Multiple rooms or studios ?

Jérémie35
Level 2
Aiseau-Presles, BE

Multiple rooms or studios ?

Hello everyone!

I acquired an old house I need to completely renovate, really close to a quite successful airport in Europe : Ryanair has loads of flights there. It's mostly a hub, people stop here then travel to their destination, and I figured I could probably start an Airbnb once the house will be all shiny and fueled with green energy only. 

The house has a small garden and consists of two 30m² floors. I'm wondering if I should make two separated studios, thus investing a little more time and money on furniture and amenities, or listen to some advice to make it a shared home, with four bedrooms and one bathroom.

Any thoughts or numbers based on your experience, analysis,  or just some commonplace knowledge among the Airbnb hosts? 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If I understand your description, you have a two story house that is going to be renovated and you are wanting input about making two studios or 4 bedrooms.  Right?

I don't know your market, but your description of the closness to a major airport suggests you expect most of your guests to stay a single night rather than to remain in the area.  Is that correct?

I assume you will not be residing in the house as well so you are looking to be a remote manager/host.  Here are my thoughts:  4 bedrooms turning over daily is a great deal of work.  It is what hotels do and are staffed for.  If your area begins to restrict short term rentals, as is occurring in many places throughout the world, having 4 bedrooms and one bath for short term rental is "putting all your eggs in one basket".

If you have 2 studio apartments , you would appeal to both single night and multi night guests.  Also, you could more easily convert one or both to long term rentals.

Perhaps a middle ground is to divide into one self-contained studio and two bedrooms with a shared bath.  This allows a middle ground for 3 individual short term rentals while still allowing long term option for the studio and short term for the 2 bedrooms.  Just a thought.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jérémie35  I would say 2 studios. 4 bedrooms rented out to unrelated guests all sharing one bathroom becomes a hostel-type situation and presents more challenges- one guest stays up late and disturbs other guests, the bathroom would need to be cleaned probably several times a day, maybe one guest doesn't get along with another, one guest leaves dirty dishes around, etc.

Jérémie35
Level 2
Aiseau-Presles, BE

Thank you for your ideas!

I didn't take into account the possible lack of good manners on the guests part indeed, and several instances of cleaning per day...

I guess I'll start with one studio downstairs anyway, see how it goes and then adapt the second floor accordingly.