Muckspreading

Nicky182
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Muckspreading

Our accommodation is in a rural setting. The farmer did some pretty smelly muck spreading on the same day as our guests arrived. It smelt bad in the air because of the wind direction but was not close by. The guests decided not to stay because of the air smell and would not even look at the accommodation (which did not smell) . The bad smell was temporary and had they have stayed it would not have been an issue. They are now requesting a full refund. I disagree because it is a country smell in a rural setting beyond our control and also I doubt I would get the room rebooked at such short notice.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is there a way to issue a partial refund?

We want to be fair as we have given up our time and effort to prepare for these guests and feel their reason for cancelling is unreasonable. We have a moderate cancellation policy.

2 Replies 2
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Nicky182 It seems like your cancelation policy still stands according to airbnb.   https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

My concern would be if she now has the ability to leave you a 1 star review and shut down your listing temporarily.

@Nicky182  If you'd like to offer a refund of any amount, just click https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions

This won't be the last time something like this comes up. Travelers who in pre-pandemic times might have usually jetted down to the Mediterranean for their holidays are now seeking out domestic destinations that they perceive as charmingly idyllic. They don't necessary consider that farm smells, insects, spiders, and mud are also part of the experience, and that life in rural communities doesn't revolve around leisure travel.

Your listing prominently features beautiful pictures of a sun-splashed garden and fragrant lavender blossoms, so it's not surprising that the guests thought they were in for lots of relaxing time outside enjoying the fresh country air, rather than spending the holiday inside their bedroom with the windows closed to keep out the foul odor. The guests aren't owed a refund just because they didn't like the smell of the air, for the same reason you're not responsible for bad weather or anything else beyond your control. But if the guests are displeased with your response, you'll have to accept that your perfect 5-star streak has come to an end. It's not the end of the world - nobody keeps a score like that forever.

You might consider working on the listing descriptions a bit to set more accurate expectations. There's nothing wrong with mentioning a few things that some people might perceive as negatives - if it puts guests like these off from booking, that can only be a plus.