Interesting. 

@Karen2855  What does the guest admitting he had extra people have to do with it? You have it recorded on your camera. You don't ask him if he had extras, you tell him you know he did and that he needs to pay for them.

And of course you can evict a guest or cut their reservation short. You are in charge of what you allow in your home, not Airbnb. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

HI @Karen2855 

This is your business, you don't send guests an email they can ignore in this sort of situation.  @Karen2855 You message them on the app so there is a record that you know they have brought an additional five people  not on the booking  - hopefully this is in contravention of your house rules.

You then can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking, citing they have brought five additional guests not on the booking and you fear they are going to party and damage your place. You or your co-host can then go there and ask them to leave immediately. If Airbnb don't cancel immediately go anyway.

It's unlikely they are going to damage your property while you are there,  but God knows what sort of damage they might have done by allowing 9 people to stay and likely party at your place.

Sorry the advice from Dale is misleading. A guest willfully bringing in an additional five people that are not on the booking is not going to cancel and you will not be paid out in line with your cancellation policy. 

I do hope you find the place in a good state.

Please, please leave an honest review to warn future hosts.

The best you can hope for is to ask Airbnb to cancel and get over there to turf them out before they have the opportunity to do any damage.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Karen2855   What an adorable seaside cottage you have!  I see it is listed with 2 bedrooms for a total of 5 guests.  I also see that while you have a rule against parties, I do not see a rule that does not allow additional guests without discussion with the host.  It could be ignorance on the part of the guest that additional people are not allowed or at least require host agreement.  Since you did not interceded at the time of the activity and the guest was booked only for one night, unless there is damage that you seek compensation for, your only recourse is really to reflect the issue in your review.  However, I think you should take some steps to ensure guests understand the limits of staying in your home.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

Please let the host community know about this in your review of the guest. Other hosts definitely appreciate this. I'd rather avoid guests like this.

Raymond350
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i would ask them to leave i would not put up with that and air bnb dont seem to care i have a deduction on my account sayin i refunded a couple * who stsyed then tryed to scam me i made clear to air bnb i will remove current guests but i cant bring my self to do it as they are no problem a nice * couple with kids who are actuwlly great  i feel like refunding them and makin air bnb cover a hotel for them  but i dont think i could do that so this is last i use air bnb

*identifying information removed