Multicalendar redesign now needs 6 listings to work!

Lubo2
Level 3
Hollywood, FL

Multicalendar redesign now needs 6 listings to work!

This morning, (Oct 28 2018) multicalendar stopped working for me accross all platforms. I just got off the phone with customer support. After speaking with two different reps, and going through all the troubleshooting, I was finally told that the multicalendar is undergoing a 'redesign' and is currently available only to hosts with 6 or more properties. The link to access the calendar is still on my account, but it just defaults back to my first listing's month-view calendar. No error, no explanation to that effect, nothing.

This is just ridiculous. I don't see any reason they could have for enacting this minimum. Bandwidth conservation? 'encouraging' people to add more listings? On the current documentation page it states that accounts with multiple listings will be able to use the multicalendar (as in, more than one). It has worked for years when I had 2 listings, and now that I have 4. This is an indispensible tool for serious hosts who host rooms full time, and anyone who hosts mutiple, short term reservations back to back, all year round. It is a huge hassle to try to fit longer reservations when you have to switch them from listing to listing without being able to see all listings next to each other with a bird's eye view. Changing prices, seeing when listings are to be cleaned was much easier. Quickly being able to see when no properties were booked so you could plan a vacation. I mean, the uses are just endless! There's a reason all regular rental and hotel software platforms have this feature!

The rep said that they may or may not keep the 6 listing requirement once the feature is fully rolled out, and that there's no way to know for sure, but for now it's 'broken.' Even if they are doing testing to determine this, I don't see why the current multicalendar has to be inacessible. He said it should work with properties with more than 6 listings. So that means all of these hosts who have less than 4 suddenly have no access to this tool, even if the redesign is still not finalized and rolled out?

I just wanted to get this out there since it's something that happened recently and I'm sure other serious hosts would find frustrating. It has happened before, and it has been fixed. I know that there are alternatives to this, such as Google calendar or management software, but you either have to a). pay for it, or b). it just doesn't work well (does not show picture or enough info, not visually easy to see check ins and outs because it doesn't place reservations halfway over the next day as typical hotel calendar software does).

They really need to fix this, and allow people with more than one listing to use this feature. And if they're doing a redesign or something else, please at least don't break this feature while updating it!

49 Replies 49

Superstrict policies do work that way @Jeff158.

Fiona83
Level 2
Venice, Italy

I absolutely agree! Please bring back the multi calendar - not having it has more than doubled my work with organinsing guests and timetables, plus the margin for errors is far greater!  It was a simple indispensible tool that worked well.  If airbnb are trying to improve their sight and make it easier for hosts, taking the multicalendar away is not the way to do it!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Jeff

You say...

"Anyone with multiple listings is notan amateur host, your in business, and I think this move is to get hosts to register as business users"

Airbnb's official definition.... 

Who Can Use Pro-Tools?

These tools are built for hosts with multiple (6+) listings who are managing teams, or anyone interested in growing a hospitality business. This includes individuals, property managers, boutique hotels, b&bs. If that doesn't sound like you, you can still list here (with a link back to the regular portal, where Airbnb will list the Pros right alongside you anyway, but with the Big Boys being favoured with  infinitely more beneficial terms and conditions than us minions, of course) 

Regardless of my 8 years exemplary and commited service to the Airbnb brand, my thousands of extremely happy Airbnb guests, my hundreds of 5* reviews, my extensive, proven Airbnb hosting skills and experience, or the fact that I am indeed already a registered business, and have been for years.... by their own admission, Airbnb makes it crystal clear that it most certainly does not consider me - with my paltry offering of just two entire home listings - as being worthy of either access to its glittering Suite of Pro-Tools, or of being classed as a "Professional" (as defined by Airbnb)  So whilst I, personally, would definitely not class myself as an amateur either, Airbnb undeniably does. And treats me accordingly, like I'm some sort of sescond-class citizen in comparison to the Pros. 

Paradoxically - and it would be funny, If it weren't so goddam*  tragic - my government, tax man and local council see me (and want to regulate me) as being exactly the same as the  "Professionals" on the Airbnb platform, such as the international speculator with $22 million in recent funding and 400 properties in a number of cities worldwide behind him, who joined in June and has doubled his inventory of Dublin Airbnb listings in the past month, or the "property manager" with 48 listings, 4* average rating, and a slew of dodgy reviews, renting his place for less than it costs me to do my cleaning and laundry, whose calendar is always nicely full.

Consequently, because our diminutive city unequivocally is  being stripped bare of long term-housing stock by all the foreign investors, speculators, estate agents, vultures and developers who are now very much in the majority on Airbnb, (and because local residents are pig-sick of the constant anti-social behaviour of the Pros' unmonitored guests), the local authorities have decided to shut us all down. So I'm looking at the little business I've spent years working my arse off to build up - and poured my heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into - going t*t's up, through no fault of my own, but because of the sheer greed and negligence of others, and because of the duplicity and dishonesty of Airbnb itself. Fact. 

For months now, the *only crumbs I've been thrown from the table (4 two night bookings across 2 listings in the past 2.5 months) have all been last-minute bookings for large groups (8-12 guests), who have all been cancelled on by their hosts - without explanation or apology - less than 24hrs before arrival (one at 11pm). All these bookings have been cancelled by "professional" operators, and without exception, each group has been delighted to end up at mine because they much preferred it to the places they originally booked, and each group was adamant (and pretty disgusted) that neither of my listings had been shown in the searches when they were booking previously. Yet Mr $22 Million and Mr 48 Listings with Dodgy Reviews - and many more big players like them - are flying high in every search and hoovering up all the bookings, while I - and many more little fish like me - are suppressed, and only offered to searchers when the Pro's have had their lion's share. That sound fair or equitable to you, Jeff? 

Many small, traditional hosts (both private room and entire home), who are reading this will think "Ah that's just Dublin - doesn't affect me. I'm still doing just tickety-boo on Airbnb, why should I care?" Well you should  care, and you should care very much, because whether or not you all choose to turn a blind eye to Airbnb systematically pushing your fellow hosts out of business in favour of lucrative commercial operators, this will ultimately affect every last one of us, in more ways than you understand. Nobody is immune, and even if you're fortunate enough not to have been negatively impacted yet, believe me, it's coming to your door very soon too. 

The "professionalisation" of Airbnb - and more specifically, Airbnb's obsession with trying to hide their colossal professional operations from regulators and policymakers, behind a rapidly crumbling "all about the little guy using his Airbnb income to pay his bills and stay in his home" facade - is slowly but surely killing every small traditional host out there. You, me, and just about every other host who posts in this forum.

This ain't no chatter Jeff. This is the reality that tens - if not hundreds -of thousands of hosts worldwide are living right now - many of whom genuinely do rely on their Airbnb income to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. So yeah, I can assure you, it's very much doom and gloom for every "non-professional" Airbnb host out there. Open your eyes, people. There is no "global community" - it's all a cleverly constructed illusion. Airbnb is, quite simply, the Emperors New Clothes tale of the new millenium. We're all being used - and abused - by a mammoth $38 billion multi-national corporation, whose bottom line is its sole concern... but nobody wants to see or hear it. Cover your arses, before it's too late. 

Thanks for the information. Got it sorted now.

Fremont0
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I have the same issue and I've spent hours with two reps (from the Phillippinnes who cannot help at all and don't even seem to clearly grasp what I'm talking about).  Until I read your post, I didn't realize that this was due to the fact that there are fewer than 6 listings.  Having to update my 4 listings one at a time is a total hassle and doesn't seem necessary.  If they can do it for 6, why not 4?!