Multiple Listings for same property ... Permitted?

Howard8
Level 2
Copan Ruinas, Honduras

Multiple Listings for same property ... Permitted?

What is the policy of Air BnB regarding properties which list the same room multiple times?

There is a hotel in my town that has three listings with the same rate for the same rooms.

is this permitted?

27 Replies 27
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Howard8, I don't think there is anything to actually prevent a host doing this but it's an incredibly stupid thing to do. Very quickly they will have multiple bookings for the same room, will have to cancel and it will cost them reputation and money. What's the point? Guests can only book once for each room per night, so to have the listing more than once is inviting trouble.

Per Air BNB its not permitted but they let it happen and do nothing about it.  The dont varify the ownership if properties and aloow anything to be listed.  

The hosts that do this are crooks and thieves. And smart!!!  The take customers off the market usually for a low price.  Then when the guests show up they apologize for the confussion and put them in a different property.  its a bate and switch scam!!!!

Air BNB Trust and Security are lacking TRUST & SECURITY.  They just want their fee!!!!!!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Howard8

I cannot see anything untoward with this. They have listed three of their rooms on airbnb. To achieve this on the airbnb platform, they need to list each room separately.

So @Daniel722 I do not think it is a bait and switch - just a hotel with some identical rooms.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

I would agree with @Marit-Anne0 you can list upto 25 rooms in your hotel

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1526

I agree with Howard.  The problem with booking sites is their use of settings which apply to all bookings, such as minimum stay, whereas good system design would allow each day to have the option to override global settings.  For example,  to promote short term occupancy gaps, I can imagine having a different set of pricing and minimum stay settings.  No crooks, no thieves, just good additional management with no intention to deceive.  Nothing wrong with multiple offerings, multiple choice to suit the needs of both guests and hosts.  However, from 4 decades experience in system design, and from my understanding that parameters are best offered at the lowest transaction level, workarounds like this would not be necessary if the system is designed correctly.

Rebecca354
Level 1
Kailua, HI

Hello,

I am tryig to rent, and I have seen the exact same house listed twice, with differents hosts listing and differnet prices (one $20 less than the other). The descriptions are almost identicial. One hosted says he is a political consultant, the other says she is married (to someone with a different name than the first host). 

What's the story?  It makes no sense from my perspective to list the same exact house twice. Its not different rooms in a hotel for example. Its the same house. 

Thanks for any advice.

@Rebecca354

Properties sometimes change hands, so nothing untoward unless they are available for the same dates. Did you look at the calendar for both ? Or something fishy in one of the listings to identify a possible scammer ?

Aloha,

they have the same dates available. One is listed at 81 a night, the other is 104. Same house, same address. Completely different hosts. I connected Airbnb. They said they can confirm they are both “real” hosts that have had previous bookings and positive reviews. I corresponded with one host, and did not get the sense anything was odd. But then why is the house listed twice, with different prices and same dates?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1078530?location=Edinburgh%2C%20United%20Kingdom&adults=1&s=HSa9p4Ob&gu...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22064164?location=Edinburgh%2C%20United%20Kingdom&adults=1&children=0&i...

Thanks!

We have noticed that a local rental company has listed all their properties three times, all with different "hosts" but we know it is the same company. They are keeping real listings from showing up on searches, like ours, and since they started doing this, ours and other folks have had their rentals go down significantly. Is there nothing we can do about this? Even if only one of their listings gains rentals, because they have so many they are pushing out a lof of other listings. Surely this has to be against a policy??

I have the same exact situation,

did you get any resolution from Airbnb? 

The only reason a host might list same property more than once, is for greater exposure. You can list the specific area where your property is located as the heading and then also anther listing for same home with a more general heading. Such as New York Apartment and another Upper East Side Apartment ........Is only to offer more exposure and you can connect one calendar to not book twice. Nothing suspicious about this. But, the cost should be exactly the same!

I am in the strange situation of going to list my property which we have been having managed by an accomodation Services company, only to find that they have listed it themselves and at an outrageously inflated price over the one they rent the property out at normally.  We have been meaning to manage our property on Airbnb for a while.  I dont think anyone will be renting it at the prices they have configured so I am sure people will come through us but I am worried that people might be worried seeing 2 listings for the one property.  I am sure as property owners we could report the other listing and they would need to take it down but also it's possibly good to have the second avenue available.

Would be interested in anyones thoughts.

Emma571
Level 1
New Market, MD

I am staying in an AirBnB right now that I'm pretty sure has two listings for it by the same host. I believe the second, newer listing was created so that potential guests could not read the comments from previous guests about the first listing. The host has blocked off all future dates for past/first listing, so the past listing does not appear in guest searches. Had I known about and read the comments from the first listing, I would not have chosen this AirBnB. The previous comments identify the same issues I am dealing with, so I feel like I've been scammed.