Most common summer habits in your area

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Most common summer habits in your area

725586_HPC_poster_965290662.jpg

Hi all,

In the summer the weather grows warmer, the days get longer, and the sun shines brighter. Though these aren’t the only certainties. For example, in Greece, you can expect a few things you will experience no matter what. Images you see from your very childhood that become something like habits. 

It is certain that whenever you see a big family on the beach at some point the mother will search for tupperware and introduce fried meatballs (of all things!) to feed the kids. Or there will be people playing beach rackets (imagine tennis but without the net). You will also smell sunscreen or aftersun everywhere you are, most preferably with watermelon or coconut aromas. Oh, there’s also panigiria, (pronounced paneegheeria - big gatherings of people with lots of free food and even more alcohol, that you have to bear even if you want to sleep). 

With this in mind, I would like to know what are some of the things you expect to see / experience every single summer in your area? 

It’s mostly things you are so used to you don’t even notice, but those are the exact small details that make every place and culture unique. As for our friends in Australia and New Zealand, don’t feel excluded; I’m writing this under the grey London sky. A grey so unified it feels we are under a dome of sorts, not experiencing any sort of summer whatsoever either.

Nick

21 Replies 21
Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

@Nick 

Hi Nick,

It is always nice to reminisce on Summer days at the beach whether with family or friends. 

Picnics , sandcastles and swimming has got to be traditional for many,  however what I also expect to see are creative driftwood projects. 

Sun shelter made from driftwoodSun shelter made from driftwoodSun shelter tee peeSun shelter tee pee

It is amazing how quickly ideas evolve! 

‘Enjoy your summer , even if some days are grey. ‘

Laura

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Laura2484  Heh that could be my beach .🙂 We must have the same architects. 

@Nick  It’s generally the norm in Aotearoa to go barefoot in summer but you have to wear jandals on the sand otherwise you will burn your feet off.

One thing that makes me smile always is our tan lines .Not my feetNot my feet

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this @Laura2484 

Brings back memories from last summer - photo taken in Pelion,

We build this for some shade during noon time - had it there for a few days 🙂 

IMG_1409.jpeg

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

oh yes, @Ria16 the "beloved" crocs... 😃

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

One thing I expect to see in Summer in London is drinking and lots of it. People gathering outside the pubs after work and on weekends. Drinking seems to be our national pastime, as I am sure you know.

Of course, everything has changed now. 

I always throw a big BBQ at some point in the Summer and invite lots of friends, rather than a series of smaller ones, but obviously I am not doing that this year. It's been such a tradition for years and years that it seems a bit strange now not to have that event coming up. Some friends suggested I have a 'virtual' one but I am not sure it would be much fun setting up the BBQ and grilling food just for myself, so I think virtual drinking sessions are far more likely.

I do have my first guest of the Summer arriving tomorrow though so perhaps he will be up for a BBQ. Let's see!

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  Was just about to say daytime drinking, am longing for a jug of Pimms etc but feels so odd to do this indoors. Mentally, I feel as if we are in Spring. Next year?! 😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yadira22 

Good point. Indoor Pimms? No, that's just wrong. Do you not have any outdoor space? If not, how about Pimms in the park?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Yadira22 @Huma0 totally down for the Pimms in the park idea, just in case you want me to tag along 🙂 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick @Huma0 sounds fun, if we can arrange enough London hosts and guests! But we would need to do this sometime and somewhere less crowded. If anyone wants to arrange this?! 🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

We had a cook-along on the CC meetups the other week and I know @Lizzie loves a good BBQ so maybe something to think about @Huma0 🙂 🙂 

Good luck with the first guest, hope you'll both have a great experience. We need more of those right now! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yadira22 @Nick 

I haven't been to a BBQ for I don't know how long! A socially distanced meet up in the park sounds lovely. I did meet a couple of friends in Green Park recently and it wasn't too busy given that it was a Saturday, but it wasn't deserted either! 

@Nickmy new guest is lovely by the way. He's a local currently looking for a new home in my area and is working from home five days a week, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable about having him here.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Great topic and photos @Nick @Huma0 @Ria16 @Laura2484 

Summer in New Zealand often starts with a visit to swimming pools ....this is Parnell Baths when it's cleaned and ready for swimming in.

Do you know which country the flags , which show  there reflections on the water belong to?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Nick,seems to be another IT glitch trying to upload photos from mobile phones, would you please ensure it fixed up.

It's been mentioned by others here in CC in recent times by others.

Thanks

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I know they will ask for you guys to communicate with them, but I will share a screenshot of this post and cross my fingers that it will be enough. Thanks @Helen427