Mosquito Repellant Coils Burned Indoors

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

Mosquito Repellant Coils Burned Indoors

This is my first post here and I thought I should share this information.

During their nine-day stay, our guests burned mosquito-repelling coils (the green ones) indoors which embedded a campfire smell in all of our surfaces and air-conditioners. The guest confirmed this when I asked if there was "a fire" inside the villa during their stay (benefit of the doubt), she volunteered that they had burned these daily, indoors, during their stay. All the drapes had to be taken down, cushions cleaned and air-conditioners scheduled to be rinsed out as they're pumping out a campfire smell. 

What's of interest to hosts here is that the guest strongly argued that our Non Smoking Policy doesn't specify any products, tobacco or otherwise, therefore she assumed smoking of cigarettes was prohibited, but not burning these products (which interestingly are the equivalent of about 75 cigarettes per coil). These shouldn't even be burned indoors and the ones sold on our island state "for outdoor use only", not sure about other brands. In short, I'd never burn these indoors and never thought I needed to be that specific about smoke products.

The guests refused any compensation for the emergency professional cleanings involved in treating our home for smoke damage. I contacted AirBnb support to get clarification on the No Smoking policy, and what it includes. They confirmed this includes all smoke-producing activity inside the villa (well, short of burning toast or your dinner). So, this combined with the petulant guest response, I am moving forward with the invoices to reinstate a clean breathing experience for the next guests.

I should note that these guests bargained a discount, arrived early and were compensated with a restaurant meal for complaining about sub-par Internet speed, which no one has complained about to date. We did right by them and I feel it was a negligent assumption to burn such a toxic, smoke-producing substance in our home during their stay. Never did they send a note asking about mosquito management, and this being the tropics, we do provide ample information in our guide about how to manage these. I never thought to mention that burning of the green coils indoors is prohibited. So for those who have tropical climates, I would say, specify this, but AirBnb has confirmed to me that we don't need to list any and all smoke-related products in the Non Smoking policy, which is a relief.

Personally, I'd never assume that burning such things, or even incense, would be acceptable in someone's home, but I'll add this to my hosting experience and be very specific in the future. For now, I've waived the cost of cleaning all the linen, but am pursuing the cost of cleaning the air-cons which are pumping out a fire smell.

The Johnsons
2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

"These guest bargained a discount, arrived early and were compensated with a restaurant meal for complaining about sub-par Internet speed". 

I would have declined these red flag waving numbskulls at 'discount'. That is always the first sign of the trouble to come.

Every single notice, label or disclaimer I have posted in my listing is in response to some dumb thing a guest has done. I'm sure the guest filled with common sense must think I'm a crazy control freak. But we must cover ALL bases. Tedious, exhausting,  but necessary. 

"these guests bargained a discount"

I stop at the discount request and don't entertain any further discussion.  In my experience, every single one of the few times I have discounted my rate, it has brought guests that would otherwise not, shall we say, have been my chosen customers.