Most common summer habits in your area

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Most common summer habits in your area

725586_HPC_poster_965290662.jpg

Hi all,

In the summer the weather grows warmer, the days get longer, and the sun shines brighter. Though these aren’t the only certainties. For example, in Greece, you can expect a few things you will experience no matter what. Images you see from your very childhood that become something like habits. 

It is certain that whenever you see a big family on the beach at some point the mother will search for tupperware and introduce fried meatballs (of all things!) to feed the kids. Or there will be people playing beach rackets (imagine tennis but without the net). You will also smell sunscreen or aftersun everywhere you are, most preferably with watermelon or coconut aromas. Oh, there’s also panigiria, (pronounced paneegheeria - big gatherings of people with lots of free food and even more alcohol, that you have to bear even if you want to sleep). 

With this in mind, I would like to know what are some of the things you expect to see / experience every single summer in your area? 

It’s mostly things you are so used to you don’t even notice, but those are the exact small details that make every place and culture unique. As for our friends in Australia and New Zealand, don’t feel excluded; I’m writing this under the grey London sky. A grey so unified it feels we are under a dome of sorts, not experiencing any sort of summer whatsoever either.

Nick

21 Replies 21
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick  "at some point the mother will search for tupperware and introduce fried meatballs (of all things!) to feed the kids."

Haha. Mexican families arrive for a beach day with chairs, tables, umbrellas, coolers, guitars, toys, beach balls, everything but the kitchen sink. The women instantly have the tables covered with meal making supplies and they appear to never stop preparing food the entire time they are there.

It's so hot and humid here in the summer, the main activity is finding a cool spot and sitting there all day with a cold drink. You can tell who the tourists are and who the locals are- the tourists are all sunburnt, the locals know it's too hot to go out in the sun 🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 it is exactly the same where I'm from! Years ago, more than a decade actually - wow, I had a partner who was Mexican. I was astonished to see how many similarities there were not only in our cultures but also at the scenery when visiting. So, YES, I can picture it now, as if it was any beach in Greece 😁

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The most common local summer habit: "The Cloud" or "Oblak"

The Cloud is a coctail - mix of two alcohol drinks- "Mastika" (almost similar to the Greek "Ouzo") and Menta-a refreshing 25% alcohol beverage made from spearmint oils.

The recipe is simple:

Half part Mastika and half part Menta. Both ice cold, from the freezer. Ice cream as an optional ingredient.

Why it's called "Cloud"...after 3-4 drinks the reason becomes apparent .

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

For a moment you got me wondering @Dimitar27 as masticha (as we pronounce it) is not so similar to Ouzo - taste or buzz wise - and I thought it was a different drink. But then Google came to the rescue 🙂 As a Greek, of course, I know the drink, the mastic tree is unique to the island of Chios. 

We usually drink it on its own as an aperitif (it helps with digestion) although modern mixologists do make some creative cocktails with it. Never had it with menta before, so I know what I'll be ordering in a few weeks time. Thanks for the tip, can't wait to be on Cloud Nine 😉

Mastika is anise-flavoured. Like the Ouzo.

Something common for the Balkans-same things with different names everywhere and totally different things with one name...

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

next week I'm trying it 🙂 @Dimitar27 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to hear @Huma0 !

(Dear Zeus, please don't turn this into another heated Wi-Fi speed discussion will need to close, due to the whole working from home trigger) 😁