Multiple Listings on the same property, Guests don't like each other.

Shoshana11
Level 2
Lexington, KY

Multiple Listings on the same property, Guests don't like each other.

So I have a duplex home that I rent out separately on Airbnb which is clearly stated on the listing. 

Recently, I had guests in each listing. One set of guests was a family of 3 with a young child, the other set of guests were 3 college girls.

The girls were partying all night and the other guests were furious because of the noise from the girls.

The family messaged me to keep the other girls in check. I don't want a bad review from either of my guests, although I feel as if the family will leave a bad review because of the college girls.

I can't control my guests noise. People are people.

Has anyone experienced this? What should I do?

4 Replies 4

@Shoshana11 It's an unpleasant task to control your guests' noise, but it's part of your job as a host.

To make sure both sides of the duplex feel equally treated, I recommend having Quiet Hours specified in your House Rules. This also gives you a concrete policy to enforce on the spot when you receive a complaint.

From the guest perspective, if they have a valid complaint, "I can't control my other guests" *is not an acceptable answer. A negative review is all but inevitable, but if the booking is complete you might get in front of it with a written apology. If these issues are mentioned in the review, you can post a humble response thanking the guest for their feedback and indicating how you plan to prevent noise issues in the future. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like @Anonymous says, @Shoshana11, it is your job to maintain a suitable environment for both sets of your guests. I'd complain if my neighbour in a hotel room was noisy (I have done, and the management have intervened) and would do the same in the case you refer to.

I'd suggest you make it clear on your listing that yours isn't a party/noisy house and guests must be respectful of each other. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Shoshana11 really? You think it’s ok for your guests to party all night and disturb a family who are on top of everything else are your own paying guests? Two of my houses are duplexes and I deal with this all them time. And every time it is my problem, not my guests. One house has really thin walls so I have a disclosure that they will most likely hear each other. I still don’t allow partying into the night though. Yes, unfortunately both sides end up unhappy. But you cannot ruin someone’s vacation because you are afraid of negative feedback. Plus the family would probably leave you a bad review anyway. It is one thing to get a negative that sais neighbors partied and future guests would assume it was one time situation vs getting a negative that said neighbors partied and host refused to deal with it. In this case you look like a bad host. Also, if you are not going to calm the college girls down, the family might. Which will still leave everyone unhappy. 

One route you can take of you don’t want to get involved with controlling your guests is out down that you do not have quiet hours and your guests may hear the neighbors, say that you do not recommend your place to light sleepers or families. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"Guests don't like each other" seems like a very inaccurate and strange view of the situation. Guests B reasonably object to Guests A's disrespect for others. Should read "Guests are disturbing other guests and host refuses to address the situation".