Multiple Listings for same property ... Permitted?

Howard8
Level 2
Copan Ruinas, Honduras

Multiple Listings for same property ... Permitted?

What is the policy of Air BnB regarding properties which list the same room multiple times?

There is a hotel in my town that has three listings with the same rate for the same rooms.

is this permitted?

27 Replies 27

Same situation we just went through!  I believe our host did the exact same thing.  He home is infested with German cockroaches.  I feel like I could have written this!

Victoria103
Level 2
Yerevan, Armenia

I have a similar situation here. I was searching a property and noticed that I repeatidly see the same listing. In this case it is listed by the same host 18 times!!! with quite different prices from 75 to 95 Euros per night. All the listings are new with no reviews but the one.

It's very strange and make things seem untrustworthy.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/18276677/listings 

Stephanie1095
Level 2
Gulf Shores, AL

I am a host on Airbnb.  I have several listing for different properties and I co-host on two other properties.  I have a husband and wife that have several listing on Airbnb listed twice.  I know this because they own in one of the complexes I own a property in.  My question to Airbnb is how is this fair to me as a host trying to follow the rules and do what is best for my guests? Also, I think this could be considered a scam to the guest.  

Gigi78
Level 2
New York, NY

I don’t understand what is wrong with one property with multiple listings. I want to describe my one property in different ways to attract different customers. If the listings are linked it can’t be double booked. Please explain.   

I completely agree. I see no problem listing same property twice because people search in different ways. Such as I rent out my home in Florida and some guests search under different names for the same exact area.....such as a more general search or a more specific area. It offers more opportunities for guests to find what they want......as long as it is same cost per night and there is a calendar on AirBnB to link so there are no double bookings.

I do not see this as a scam or anything suspicious per other comments?

Marina1454
Level 2
Beckenham, United Kingdom

"Duplicate listings are not allowed on Airbnb. Nor are fake listings for apartments that don’t exist. Airbnb hosts are also not allowed to delete and re-list properties after they attract too many negative reviews".

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/airbnb-scam-london

This article clarifies many of the questioning raised here, recommend the reading!

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Howard8, @Marina1454 @Veronica846 @Marie6118 @Jola-and-Tom0 

We have a very legitimate reason for having 2 listings.

We are a spacious 8 bed Villa, in a popular tourist destination. We operate year round. 

However, there's a big difference in bookings from summer to winter. 

In the summer, our bookings will always be larger groups of 6-8 pax. We price the Villa at a flat rate maximum in that season. And we get it. 

In the winter, however, the average pax in a booking will be 2-4. So, if we price the Villa for 6-8, we'd bed priced out of the main market.

So,  in winter, we price on a per person basis. The more people, the higher the price. This enables the more common winter 2-6 pax groups to afford the Villa. And it keeps us booked year round. 

In contrast, if we had a per person rate structure in summer,  we would not receive the group bookings at the highest rates, because it would quickly be booked up by couples or small families. So, in summer, it's one flat rate, regardless of pax. 

But on Airbnb, you can't change the pricing structure on a seasonal basis on one listing. So, we have 2 listings. One for summer, and one for winter. 

It's easy to manage, too. Just block November thru March on the summer listing, and block April thru October on the other. 

This is a very nice idea. Have you had any problems?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Nelly213 

The only issue is syncing calendars with other platforms. 

Because each listing blocks half the year, you can't sync them both with a single listing on another platform because all dates would show as blocked on the other platform. 

So, you either have to have the same 2 listings on the other platforms, or manage it manually. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nelly213 another 'problem' with what @Elaine701 does is that the reviews are split between two properties. Clearly not a problem for an established listing but it will make it slightly harder to reach the top of the search engine for a new listing. Hopefully Airbnb will continue to evolve their rule sets so that dual listings are not needed in the future.

@Nelly213 @Mike-And-Jane0 

True, it took us about a year to gain a number of reviews after we split them up.  

Unfortunately, there's no other way to implement two different pricing models (on Airbnb anyway). And for us, it's important to be able to do so. 

Ramy37
Level 1
South Sinai Governorate, Egypt

Hi, although this thread is really useful I'm still not sure if Airbnb is allowing duplicating the same property or not, I mean like where is the rule about it on Airbnb itself?

@Ramy37 there is absolutely nothing that disallows listing the same property twice. The only 'rule' is that you cannot cancel bookings without a penalty so it is critical to keep the availability up to date.